Which Anschutz to buy?

O

Okietrader

I shoot in a club 50 yd .22 benchrest match that requires a magazine fed rifle weighing no more that 9.5 lbs. My scope and rings weigh 1 lb 1 oz. My tuner weighs 8 oz. If needed I have a clamp on 3" forend that weighs 11 oz.
I like the 64 F-Class but I couldn't put the tuner on without being over weight. I also like the 1416 HB T6M 23" barrel but would be overweight with all the above (I could leave the tuner off). I could make weight with the 18" barrel but would I be sacrificiing any accuracy? My budget is in the neighborhood of $2k. So, get a heavier gun, longer barrel without the tuner or a shorter barrel using everything. I also looked at the 1712 AV 18" barrel but it's a little high. I had a 1407 repeater but couldn't compete with the other guys. One of them shoots a 64 with a chopped up stock to make weight and wins often. I saw a 54 barreled repeater action on Champion's choice I considered but I prefer the 5098 two stage trigger. Thanks!!!

Annies

You might want to consider leaving the tuner off and using top quality ammo to minimise the variations that a barrel tuner compensates for. You would have to find the ammo that your Annie is happy with but RWS R50 and Eley Tenex are a good start although recently in an Aussie winter (we do have them) I found that my Annie '54 likes Lapua Polar Biathlon when the temp drops below 10°C.

* doghunter *

Thanks dog hunter

Are you faniliar with the Annie 64 F-Class? It seems like that might be the best option w/o a tuner.

Are you faniliar with the Annie 64 F-Class? It seems like that might be the best option w/o a tuner.

Although our local club (Oz) rules are not tight as your Annie F-Class the general consensus is that the Annie '54 (wing safety) action has the edge over the '64 action. My trigger is about 6oz, some of my friends Annie 64's are down to about 2oz.

As I said, had to carefully select ammo/test for best results and the biggest improvement was to make some decent wind flags and learn how to read them (after advice on this thread).

Just managed to knock off the club annual score for 4th year in a row and shooting against Annie '64's (some that were fitted with tuners etc) so nothing wrong with the older action; - just learn how to shoot it and practice, practice and then practice a bit more. If you are not using wind flags then get some and learn how to read them. Then practice a bit more!

Regards * doghunter *

54 Wing Safety

Mr Anschutz in 22RFBR "Joe Besche " has told me many Times that the 54 wing safety is the only model to accquire due to its superior ignition over the rest of Anschutz models ! Red Shoes is one of the Top 22RFBR shooters in the World ! He uses two and has for at least 10 years shooting ARA and has won The Triple Crown twice !

Last edited:
How about buying a used ir5050 /ara sporter? They are out there,will make weight easy and will be competitive on a club match. Todd

I shoot in a club 50 yd .22 benchrest match that requires a magazine fed rifle weighing no more that 9.5 lbs. My scope and rings weigh 1 lb 1 oz. My tuner weighs 8 oz. If needed I have a clamp on 3" forend that weighs 11 oz.
I like the 64 F-Class but I couldn't put the tuner on without being over weight. I also like the 1416 HB T6M 23" barrel but would be overweight with all the above (I could leave the tuner off). I could make weight with the 18" barrel but would I be sacrificiing any accuracy? My budget is in the neighborhood of $2k. So, get a heavier gun, longer barrel without the tuner or a shorter barrel using everything. I also looked at the 1712 AV 18" barrel but it's a little high. I had a 1407 repeater but couldn't compete with the other guys. One of them shoots a 64 with a chopped up stock to make weight and wins often. I saw a 54 barreled repeater action on Champion's choice I considered but I prefer the 5098 two stage trigger. Thanks!!!

Give me a call I would be glad to help you.
at 830-796-0815
Joe

I just acquired an Anschutz Biathlon 7-2-KO. I am still new to the .22 game, but love it and want to learn all I can. I have had some people tell me this should make for a great benchrest rifle. Is anyone familiar with this rifle and could you recommend what changes I need to look into? It is completely stock as far as I know. Thank you for any info.

https://imgur.com/a/AwROI

https://imgur.com/a/AS6fo

https://imgur.com/a/tzvlk

Back