which barrel to keep

• Thread starter vincentvangerve
  • Start date
V

vincentvangerve

First; A friendly hello to all from Europe:)

Guys, i got a dilemma here, you might be able to give some advice about the following: as a long time high power PCP airgun enthousiast i got my hands on an airforce condor airrifle. As most will know, a lot of peole mod them to their liking.

As for me, i bought 2 green mountain 25 inch barrel blanks in .22 caliber.

One is a 1:14 twist wmr barrel, this one;
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=324059

the other one a 1:9 5.56 ar15 type barrel, this one;
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=324057

I can't find the exact specs at the moment, but i'm like 90 percent sure the 1:14 barrel has got a bore size of .219-.223 and the 1:9 a .220-.224 bore.

Took a few shots over a chrony; With a standard valve and 3000psi pressure the bullet will fly at approximately 250 to 280 meters per second, so definately subsonic, at around 65 to 70 footpounds of energy.
Yesterday i had the time to test them ad 35/40 yards with some roundnose 40 grainers, and both seem to perform equally well. Tried 30 grainers, but they were all over the place..

Now, the situation is as following: i'll be moving to another country soon, where it is perfectly legal to shoot airguns, and i can take one barrel with me. The rifle and one barrel will be sold. I've found one 40 grainer over here that groups really well, but it's questionable wether i can get that exact same one again.

So here comes my question:

Which barrel to keep??

I'm planning to shoot either 30 or 40 grainers with one of the barrels (for instance those daystate bullets)& maybe even some pulled aguila sss 60 grainers, at max 300 metres per second. I'm trying to choose which barrel has the best chance of performing well at distances up to about 100 yards.

Will the 1:9 twist spin the bullet to fast at longer ranges, loosing accuracy, or will the 1:14 be too slow to stabilize the bullet at longer ranges?

Looking forward to your input, with kind regards, Vincent

First; A friendly hello to all from Europe:)

Guys, i got a dilemma here, you might be able to give some advice about the following: as a long time high power PCP airgun enthousiast i got my hands on an airforce condor airrifle. As most will know, a lot of peole mod them to their liking.

As for me, i bought 2 green mountain 25 inch barrel blanks in .22 caliber.

One is a 1:14 twist wmr barrel, this one;
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=324059

the other one a 1:9 5.56 ar15 type barrel, this one;
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=324057

I can't find the exact specs at the moment, but i'm like 90 percent sure the 1:14 barrel has got a bore size of .219-.223 and the 1:9 a .220-.224 bore.

Took a few shots over a chrony; With a standard valve and 3000psi pressure the bullet will fly at approximately 250 to 280 meters per second, so definately subsonic, at around 65 to 70 footpounds of energy.
Yesterday i had the time to test them ad 35/40 yards with some roundnose 40 grainers, and both seem to perform equally well. Tried 30 grainers, but they were all over the place..

Now, the situation is as following: i'll be moving to another country soon, where it is perfectly legal to shoot airguns, and i can take one barrel with me. The rifle and one barrel will be sold. I've found one 40 grainer over here that groups really well, but it's questionable wether i can get that exact same one again.

So here comes my question:

Which barrel to keep??

I'm planning to shoot either 30 or 40 grainers with one of the barrels (for instance those daystate bullets)& maybe even some pulled aguila sss 60 grainers, at max 300 metres per second. I'm trying to choose which barrel has the best chance of performing well at distances up to about 100 yards.

Will the 1:9 twist spin the bullet to fast at longer ranges, loosing accuracy, or will the 1:14 be too slow to stabilize the bullet at longer ranges?

Looking forward to your input, with kind regards, Vincent

I would go with the 1..9 twist barrel,you can shoot up to 75 grain bullets,and the 40 grain bullets should shoot ok,and just forget the 30 grainers.

ehm right, 70 fpe is just enough to shoot some bugs and bees :rolleyes:

hi, here we are again

posted the same question at the cast boolit forum & the yellowforum, (an american airgunforum), and it's interesting to see that the airgunnners put their money on the 1:9 twist barrel, whereas the cast boolit maker say i should do best with the 1:14 version.

here's the thread on the cast boolit forum :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=32907

So,another question: do you guys know which barrel twist you normally need for a stabilising a subsonic 40/44 grain powder powered bullet ? That would be a very similar situation to the conditions that are present when i 'fire' a round at 250 to 300 meters per second with this bullet....

Back