Win. 1885 .325WSM Load Help

W

WisconsinHunter

I recently got a 1885 Win. High Wall in .325WSM. I haven't ever loaded this caliber before and was hoping some people out there could give me some good starting loads and bullet type. Looking for whitetail, and elk loads if anyone has them. Thanks Brett

Well, I worked up some decent elk loads in a bolt rifle last Fall. I think the cartridge wants 200 gr bullets, I used Speer, Barnes TS, and Nosler Accubonds. All with decent target results. For me, Barnes was best, then Accubond, then Speer. Had a few 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" 3 shot groups at 300 yards.

For powder, I tried W760, IMR4350, N204, and SC4007. Ended up with 4350 behind Barnes and 4007 behind Accubonds. Best accuracy seemed to come near full-throttle.

WLRM primers.

If your going to use this cart on deer, shot placement will be critical. A clean shot won't yield much expansion, especially in the Barnes.

I'm not sure why I didn't try Nosler partitions in the first go-round. I did pick up a box and expect to see how they work this Spring. Might still be the best compromise. If I can just get them to shoot into 5-6" at 500...

Back