What is the minimum spacing on center for benches on a .22 rimfire range?

Bill Wynne

At our range the question of bench spacing has arisen. I feel that 5’ on center is a good figure for minimum. Although center fire rifles are louder, I believe 5’ centers will work fine even for them for a minimum. I am aware that 10’ or more would be nice if the space were available.

What do you think? What is the spacing at your ranges?

Concho Bill

Our benches have 2 inches of spacing from each other but they also have to fit between the poles holding up the overhead shade cover. That would put the center to center demensions at about 4ft 2 inches. This allows us to have15 benches to spread them out further we would then loose 3. Noise has never been an issue to me over the past 40+ years.

JLouis

Last edited:
Left handed shooters do have to be grouped together at the end of the line so it does make drawing for benches a bit impossibe. There is no room available for further expansion so we have to live with what we have. Our 100yd. and 200yd. ranges are also separate from each other both having the same 15 bench setup and spacing.

JLouis

Our benches have 2 inches of spacing from each other but they also have to fit between the poles holding up the overhead shade cover. That would put the center to center demensions at about 4ft 2 inches. This allows us to have15 benches to spread them out further we would then loose 3. Noise has never been an issue to me over the past 40+ years.

JLouis

One thing about your range is that only someone very slim could accidentally walk forward of the firing line during a match. What is the name of your range and where is it?

I have shot matches at a range that has benches 5' on center. I would not under any circumstances build benches any closer than that. IMO ranges should be designed so that a LH shooter can shoot next to a right handed one any place on the range. I have to laugh thinking back to a match where the fellow to my right (I shoot LH.) was good sized, as am I, and when we sat down we had to be a little careful because of the tight spacing. Personally, I think that firing lines should be designed from the inside out, first the ideal bench, then the spacing, then the overhead cover.
Boyd

Last edited:
LH Shooter

I'm LH, and love exchanging wallets with my neighbor. He's usually got more money that me.

I was at a .22 match over in Antelope Valley many years ago.

One guy was shooting a 10/22 and his ejections were going down the front of a nicely built ladies low neckline blouse. Each and every time she would flinch and squeak.

Some things a guy just can't forget.

I was at a .22 match over in Antelope Valley many years ago.

One guy was shooting a 10/22 and his ejections were going down the front of a nicely built ladies low neckline blouse. Each and every time she would flinch and squeak.

Some things a guy just can't forget.

Such are the things we remember. I love benchrest.

Back