Why not a 200-500 F-Class?

S

shot410ga

This came up on another site. Almost everyone is near a 200-500 yard range.
Very few are near a 600-1000 yard range. Why not a 200-500 F-Class so a lot more people can get involved? NRA take notice, this is a good idea. Keep the same rules, just shorten the course.

We run the only straight NRA Approved F-Class in New England at 300 yds. shoot and paste....talk about a challenge, 15 shots with no pits.......the VSRPA holds 300-500-600 and 600 yd. Prone Maches at Camp Jericho VTANG Base.

Some clubs run these kind of shoots. But, I'm talking about the NRA taking a position to add the shorter ranges to their rules. Presently, only 600-1000 yards are included. I think it's great for individual clubs to do this with the smaller targets. But they are really not F-Class, per the rules. At least that I can see... If I'm wrong, please advise.

As German states the NRA has targets set for mid range prone high power and F Class shooting at 300, 500, and 600 yards. I can assure you that at almost all if not every mid range prone match they will welcome anyone that wants to shoot shoot F Class. Only if the club doesn't have F Class Target would this be any problem. As Mike aka taildrag15x mentions, in Vermont we routinely have combination matches with midrange prone and F Class shooters on the line. These days I would say this is probably more the norm than unusual as F Class has become very popular.

I know I was one of the ones hoping the NRA would come up with 100 & 200yd reduced targets similar to the MR31 and 52. Sadly, this never happened. In hindsight... even if you limited it to a 'factory' class at those distances... I think it would be difficult to make the target 'hard enough' i.e. a straight mathematical reduction (1/2 moa X, 1 moa 10) wouldn't work... unless you went to perhaps 'worst edge' scoring, which would would have people howling - not the least of which because it would 'punish' the .30 cal shooters...

In Australia, F class is usualy shot from 3,5,6 yards and up to 1000 yds. Usualy a comp will start at 300 yds, then after each target move back a range. The problem with shoots at 300/400yds is target centers and spotting disks being destroyed and needing to be replaced every 2nd shooter.
200Yds would be too short for custom open class rifles, but great for hunting style guns.

rooshooter,

I hear your pain "The problem with shoots at 300/400yds is target centers and spotting disks being destroyed and needing to be replaced every 2nd shooter.
200Yds would be too short for custom open class rifles, but great for hunting style guns."

I like to use WHITE or YELLOW Golf Tees as spotters at 300, 500 and 600, not as much damage to the Target Center with those.

I was thinking of trying a "benchrest style" 15 bull target with 2 sighter targets for use at 100/200 yd., it would add the movement required to get on a new center for each shot. I also plan on reducing the time per shot to 20-30 sec. this could get the sweat to run and make it interesting even with a 1/4 moa rifle.

I think for short range it would be best to go the smallbore/miniplama route. Or change to benchrest group or score shooting. Trying to turn a midrange/longrange sport into something it is not really won't work. The equipment is totally wrong. Shooting smallbore at 100-200 yards will also help improve your F Class shooting more.

I think a target printed on sheets the size of what hunter BR uses with more smaller bulls with a very small X-ring - 1/4" - (or even use their standard for scoring rings because of the distance) to where you could get say, 15 record bulls plus a sighter bull (four rows of four) might be worth while. As mentioned, the moving from bull to bull is going to screw people up royally.

JCummings. Smalbore at 100-200 yds is something I would love to do for training. It would simulate 600 and 1000 yd centerfire shooting at a more accessable range.

Back