win mod70 308 win heavy varmint--barrel twist??

C

CADDIE5

I am going to shoot Camp Perry this year and need to know if the win mod70 Heavy Varmint with 26" barrel was a 1-10 or 1-12 twist (circa 1993).This will determine if I shoot 185's or 210's. Thanks for all of your help

Common twist rates for the 308 Win is 1 in 12, unless you buy the super match 14 from Springfield armory which has a 1 in 10, all others from them are listed as 1 in 11. Remington in its varmint class lists all 308s with 1 in 12. So it in all probabilities it is a 12 twist.

DR

I have found with a 1-10 twist the 190gr works really well in the 308 nothing any heavier was as consistant at long range.

caddies:
That barrell is a "SCHNIDER" 1in12 twist. Mr. Schnider did all of the Metal work for the Heavy Varmint rifles in that era for Winchester. Most likely it will shoot the 175's well and the BC of 505 will work well at 1K.

Clarence

The custom shop Model 70 Sharpshooters had Schneider barrels from in that era (1993-1996?) It is a different barrel from the heavy varmint. I bought my first heavy varmint new (1994 I believe) and lusted over the Sharpshooter model at the time but it was twice the price for similar specs. I found two more heavy varmints later at prices I coudn't pass up. (too heavy for deer hunting). I found a lightly used Sharpshooter a couple of years ago and paid $1k. All are 308 WIn and all have 12" twist barrels. If any of those three heavy varmint barrels were made by Schneider it's a surprise to me. Maybe they were but I can't believe USRA would have failed to mention it in their advertising.

All four rifles shoot about the same, limited more by the cartridge (and the shooter) than the rifles. All have post-64 push feed short actions. The "Classic" claw feed action had not been re-introduced. The Sharpshooter has a noticeably smoother action and an A2 McMillan stock. The heavy varmints have HS Precision varmint stocks with a widened forestock suitable for shooting from bags.

CADDE5, I can't advise on bullets for Camp Perry. All of my shooting is around a mile elevation in Arizona and I can get away with much heavier bullets than most manufacturers recommend. They also fly faster and further from less drag. Air density matters in determining bullet stability and trajectory besides muzzle velocity and twist. Camp Perry is only about 600 ft above sea level. If you're at a significantly higher or warmer location where you develop your loads they will be less stable and have more drop when you get to Camp Perry. A 308 does not have much velocity to spare shooting at 1000 yards with a 26" barrel. Particularly if the cartridge is limited to the length of a standard short action magazine as in the Win 70 Heavy Varmint rifle. I don't know if it's practical to feed single shot in the Camp Perry matches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back