Which Primer-6BR?

C

chomondely

New to the 6BR, but Iv'e done quite a bit of reloading.
Lawton barrel and action. Short range, 200 to 300 yrds.
I have been using Tula primers for my other shooting with good results.

What is your thoughts as to:
Federal?
Tula?
CCI?
Remington?

Will I see a differcee betweeen the benchrest primers and the regular primer given the range?
I know that it would be best to try them all and see what works best, but given the difilculty in obtaing any I would like to focus on what works best for most folks.
I have a decent supply of Berger bullets, Varget, H380, at least for now.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Chomondely

I've used CCI BR4's and Federal 205M's in mine. The CCI's have a little harder cup, but aside from that I'm indifferent. In terms of accuracy I can't tell a difference.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
If you are shooting high pressure loads CCI450's work best. Most 600 yard shooters use this primer in their 30+ grain loads of Varget with heavy bullets.

Which Primer -6BR?

Pick one and try it. over the screens see which one give the best results as to standard deviation and extreme spreads.
That the one thing we have no control over , lots of primers.
A few years ago I shot wolf primers with good results . I would try a few of each to see what my rifle / load combination likes best.

Buy a case of Federals and don't look back. Primers are critical...and then not. The Federals will keep you on the good side of primers for the duration.

BTW - if you have to save to buy a case, then start saving. If a case is not enough to hold you for a few days then buy more of the same lot.

When i ran out of my old lot of Feds. from the 90's, i was using for fire forming. the new one's were blanking with 30 gr. of Varget in a Dasher with a 108 berger. All things never stay the same including Federal GM primers. CCI 450's are the best in BR and Dasher with the 103-115 bullets the lowest ES. and smallest groups of any primer i tried…… jim

Back