Which Anschutz?

E

ErnieJ

I'm new to the sport and need some advice.Looks like the best Anschutz for bench rest is either the 1907 or 1913.Which barrel length is better? Also Champion Shooters is offering these models with a Kelby stock.Is this a smart move? I appreciate the help.

Are they offering those models in the Kelbly stock or do you have to buy one in another stock and then buy the stock? Also, is the barrel bedded or only inletted? Based on the price, I would say inletted only. If that's the case, you can purchase the barreled action from Champion's Choice and then purchase either a Kelbly or McMillan stock for the action. As far as which is better, aren't they both 54 actions? If so, then only the barrel length makes a difference, in which case I would go for a 690 mm, but I lke a longer barrel. If you intend to later upgrade the barrel, you might simply consider a good used 54 action. You would probably save enough money to pay for most of the upgrade.

Generally speaking.....

The 1907 barreled action (smaller barrel dia.) will be easier to tune with a tuner attached.

The 1913 barreled action (larger barrel dia.) "should" shoot better right out of the box.

That's my experience with 5-6 of each of those actions.

Hose

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Anschutz

What is the barrel diameter difference between the 1907 and 1913?

Mine measures 21.25mm on the 1907 and 24.5mm on the 1913.

I takes quite a few more turns of the tuner to see a difference on my 1913 than the 1907.

I also have a BR sporter profile barrel on a 54:18 and it is real sensitive to tuner changes. That barrel is 19mm dia. the whole length

Mike

That 1913 has a big barrel; the 1907 is closer to current barrels made for current BR tuner theory. How do they shoot comparatively without a tuner?

Hoser, you seem to be somewhat of an Anschutz expert or at least an enthusiast. While I don't want to turn this thread in another direction, I have a couple of questions. From what I see Anschutz has two primary actions, the 64 and 54 (exclusive of the 2000 series). Are all the number designations simply indications of different stock and barrel configurations?

Also, can a pure factory Anschutz be truly competitive in today's rimfire BR games? A few years ago, I would have said yes. Now, I'm not so sure. Actually, I'm not even sure they can be consistently competitive with major modifications by good gunsmiths; although I do know of a few older types that do very well. This may be for different reasons, not the least of which most major gunsmiths do not seem that interested in the Anschutz. Bill Calfee now seems interested if he can get the action threaded from the factory, but that's just an aside.

Finally, does the 2000 series use the same bolt as the 54? It appears to be the same.

Last edited:
I always found the 1913 shot better from the bench than the 1907 right out of the box. No tuner, bedding etc.

Anschutz model numbers can refer to both an action/barrel combination OR a complete configuation:

True there are 3 current action types: 64, 54 and 2000.

The 54 and 2000 do share the same bolt and triggers.

The 4 number designations can refer to either a barreled action OR a complete rifle configuration.

A 1907 ACTION refers to a 54 action with the smaller diameter barrel, usually 660mm in length. Obvious by the "step down" of the barrel just in front of the action.

A 1907 RIFLE denotes a position type of rifle, which will have a wedge profile "position" style stock, and a 1907 action.

A 1913 (or any of the xx13) ACTION will have the heavy barrel.

But a 1913 RIFLE will have a "free rifle" type of stock with all kinds of adjustments, but usually is defined by the narrow straight forend. BUT anschutz did catalog a 1913 rifle with a position stock.

AND to confuse the matter , you could buy a 1911 RIFLE...which is the prone type stock, but it could be equipped with either the xx07 or xx13 barreled action.

A 20xx (Some dealers call it the 54S) RIFLE will have the square action, with a choice of 2 barrel diameters.

Can an Anschutz be competitive out of the box?

I shot my first ARA competition with an Anschutz BR-50 (2007 action with a 500mm factory stainless barrel.). I shot better than 1/2 of the competitors there that day. There were 30 shooters and it was a State Championship. I used a $50 front rest with a home made bag.

So I was "competitive" with the middle of the pack people.

I shot my second match with a stock 1911 prone rifle (1913 action) , and I scored better than my first outing, but ended up 12th of a 17 shooter match.

I used that same gun to win 4 of my last 7 prone matches. With my 100 yard scores always offering the winning magin.

Hose

Are these Kelby stocks from Champion's -for the 54 action ready to drop in and do you need to pillar bed and glass bed also. Need to know asap if possible. mudd turtle.

The bolts may be the same but I don't think they will inner change with each other. Somone who knows more than I do can correct my statement.mudd turtle.

Can't get an answer about the Kelby stocks.Champions closed until Jan. 2nd.

I think I asked them once and they were fully inletted and a rifle could be mounted, but, if I recall correctly, they were not bedded. If it turns out they are, it's a great deal.

RE: 2000 series and newer (18xx and 19xx) 54 series bolts (not including the 54 sporter wing-safety bolts):

The bolts are "the same" insofar as any bolt will interchange as long as the barrel is headspaced to the bolt.

Earlier 54 "wing safety" bolts are not interchangeable with "non-wing safety bolts from newer actions.

Anschutz bolts are serial numbered to the action.

Replacement bolts that were never installed in barreled actions at the factory and supplied to authorized gunsmiths do not have a serial number on the bolt face.

Hose

Hoser,

You seem to be a wealth of information on Anschutz rifles. You said some dealers refer to the 2000 series as the 54S. Does the "S" mean "square" or "split"? Also is there a difference in actions of the 2007 and 2013? I have heard one is longer but doubt it. Finally, do you know why the 2000 series was discontinued? Cost? Lack of need? Not selling? Won't shoot?

Are these Kelby stocks from Champion's -for the 54 action ready to drop in and do you need to pillar bed and glass bed also. Need to know asap if possible. mudd turtle.

The Kelbly stocks are inletted for the match 54 actions. They have aluminium pillars but would benefit from glass bedding, the inletting on mine was very tight on the action. The stocks are stiff and resonably well made but extremely light so it depends on what class you are shooting in.

If you are going to glass bed, be careful, the stocks are foam filled and the skin is a relatively thin layer of fiber glass, you would need to be careful when relieving the action area prior to bedding or you will be into the foam core.

One thing I did like was the trigger guard which has a flat on the back, good for “trigger pinching”.

The 54S designation was the factory's development term, and it stuck with a few distributors. Anschutz actions aren't marked...the barrels are. I think the S meant "special".

There is no difference among 20xx actions.

About the discontinued status, I don't have any infomation. I have a friend stationed in the Air Force in Germany, and he thought the supply of 20xx rifles were drying up there also.

Champions Choice shows a new shipment of 2013 rifles in stock.

One last thing...my friend "speculates" that Anschutz buys the 20xx actions from another manufacturer, as he didn't think they had the facilities to investment cast, plate, harden that action.

Back