What is the purpose of an F class stock?

R

REA

I assumed they were made to take rear bags out of shooting F class yet I see bags being used. Thanks.

REA, I am really surprised that you have not recieved a response to this question. While I usually don't speak to a question I don't have personal first hand answers for I'll give this one a shot.

I do not believe your assumption is correct, I have never seen nor heard any reference to removing the rear bag from "F" Class shooting. There are othere shooting disciplines that would cover that. I think that the purpose of the "F" class stock and its deeper and more parallel stock is for prone shooting. I am sure someone better qualified and informed than myself will correct me if I am wrong......

Roland

Hombre,

There are already prone stocks out there. Just wondering why the Savage F class stocks are so blocky and the wood goes from the bottom of the pistol grip straight back. The extra weight might help with recoil but other than that, I can see no advantage. I have seen matches run excluding rear bags.

I have here a Savage F Class stock, also I have two Shehane Tracker Long Range stocks. The profile of both is very close to the same. The Tracker stock is not absolutly parallel with the forearm like the Savage but it is very close. It also runs from the bottom of the pistol grip back. The amount of weight difference is so small as to be insignificant, as witness trying to remove wood to make weight. I have tried this and it always amazed me how much wood I removed and how tiny the weight saving was.

Also you mention matches run excluding rear bags. Were these registered F Class matches? The F Class rules speak specifically to the rear bag. Can't imagine how they could be excluded in a sanctioned match.

Roland

F Class is governed by the NRA FULLBORE PRONE & NRA HIGHPOWER RIFLE RULES. There are certain rules that apply to the stocks so I can only assume that when someone refers to an "F Class Stock" they mean a stock that meets the requirements set forth in the rules. It's not hard to figure out. Most any Benchrest type stock usually falls within the rules and many F Class rifles double as Benchrest LR rifles. The same for front and rear rests and bags. Get the rules and read them. It will become clear.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
REA, The term F Class Stock came about after F Class started to become popular and someone wanted to sell another line of stocks. They beefed some stocks up to add weight. They added adjustable cheek pieces. I know of very few people who shoot F Class without a rear bag. Even F-TR uses a rear bag.

The FTR shooters have a lighter weight limit, so the stocks aren't that beefy. Open class has a weight limit of 22 lbs.

I personally use a Tooley/Mc Millam benchrest stock and it tracks and works perfectly.

Well first off, I don't think they shoot registered F-class matches. If the rules say bags are ok than that is that.

Different weight classes. Ok I get that. I'm not interested in serious f-class anyhow.

Just wondering if there is any practical advantage in better accuracy. It still sounds to me like some added weight might help with recoil but Hombre says there isn't that much difference in weight so maybe not. I don't know what the actual weight differences are say between a LR prone or bench stock vs the Savage F class.

I figured it had to do with just a different selling point.

REA,

Long range BR stocks don't have to follow short range stock butt angle rules. The flat bottom of typical LRBR stocks aids tracking, particularly with the greater recoil of larger cartridges. Most LRBR shooters use some variation of free recoil shooting style. For these shooters a cheek weld isn't part of the program. A cheek weld is used in prone shooting with a sling. A fixed comb height is fine for shooting but an adjustable cheek rest is more convenient and allows cleaning rod entry at the breach. Not all F-Class shooters hold on to the gun and use a cheek weld but even those that don't while firing can rest their head behind the scope while they prepare the shot. This helps from a prone position and doesn't enter in from a bench. This is why an F-class stock looks like a LRBR stock with an adjustable cheek piece and why lots of folks happily use a LRBR stock without a cheek piece in F-Class.

Hope this helps answer the rest of your questions.

Greg

F Class is governed by the NRA INTERNATIONAL FULLBORE PRONE RIFLE RULES.
Ray,

Not correct. There are two sets of rules which may govern F-Class, depending on match format:
  • If the match is held under US Fullbore rules, NRA's Fullbore Prone rulebook applies.
  • If the match is held under highpower rules (more popular format), the NRA Highpower rulebook applies.

Both rulebooks are available online:Hope this helps.

Asa

Asa

It's hard to get one past you. ;) I edited my post accordingly.

Did you come down to Avery to shoot? It looks like the weatherman provided a nice warm spot directly over the range. We got snow up in the mountains. A LOT of it.

Ray

Asa
Did you come down to Avery to shoot? It looks like the weatherman provided a nice warm spot directly over the range. We got snow up in the mountains. A LOT of it.
Ray, I did go to Ben Avery to shoot. Didn't do well - two misses on the last day @ 1000 yards. Our Line Officer got snowed in on Saturday and Sunday, and we had to draft someone to take his place. The stand-in actually did pretty well - she normally calls the line only at the US National Matches.

As for warm on the range, I was freezing for the better part of two days. It was in the low 40s until about noon on all three days.

Hope you are safe and warm?

Back