Will a tuner work for me

bigredplane

Just looking for some opinions. I have a older Anschutz Match 54(1613) 1977 one of the Xseries barrels. It seems to shoot OK as far as I can tell, I'm no expert, only been shooting for about 9 months. My question is do you think a tuner will help a older gun. We all know the barrel isn't new and got some wear to it. Just don't want to waste the money if not going to help like they do on the new high dollar guns. I'm looking at getting one the Harrel style tuners fron Dan Killough. Do you think I will need the tuner weight systems also. My barrel is 27.1" Anschuts barrels a little over .900 in DIA. Any thoughts on this would appreciated.:confused:

Scott

If you find that the present barrel will not shoot as consistently as you would like then change the barrel and get the tuner and weight system. Are you shooting benchrest or some other regime. My 2C for what ever it is worth. garrisone.

I am shooting Benchrest. I would change the barrel but one the for fun shoots I go to the rules are all factory guns ,but tuner's are allowed. But if I could fine a factory take off like new or new barrel I could put that on.

Scott

Scott, no reason in the world that bbl could not hang in there and shoot. The first thing you might do is give it a good cleaning, chamber and all to make sure you start out with a repeatable condition and then get the tuner with 1 3oz weight and have at it. You can always get more weights if you feel the need but that's a sane starting point.

The X actions were/are great shooters. I would not give up on that barrel before trying a tuner on it. I have 2 of them and one has a Kenyon trigger. Both are shooters.

New Question

I was just doing some measuring. My gun now is 45.250" long. My case in 51" If end up needing to add some of the screw on weights I think it will no longer fit in my case. Do you think I can screw the weights on and off to fit the gun back in the case, with out screwing up the tune on the gun? I looked and I can't find a gun case that's longer then 52". Does anyone know of one?

Scott

Last edited:
The weights will screw off and on but why risk messing up the treads on the tuner by takeing off the weights all the time. The only time I take the weights off my rifle is to clean them . That said you can clean the tuner and weights at the same time. There is a chance that you could get the weight and tuner treads crossed threaded. If you are going to take them off all the time then be very careful when you screw them on the tuner. Other opinions invited.garrisone.

My rifle will not fit in an AirGlide with the tuner weights attached, never been an issue with me. Thanks, Douglas

Back