what powder for 30-378

T

tate

Looking for some help woth some powder choices for my boomer.Right know im using retumbo but im having a new 30 inch hart built over the winter here.So im wondering if i might need a slower powder,an im going to try some different bullets to.Im going to us 175 grain an 190 grain berger vlds.The best group that i have so far is .78@200 yards with nosler accu bonds.Do you think that i can get that or better with the new combo? Well thanks for your input everyone.

An the barrel is a 1-10 twist 30 inches long with no more free bore

How many spoons full of powder does something that big take?

I have a freind that uses bunches of wcc860 when loading 180 grain and up bullets. Seems a little slower than h870 and very cheap.

WC-872 has very close ballistics to H870. I use WC-872 in a 300 Tomohawk pushing 240 grain SMK's I know it's not a 30-378 but it's very close in ballistics. My gun has a 30" 10 twist Hart too.

WC-872 is dirty but it shoots good groups and it's cheap. I think when I bought it I paid $32 for an 8lb jug. I bought a case of 6 jugs and shared it. That must have been either 1 1/2 or 2 years ago. Can't imagine it went up too much since it's surplus powder.

Looking for some help woth some powder choices for my boomer.Right know im using retumbo but im having a new 30 inch hart built over the winter here.So im wondering if i might need a slower powder,an im going to try some different bullets to.Im going to us 175 grain an 190 grain berger vlds.The best group that i have so far is .78@200 yards with nosler accu bonds.Do you think that i can get that or better with the new combo? Well thanks for your input everyone.

If you are going to shoot a 30-378 shoot a heavier bullet, at least a 210 Berger, otherwise you may as well have a 300 Wby.

H50BMG with a 240 SMK would work very well....that long barrel could burn up all that powder.

powder

hey tate, my custom 30-378 is eating retumbo for the moment, but i am considering 50bmg powder this spring, 30" barrell also. how far are you planning on for a target? im also using berger 210 gr, my advice is go with heavier bullet, slow powder, theres alot of volume in that case!!

Well right now I have retumbo reloader 25 an us 869.The 869 is slower than the bmg but im also looking to get some vihtavuori but dont know what to get.Just got the 25 an 869 after shooting season so going to have to wait until spring now

30-378

In my Sako TRGS with an eleven twist. I have been using H5010 113grs. With Fed 215M primers if you use Win. Mag. primers back down a couple grains.
With 180 Nosler Partions it will shoot three shot groups under a half inch at 100yd. Velocity 3500 fps. plus. Really do not care to shoot it more than that off the bench!!

Im looking to use either 190 or 210 grain beger vld bullets.As for recoil the 180grainers were like shooting a 30-06 not alot of recoil.

With the 300 wby I use the 200 serria's If I went to the 300/378 I'd be looking at the 220's and 240's The 180-190's will not have near as much BC for one and if you do have something get in tight in a hunting situation the big bullets will stay together better instead of the back trying to past the front If your going to stick with the lighter bullets I would go with a different 30
Have you shot the powders you have over a chronagraph I'd look for the powder that had the lowest extreme spread Then I would figure out where I need to seat the bullet If you don't know how to get a mold of your chamber using cerrosafe have a smith that knows how do it for you This will tell you where you should start with your seating depht Still don't have the accuracy look to the primer
Just change one thing at a time Write everything down till you have what you want
I would also recommend the Past recoil shield in the super magnum Everything you do on the bench to reduce felt recoil helps with better target concentration and shooting habits

Us 869 works well in my 30-378, 200 barnes tsx over 115 grs 1/2" at 100 yds, 1.25" at 400 yds

Powder

I have a lot of powders like WC860, WC872, AA8700, and AA8600 if you are interested. I used to have a 30-378, and these powders shot very well. Great velocity and accuracy. These powders are bargain surplus powder. Send me a PM, and I can fix you up.

Michael

Back