What's a 40-X BR worth?

alinwa

oft dis'd member
A guy came to the range today with a mint 40X-BR five digit with the original sliding "Rem" adjustable parallax Unertl on it..........bone stock and few rds fired. Itty-bitty stamps on the barrel

How much are these actually going for nowadays?

I know that there have been some threads......I'll search it too.

thanx

al

40xbr values

Hi Al,
I bought a known tack-driver .222 in 40xbr with Redding micro--top dies & some other stuff, brass, loaded rounds, for $1200.
A friend of mine bought the same model rifle with a clean weaver t-20 on it for $1200.
Thse might both be a little high, but both are excellent examples & low round counts. Both are the heavy shorter barrels, & flat-forended stocks.
I hope this helps,
Steve Long.

At the show this weekend there was an example in .223 Rem. They asked $1520...a bit steep IMO. I wouldn't give more for a 40X than I could build a better 700 for.

40xbr

That scope has a great deal of value depending. I gave 1100 for my 40xbr in mint condition 2 yrs ago.

The scope was what got my attention, and the factory barrel. The rifle is a 22-250.

I'd heard that the prices of these things as collectibles had skyrocketed, just figgered I'd ask how much this month :)

I know that they don't SHOOT any better..........I wouldn't pay a hunnerd dollars over an ADL for just the action, but this is a nice original rifle. It's not for sale and I'm not buying...........this is an interest-only question.

al

40xbr values

Hey, dummy me here- I thought oltime hunter was referring to my friend's t-20 scope.
YEH those old InertL's are getting pretty pricey. Pretty classey though.
Steve.

The 40XB-BRs, or 40XBRs, seem to be around in the price range mentioned-$1000 to $1400. Most of the ones I've seen are either .222 or .223. The interesting point about the one your asking about is that it's a .22/250- that was not a "cataloged" chambering in the BR, realizing of course that the 40X could be ordered for most any cartridge (except a .17!).

The 'scope may be worth almost as much as the gun. This topic has been discussed several times, but Mike Walker mentioned in one of his PS interviews that less than 500 were made, and he'd converted several to internal adjustments!

Sounds like the rig might be a good investment.

Good shooting.:D

Can't be factory 2 oz. with a safety, or factory installed in a repeater- Looks clean though.

Good shooting.

I have a 40xbr Chambered in 6mm remington with a 20 inch barrel, and a Flat walnut BR stock 2oz trigger with no safety. Dad had it built in the early 70's, and it has less than 100 rounds thru it, but it is a sweet shooter. I have always just liked the 40xbrs for some reason.

Forgot to mention that, contrary to the urban legend, the Remington scopes were actually made by Remington, not Unertl, although some were equipped with Unertl mounts.

Good shooting.

Wapiti,

Can you tell more?

This scope is deeply roll-stamped or maybe even cast? with the Rem logo and is mfgd with a rib on top which slides in the recess in the mount. I'd only handled one a little 30yrs ago and maybe seen one other in a rack, other than that just books and references. I called it a Unertl because I didn't know better. So are there some like THIS >>>>> http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=868031207 <<< ONE that actually DO have Unertl's? Or is this an aftermarket copy or clone?

Thanks

al

Al,
I'm sure you're aware that the referenced picture is a SS 40XB with a Unertl Ultra Varmint on it, and not an XBR with a factory scope.

Since this thread came up I've had a chance to talk to my little shooting clique, and have rediscovered the best write-up on the scopes that any of us know about, in addition to the various mentions in PS previously noted.

That article appeared in PRECISION SHOOTING SPECIAL EDITION NO.2, November 1994, and was written by Jeff Aberegg. Jeff has posted on this site many times, and possibly will see this and comment.

In order to avoid plaguarism issues or copywrite violations, I will only say that Jeff's research for the article puts the production at around 550, mostly 20Xs, some 24Xs, with either Unertl (marked) or Remington (unmarked) mounts.

You may be able to find the PS issue through a dealer, or perhaps Jeff or Dave Brennan.

Hope this helps.

Good Deal!!

Wapiti,

Can you tell more?

This scope is deeply roll-stamped or maybe even cast? with the Rem logo and is mfgd with a rib on top which slides in the recess in the mount. I'd only handled one a little 30yrs ago and maybe seen one other in a rack, other than that just books and references. I called it a Unertl because I didn't know better. So are there some like THIS >>>>> http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=868031207 <<< ONE that actually DO have Unertl's? Or is this an aftermarket copy or clone?

Thanks

al

At the risk of touching off another firestorm about the value of 40Xs, the guy who paid $1300 for the one you pictured got a helluva good deal!! The scope alone might sell for $700+. Why don't I ever get deals like that??

Here's mine......

A 1967 U.S. marked 40XB .22 rimfire, heavy barrel, with a Remington 20 power XBR scope...I got the rifle with the original cardboard shipping container from Rock Island Arsenal, white VCI sock, etc....

regards

40x4.jpg

I purchased my (used) 40XB in 6mm International with the 2 0z trigger in the late 70s. I has been an excellant varmit rifle but I haven't really shot it much. It gives me 3/8" groups pretty consistantly and without much effort to find the best load.

In the early 90s I met and made friends with Merle "Mike" Walker, the man who developed the 721/722, 700 and 40x rifles and a load of commercial cartridges, such as the .222, .22-250, 7mm Mag., and the 6m International wildcat for Remington. He also developed the first 20/24x scopes for bench shooters that would mount on the action instead of the barrel after teaching himself the fundamentals of scope optics. He is a bright guy, for a Yankee. ;)

He got his ground glass from the same people who made lenses for the Lyman Super Targetspot scopes and used Unertl mounts. The tube and assembly was done at the Remington plants in Illion, NY, so it was a Remington product with components from others and is the scope 1911 illustrates above. While I watched, Mike assembled a treasured 20x for me with parts he still had in his little home shop in Lady Lake, FL, at the time. He moved and now lives a few miles from me, near Hendersonville, NC. He's old, frail and nearly deaf but still ambeling along pretty well for his age.

My 40XB now wears that Remmy scope and I have often wondered what the collector value of the combination would be. This thread sort of prompted me to tell the story, not that it matters much to the original topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back