What shooting discipline is the truest test of marksmanship?

D

Dennis Sorensen

Just like the title states...

What shooting discipline is the truest test of marksmanship? Please state your reasoning or thoughts...:)

If marksmanship is outright ability to hold minimum MOA with followthrough, I'd say Olympic 10M Air Rifle & Air Pistol. No wind involved though!!

if marksmanship is outright ability to hold minimum moa with followthrough, i'd say olympic 10m air rifle & air pistol. No wind involved though!!

but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My personal

feeling on this subject is that ALL shooting disciplines have that capability of being one of "truest form of marksmanship"

The disciplines are diverse as is the equipment for whatever you chose to shoot.

In closing, the "truest form of markmanship" I feel, is the person who can go from discipline to discipline and shoot each and every equally well. Be it shotgun(trap/sporting clays), pistol(IPSC/bullseye), rimfire(group/score @ 25-200 yards), centerfire(shortrange/longrange), and a tactical side of running through a obstacle course and firing at various targets.

That person can TRUELY be called a marksman. It would show that he/she is not limited in what they could achieve.

JMO

Calvin

I forgot

to mention air rifle.

You put all those together and you have the makings of a new reality show,

The True Marksman Season 1. :)

Calvin

Good Offhand shooting...

....w/ either a pistol or rifle gets my respect. I'm horrible at this.

The top sporting clay shooters are amazing as well. Two different types but felt both should be represented.

pf

<><

I read somewhere a long time ago that a good marksman is someone who can hit a target of unknown size at an unknown distance in any condition. I have never heard it said any better.

I shoot 22 silhouette as well as 50/50. Both test the skill of the shooter.

Hitting a running Jack Rabbit, in and out of bushes with a deer rifle, requires a great deal of native skill.:)

What is your thinking, Dennis?

Concho Bill

Truest test of marksmanship

In my opinion, the truest test of marksmanship is offhand shooting. You have to time your breathing, lock the rifle in, sight your target, and when everything comes together take your shot. Many elements come into play and it really comes down to the shooter. Shooting from a bench or rest and standing are worlds apart.
Chino69

Ok here's mine

Any shooting discipline most likely started with two guys see who was a better marksman with whatever equipment.

Saturday - the kids (4) and I were on the back porch with a BB gun. As you can imagine it didn't take long to become a contest. I let the two little ones rest on the porch rail, but the two older ones had to shoot free hand. Target was a Vienna sausage can at about 30 feet. They all hit it. So the logical thing to do was move out to 50 feet. It took more shots, but, all but one hit it. Actually my youngest girl took about 10 more shots after dinner to finally hit too.

I must say I was impressed that the two older girls could shoot offhand and hit that small a target with a $20 BB gun.

So I reason, that some of the long range shooting sports are probably the ultimate marksman (or markswoman as my daughter tells me) test. Of course "long-range" is relative to equipment.

Then again ask my kids the same question......who ever could hit the Vienna sausage can off the back fence post.

Tough question

I don't have an answer but I always thought high power was the true test until a nationally touted high power guy came to a rimfire group match. I still believe high power is tough but now know it's like any other game.

I did see a guy throw a knife, draw his pistol, and shoot a bullet hole for the knife to stick in....

marksman

If you have a badge that says “Distinguished Marksman” then you have passed the truest test of a marksman in my book. The gentleman that I know who have one don’t brag much about how they got it but if you can get them to tell you what they had to do to earn it there is usually a good story. I think Bob Lee Swagger has one.

I have signed copy...

I,m with Del Martin on this one. I dont know if you can call military sniping a shooting discipline,but When I think of marksmanship,I think of Marine Snipers. The Name Carlos Hathcock and others comes to mind. These men could hit live targets at long distances under stressful situations.

Glenn

...of his Book. Good Read!! The shooting does not impress me near as much as the the patience and stealth to get into range. He tells a story of having to soil himself to not give away his position!!?? Taking two days to crawl just a few hundred yards in an open field, taking the shot and running back to cover!!

Truly amazing!!

pf

<><

I read somewhere a long time ago that a good marksman is someone who can hit a target of unknown size at an unknown distance in any condition. I have never heard it said any better.

I shoot 22 silhouette as well as 50/50. Both test the skill of the shooter.

Hitting a running Jack Rabbit, in and out of bushes with a deer rifle, requires a great deal of native skill.:)

What is your thinking, Dennis?

Concho Bill

My question really can't be answered with one answer... It is a bit like comparing apples and oranges.. they are different...

The best off hand shooter is really no more of a marksman than the best Benchrest shooter... they both excel at what they do.

I like what you said, "a good marksman is someone who can hit a target of unknown size at an unknown distance in any condition."

That is hard to beat...

... and I don't think I have ever enjoying any shooting as much as coyote hunting in Alberta...

I've alway's viewed "high power" riflemen as true marksman, but I've come to respect the diciplines required for trap & skeet, action pistol, IPSC,sillouette and Bulls Eye, catagory's where no artificial rest is allowed.
What the hay, a good shot is what it is, no matter how it's made, some just may be better than others but good shot's none the less !

The way I see it, marksmanship occurs when somebody excels at the achievable. At the extreme, that rules out finally hitting a gong at a mile or other similar accidents or coincidences. Marksmanship occurs when the grouping, be it 5 shots, fifty or 500, is according to the normal distribution bell curve & not a random or a shotgun pattern.

Marksmanship occurs whe I see it & say wow!

nuff said...

"The bench proves the rifle, offhand proves the man".

....great quote!! I think that sums it up for me.

However, I used to be the only guy at the range with flags and a true bench gun. I would let the 'know it alls' shoot groups. Some shot bug holes...some shot patterns.

Off hand....just magnifies this by 1,000!!

pf
<><

Back