which 22-250 bullet?

S

shakewell519

Hi, I have a 22-250 and the twist is 1 in 12" I was wondering which grain bullets I should be shooting for accuracy on paper?

Bullets

I use Bart's 52 grain benchrest bullet, very good. You may have to experiment a little bit with several different kinds to see what your gun likes

Kirk J Larson

12 twist

typically a 12 twist will like bullets from 50 to 60 grain range. try some and see what your rifle likes best and feed it to um. your custom bullets with flat bases will tune the easiest. i use sierra (55gr Blitzkings for woodchucks, 52 gr matchkings for paper) as they are less expensive than the custom made ones. however that said, if your going for the money and not just punching paper cost is of no consiquence. anyhow have fun. the 22-250 is one of my favorites. Greg Moyer

40gr V-Max

bullets are ussually the best in my rifle. I have a Savage 12 FV in .22-250 with a 1:12 twist. The largest bullet that twist will stablize is 60grs. I load 40gr V-Max bullets and shoot one hole groups at 100 yards. (5 shots in a group) I've taken head shots on ground hogs at 500 yards on a cold bore with 40gr. bullets. They are extremely acurrate and completely blow up on impact. They almost never exit ground hogs. :D

Shakewell519: Be sure to try the Berger 52 gr. bullets in your 22-250. I have had great performance from them.
Best of luck to ya.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

i also just tested a load with seirra 52gr match bullets. I first seated 5 rounds .020, .010 and .005 off the lands. .005 off the lands while using the middle powder charge gave me .5MOA accuracy and i havent even began to mess with the powder charge yet. I was using varget if you wanted to know.

I use knight and barts 52gr with great success in all my .22cals. and fireball fred- custom made bullets are usually cheaper than factory bullets and there is no sorting needed.

Get a box of 52gr Sierra MK's and a box of 53gr Sierra MK's and let your rifle decide. Then start buying them in bulk.

Sierra and Bergers and tune it with seating depth and H380 powder.

22-250 is an easy round to tune.

Another vote for the 52gr. Berger's. I used to shoot the SMK's till I bought a box of them. Now I have several hundred SMK's that sit on my shelf! No contest in both of my 250's.

When I had my 22-250 I never shot target bullets, but of the polymer tipped bullets the 55gr vmax was most acuurate( perhaps because it is flat based) in front of 38.5 grs H380. aver. group size at 100yds was under 3/8".

52 gr.Bergers

Another vote for the 52 gr. Bergers 39.2 H380.If you want good CHEAP bullets the Bulk Win. 55gr.sp in 7860 count cases ( IF you can find them) I think their in 2000ct. now,they were great with 38 grs. H-380 5/8in. or so at 200yds.:D

ground hog head shot

it might have been luck that i shot him in the head but thats the only thing of him that i could see. he was facing directly toward me on his belly. oh, and 500 yards was a guess, i used google maps and a dial caliper to figure out he was actually 604 yards if you want to be exact. :D I found where the ground hog was, then where i was, and with my dial caliper measured the distance between me and the ground hog then used the scale google maps provided to figure out exactly how far he was. Its amazing how accurate these bullets are. (40gr. V-max) In another instance i shot a ground hog @ 330 yards cold bore. seen him at the creek from my window and popped him. The Savage 12FV i own is a shooter especailly coupled with accurate bullets. When i shoot factory 40gr V-maxes it groups a little over 1 MOA. With hand loads its one hole groups.

Back