what the heck is a Balvar 24

J

Jefferson

a friend and I were talking and he said he thought a Balvar 24 power scope would be neat but we do not know if it is like a Unertl or what

any pics. He said when they came out they were about double the price in canada.

no idea I did not know if this forum or the gunsmiths forum would know

it just would be neat to put it on a gun maybe a rimfire winchester 52

but I still do not know what it is

was there a book on old scopes publioshed a few years ago, and would it be in reprint mode yet

thanks jefferson

That's what B&L variables were called before the Elites came out. Your friend is talking about a 6-24 Bausch & Lomb. It's a long scope and looks very similar to an Elite 4000.

Last edited by a moderator:
heavy, but a real beauty

appimg_71043.jpg

Those are beautiful, I didn't realize they were also called Balvar. Mine is a 6-24 from '89.....looks like I wasn't going back far enough.

They come with the B&L "tapered crosshair " reticle. Ask Wally Siebert about these scopes.

Glenn:D

I sold mine

to pay for a college class. So, I never got to try it on a gun. Question is?? how good are the adjustments? Mark

to pay for a college class. So, I never got to try it on a gun. Question is?? how good are the adjustments? Mark

I had one on a m-70 220 swift back in the 60's,it was a Darn good scope,heavy but ver good,sold it for $150
worked much like a unertl

I still have one. Last time I saw some for sale at a gun show the low side was 450 high was700. The older ones do have some problems with the optics coatings flaking, shows up as tiny black specks when looking thru it. Never had a drift problem i have ever noticed. Course that was due to shooting high power or indoor posistion matches where you got to hang on to the whole assembly.

thanks for the answer

the fellow enjoyed the responses and the information

much better than I could explain it or even knew

jefferson

Back