What's With " BARREL TUNERS "

S

schooner

Hi Guys (Newbie Here) :D
I just read a little about Barrel Tuners and became very interested in them. I own a 542 CZ .22cal. rifle
I would like to know if you guys can please tell me what and how the tuners work - 4 - U? Also is their a tuner that can fit my 452 .22? More questions please: Where can I buy one 4 my rifle and what's the best one out there?
THANKS GUYS
:eek:

A rimfire (any barrel) will flex when subjected to the vibration of firing.

Centerfire shooters have the luxury to adjust loads and projectiles to suit the barrel but when shooting rimfire this is not usually possible so the barrel has to be 'tuned' to shoot to the the chosen ammo. Adding a carefully adjusted weight to the barrel might improve your scores but sort out the ammo that your barrel likes before getting too keen.

* doghunter *

For what purpose are you using your rifle? Sure, you can put a tuner on your CZ, but getting it to fit may be difficult depending on which model you have (452 isn't specific enough). Your barrel is most likely too small of diameter for a Harrels or Hoehn tuner.

The other side of it is it is probably a waste of money without also replacing the stock as a standard 452 stock is not really conducive to riding bags. The purpose of the tuner is to help manage the barrel oscillation so it is more consistent to where the end of the barrel is when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Now, if it is a 455, then you can get an aftermarket Lilja barrel that will be easier to fit a tuner to. Also, if you are using inexpensive ammo, it will also partially negate any improvements created by the tuner.

My opinion for a CZ 452, simply shoot it and enjoy it. They are pretty accurate guns out of the box for what they are.

Back