What to use to strip finish off a Remington stock?

DSM

Chuck
I have an 870 stock that the high gloss factory finish is starting to flake off on the sharp(adjustable comb) edges and I would like to strip it down to the wood. Anyone recommend a stripper that will cut the Remington high gloss finish? The checkering is pressed and how would I strip the finish out?

DSM-I've done 3-4 of them and use a product calle Super Stripeze. Works well. V/R Greg

When you have put the goop on the stock and let it do its' thing, i have found the easiest way to clean the goop and the old finish off. Get some wood shavings at the pet store that they use for hamster bedding. Grab a handful of shavings and use it to wipe the scum off the stock. When you are done just sweep up the shavings and the mess is gone. For some reason this seems to soak up the finish remover better than just about anything else. A handful of coarse sawdust works well too, but is a little messier.

Try Citristrip.

Look at this gem. Seems a lad "refinished" it using an unknown type of black paint applied with $.29 brush over the factory finish.
210x7no.jpg

After one application of Citristrip allowed to work for a few hours. A second coat removed what was left.
29qftc2.jpg

Bill

Bill, makes me wonder what goes though someones brain when they do something like that, LOL.

Although I don't disagree with others that have posted recommends previously.

Would Brownell and/or Midway have recommendations not only for finish removal but also application of new finish ?

Just my 2 cents.

Old Cob

A commercial furniture stripping left a 700ADL stock kinda soft and easy to dent. Don't know how that compares with other methods.

Bill, makes me wonder what goes though someones brain when they do something like that, LOL.

Obviously not a lot. The lad even painted the trigger, floor plate, action. If he could reach it with the brush it was painted! It was quite a mess. He also sanded the bluing off the barrel about half way back from the muzzle.

Would Brownell and/or Midway have recommendations not only for finish removal but also application of new finish ?
Since that rifle is a working gun I applied ten coats of thinned Minwax crystal clear poly, rubbed with SS wool between applications. It doesn't have the look of hand rubbed oil for sure, but its tough as nails and easy to touch up if need be. It dries pretty quick,too quick in fact, so thinning retards the drying time, allows better penetration into the grain and requires little rubbing between coats for a glass smooth finish.

After stripping the pant off the action and barrel I sprayed it with matt black Duracoat with the maximum amount of hardener to give it a slight sheen.

The finished product, back from the dead!

3029aqh.jpg

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Please have any of you guys had any experience of using 'paint' stripper on laminated stocks?
I was concerned re delamination and weakening?
My intention is to then oil finish. Any thoughts please?
Thank you
John G

Back