What Causes Fliers ?

bigh

I have often wondered what is the most common cause for fliers in 22 rimfires, I guess ammo causes them but I am thinking there has to be other reasons. I have been shooting quite a few USBR targets and can be going along just fine then all of a sudden a round will drop low at 6 or 7 o clock, next shots are back where they should be, ammo was Center X, rifle is a Anschutz 54 Sporter , I guess it maybe me as well, this happens 2 or 3 shots out of 25 usually, thoughts anyone?

If the shots go in about the same place you can figure that out. John made a good suggestion but you'll have to figure it out yourself. Try some different but good ammo to see if it's the ammo itself causing the flyers.

WATCH THE WIND CAREFULLY! It doesn't take much change to get the kind of shot you're talking about...with some rifles...just sayin'.....

Wind & ammo are the two main causes !! Use good wind flags & learn to read them. If you are doing that, then it's down to not being tuned or ammo. Of course there are lots of other causes, related to your rifle, but keep it simple at first. ( bag technique matters a lot as well). Of course if it was easy everyone would be shooting well. :)

I have often wondered what is the most common cause for fliers in 22 rimfires, I guess ammo causes them but I am thinking there has to be other reasons. I have been shooting quite a few USBR targets and can be going along just fine then all of a sudden a round will drop low at 6 or 7 o clock, next shots are back where they should be, ammo was Center X, rifle is a Anschutz 54 Sporter , I guess it maybe me as well, this happens 2 or 3 shots out of 25 usually, thoughts anyone?

Have you tried other types of ammo in your Annie? My Annie 54 likes Eley Tenex yet my friend's Annie prefers a diet of RWS R50. Experiment.

The length of the individual projectiles can vary by a few thou within a given batch (multiple projectile casting machines, distance from inside rim to driving band varies) and this can give vertical fliers when fired in a tight Annie chamber. Unlike centrefire ammo we cannot control the seating depth so either measure your ammo or think about a tuner to compensate for the variation in muzzle velocity.

Also as already mentioned, watch the flags! Incoming wind shoots low, tailwind shoots high and sidewind is ok, as long as you shoot to the flags in the same condition each time.

Also, practice in all the the conditions at your range and you might notice that the more you practice, the luckier you get.

* doghunter *

At our fri ARA matches, the wind switches from east thru north to west and cycles.

Never shoot 11;00 a 25 low and right about 7:00 every time.
Never shoot 5:00 high and left every time.
The other directions behave as expected.
gn

First let me say I'm no where near a expert but I may have a funny story that might help. When we first started me and my son built a rifle for my wife. Had alot of time in the rifle and expected it to be good. Everytime one of us would shoot a ir5050 target would have good cards going and throw two or three. Finally just labeled the rifle a turd and put it in gun cabinet. Fast forward a year and a friend thinks he wants to start. I told him story on rifle and said he was welcome to use it to see if he liked to carry on with sport. Sunday we was going to test ammo. I shot the rifle with the only difference in being a year of learning wind flags. Long story but there is nothing wrong with the rifle. This may not have anything to do with your fliers but it sure did mine. I've still got alot to learn. Todd

Flyers *^%*&

I also shoot the USBR target and also get flyers imo I think most of the time it is wind/shooter. It does not take a big change in speed or direction to put it off and watching four flags for direction and speed is difficult. Shooting today and right as I pulled the trigger the wind went from 0 to 2 1/2 mph (using a wind meter) and went from 6 oclock to 9 oclock = flyer. All this in the blink of an eye.

Look how firm is your front bag. Too firm gives vertical and sometimes flyers as well.

Pay attention where the flyer occurs. If it's random, look at yourself, that front bag and mostly to the wind.
If it happens mostly at extremes, play close attention to the rear bag and how firm it is. Perfect alignment is crucial.

Of course if you shoot a one piece rest, wind and you are the culprits most of the time.

If you take a quick look at the flags right after a flier you may see the reason for said flier. Sometimes you shoot as the condition is changing. It's possible to get caught in a change before the flags have time to react. It's also possible to get caught when your condition returns from wherever it went, if you shoot before it has a chance to stabilize. Then sometimes there is a condition between your flags that may show up on other flags nearby. If you ever get it all figured out I would appreciate a PM letting me know how you did it.:)

Ken Henderson

Back