What quality is preferred?

doghunter

I was having a chat with some of the .22 rimfire contestants at my local range today here in Oz and the topic of quality firearms and quality ammunition arose (I shoot an ancient Anschutz 1411 from 1974 but it still does ok).

So would an average .22 rimfire with top quality ammunition out-perform a top quality .22 rimfire with average quality ammunition?

I have already decided upon my answer (and why) but I thought that this would be an interesting question to pose to the forum.

Please give your reasons for your preference.

Regards from down under * doghunter *

Just a thought

Hi doghunter, I had to give your question some snakey-eyed concentration
and decided that both rifle/ammo combinations would have to be shot by the same shooter.

If the test is done with a poor shooter the good quality ammo won’t make much difference, neither will the quality rifle.
I think the average scores of the two rifle/ammo combinations, when compared, will be close to each other.

With a very good shooter the scores will be higher but I think the better rifle with average ammo
will do much better than the average rifle with good ammo.

At least that’s what my ouija board says.

Bob

I was having a chat with some of the .22 rimfire contestants at my local range today here in Oz and the topic of quality firearms and quality ammunition arose (I shoot an ancient Anschutz 1411 from 1974 but it still does ok).

So would an average .22 rimfire with top quality ammunition out-perform a top quality .22 rimfire with average quality ammunition?

I have already decided upon my answer (and why) but I thought that this would be an interesting question to pose to the forum.

Please give your reasons for your preference.

Regards from down under * doghunter *

Rarely......if ever.

Heck, a top quality rifle shooting top quality ammo in a tunnel test may go thru 10-20 lots before finding something really good. Throw an average rifle into the mix and you would be doomed. Good ammo will not fix an average rifle, neither will tuning the barrel if the rifle is not that great. A dog turd is a dog turd, no matter what the dog is eating.

My reasoning is/was that a good quality rimfire rifle with average quality ammo could be improved by fitting a tuner to help compensate for variations in the ammo.

It seems to me that consistency of the ammo is a function of the manufacturing process and of course, price.

My old Model 54 Anschutz is picky, it happens to prefer a diet of Eley Tenex and a fellow competitor (who I often beat) paid top $$$ for his rig but then insists on using pretty ordinary rimfire ammo.

That's why I asked the question.

* doghunter *

My reasoning is/was that a good quality rimfire rifle with average quality ammo could be improved by fitting a tuner to help compensate for variations in the ammo.

It seems to me that consistency of the ammo is a function of the manufacturing process and of course, price.

My old Model 54 Anschutz is picky, it happens to prefer a diet of Eley Tenex and a fellow competitor (who I often beat) paid top $$$ for his rig but then insists on using pretty ordinary rimfire ammo.

That's why I asked the question.

* doghunter *

A tuner will help most rifles......to a degree.
Your example is 2 guns with 2 guys of unknown ability. What does it speak to the initial question....probably not too much. ( perhaps you're simply way better at this than him. )

I think there are too many possible variables here to give a really meaningful answer. However, the planets will sometimes align during the making of an "average" gun. I have a new Ruger American Target .22 LR that has an excellent barrel. It scopes about as good as any I have seen, and it shoots very well with Federal Ultramatch. I also have a Savage MK II with a heavy barrel that is a great shooter with Lapua Center-X or Midas+. Neither rifle cost more than $400 less scope.

My point is that you can sometimes get an inexpensive rifle with a "hummer" barrel but there is no such thing as a "hummer" box of average ammunition.

Back