Which model 52 do I have? Sights?

D

deadeye_ruck

Guys,

I recently picked up a Winchester Model 52 and i'm not quite sure what i have got on my hands. The serial number is 398XX The serial number does not end with a B, C, or D, just numbers. According to the information i have found it was made on February 17, 1937. I am pretty confident that i have I Model 52-C in the heavy target configuration. The barrel diameter is .875" at the muzzle.

DSCN2640.jpg

DSCN2641.jpg

DSCN2643.jpg

DSCN2644.jpg

DSCN2645.jpg

My questions are:

1. If this is a 52-C then how come no B, C or D suffix? Most of the information i have read about 52's says they had suffix's on the end of the serial number. Is this just an early model?

2. I have a redfield international rear peep. Is there any way i can mount this sight on this rifle? I understand that some had holes drilled on the left side of the receiver for some sort of mount? My rifle does not have any holes (as you can see) drilled in the left side of the receiver. If the redfield I have won't work then what will? I'd prefer to stay with peep sights.
I also have the redfield international front that fits fine.

Guys, i really appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks,
Ruck

52A has the safety on the left side. the b was moved to the right sometime late 36 or early 37. where the large dovetail is are where the original sights fit.

Its not a "C" as you may think. It appears to be a pre-A in a "B" stock. Your Redfields will not work here but sights were made that fit the receiver dovetail including the Lyman 48. That little notch in the stock on the left side was for clearance of the 48 elevation screw, however that may well have been when there was a "B" in the "B" stock.
Others that know much more than I will be able to let you know.

bjm

Well, without a suffix, it should be a pre-A. But the bolt is different than my pre-A. The serial number would indicate an A with speedlock made in early 1936 according to my reference book. It does look like a B though.

top notch

Guys, you all are top notch. I really appreciate all of the insight. I had no idea! I was thinking 52C however i also noticed that the there were no screws for trigger adjustment on the underside of the rifle. It makes sense.

It's the first 52 i have had experience with and i look forward to getting it setup to shoot. As I understand it, you all have told me that either I have an early model B or some sort of "pre-A" in a "B" stock. Would this have been a factory modification? It sure looks like it came this way from the factory and nothing is buggered up or messed with but i also know there are quite a few good smiths out there.

Keep the info coming guys! Thanks again!

I was going to suggest that's a cmp stock? sure looks like one. look where the barrel band should be.

which model 52

I know what mine is for sure. The owner bought it new in 38.
It belonged to FRANK JAMES he was on the 38 dewer team and an avid benchrest shooter in, later years,
My 52 is identical to yours.
It has that wide dove tail for a ladder sight on it also.
I also have a later B that has a slightly different style bridge but has a higher serial number.
The stock and the trigger definately are the B,
The A had a different stock , with a barrel band and a step ladder sight in that wide dove tail in the rear bridge. I also have a C and a D.
Both have the micro motion triggers. The C stock is very similar to the
B stock with the short area in front for the hand stop. The D model has a full length rail that goes right down to the trigger guard.
The trigger guards are the same on a c and B.
The D is really a lot different.
Any one of these will shoot really well with good ammo.

Thanks

I'm reasonably sure it's not from cmp but I could be wrong. The previous owner had it for a looong time before finally selling it to me.

Gary do you have any additional info on your rifle? I'm glad to find someone who has seen something like this. What type of ammo does it like?

This 52 is an "A" model that was manufactured with all the "A" features, but was not stamped as such. Model 52 "A" production began at about the mid s/n 36xxx mark. They were not actually stamped with "A" suffix until about s/n 40000. The reason for the "A" revision was to alleviate a safety engagement problem that had hounded the 52's since their inception. The receiver/safety lever were both changed at this revision level and the problem was solved. The later "B" models had the safety redesigned again along with the trigger, and the safety lever was moved to RH side of action.
Brian is correct, the stock is actually a Marksman "B" model. Which was one of 2 different stocks offered on the "B" Target models. The barrel tension adjusting screw running horizontally through the forearm is the dead giveaway. The later "C" model Marksman stocks had the adjustment screw running vertically from the bottom of the forend. Also note the slot for the "B" safety on the rh side of stock. The stock is not original to this gun.
Steve

Last edited:
which model 52

I guess your getting this from a book.
I only know what Frank told be in regards to this rifle i have.
I also have a B heavy Barrel which only 1100 were made.
It has a higher number also it is different on the receiver
bridge,
My particular rifle is not Fussy about AMMO'
I have shot many different kinds with good results.
Right now i shoot the SK Match target and it shoots great.
I have shot as high as 248 on the IR' 50/50 with this rifle a while ago.
It's a wonderful rifle.
Work the trigger a bit if you can and it should shoot better then you can hold it.
Ps I glass bedded Mine''' action only

Last edited by a moderator:
which model 52

Gosh your correct it is an I didn't pick up on that left side,
Other then that i would say it looked just like my B.
I missed that left side lever :eek:

Back