Which off the shelf rifle to accurize

H

huntinfool

Which rifle would you choose off the shelf to build/accurize? I have a .280 Ackley hunting rifle built by Gordy Gritters that is beyond phenominal. I just shot three groups with it in the mid 1's. I want to build something for fun, but am thinking of getting a factory rifle and having it tweaked, such as a bushed bolt, bedding, recrown, trueing etc. (to save money) unless it shot excellent the way it was. I have a few choices on my mind. It would be a paper puncher/prairie dog rifle.

Remington 5R Milspec (.308)

Savage 12 Long Range Precision Varminter in .223 (1-9")
http://www.savagearms.com/12PrecVarm.htm

Remington 700 VLS in .308

The problem with having nice custom rifles is it spoils you. You come to expect more from factory rifles. If you can accept that a good one might shoot 1/2"-3/4" range with some regularity.(there are exceptions). A
If your shooting at close ranges a .308 is to punishing to set behind all day.
The .223 is a good choice and you might also drop down and read the thread about the .204 as it's getting rave reviews.

Hal

Last edited:
which rifle??

6mm br ; a kreiger barrel ; 8 twist for 500 yards or more, 12 twist for 500 yards or less. remington action (trued ) and a shilen triggger. stock of your choice.

I have a .280 Ackley hunting rifle built by Gordy Gritters that is beyond phenominal. I just shot three groups with it in the mid 1's.

Sweeeet! That is one EXCELLENT cartridge! I'll bet it SHOOTS!

Your choises are good. I'd say that if you can do all your own metal work OR you know a smith whom can do the work reasonable/timely... Then all the above.
If you don't have the access.... Then the Savage. You can for the most part, you can take it to a whole new level of accuracy with "bolting on Hi-end" components.

Think hard about the VLP IF you might carry the thing in the field... LRPV is HEAVY!

good luck,
cale

I question your choice of a .308 for prairie dogs...not really a great trajectory.

But anyway, I love the Remington action, and you'll find more smiths willing to work on it for you. I just like the feel of it better than the Savage.

Savage lets you swap out barrels yourself much easier than Remingtons.

I'm one of those dorks shooting .204 Ruger and would recommend it over a .223 in whichever make you choose.

My 700 VLS in .204 really shoots. I've got a .204 SPS V that I'm going to rig up to be a field gun...and I'm considering a sporter to supplement both of 'em with, too. I had a CZ527 V in .204 Ruger that shot well, too...but it was long in the throat and the most accurate load wouldn't in the magazine. It finally got 4 or 5k rounds, heck might have been 6k and the groups started to open up to about .75 moa and I traded it off.

So if you get a chance, compare the .204 and the .223 ballistically.

ETA: Glad to hear of your 280 AI success! I'm in the process of building one on a long 700 stainless action, Shilen bbl, haven't picked a stock, and a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest with a knobs installed.

Back