what .22lr rifle ammo do winning benchrest shooters use at 100 yards?

Although normal rim fire bench rest is done at 50 yards, at Williamsport 1,000 yard range in PA, they run 200 yard Rim Fire Bench Rest shoots during the season.

No question that you don't know the answer to is stupid.

I am new to Rim Fire Bench Rest, but have purchased Eley Tenex and Lapua X-Act and Midas + Match ammo to try in my new RF BR Rifle. Seems to be want most of the Rim Fire Shooters I know recommend.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob,
I have found that RWS 50 shoots best in my ULA action BR rifle with a Shilen barrel. I tested some others
but found it shot best, (until last week in the cold that is!!!!!)
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Back when my local F&G club was having 100 yd matches either of the SK Match & Wolf match offerings were popular. A few of us dabbled with Lapua & Eley with good results but they were never the dominant offerings that we'd think they would be.
Even some of the lesser quality Federal offerings held its own. Older Remington Target ammo did well too.
Try several offerings & you'll soon see what you like the best.
Have Fun!

Keith

Thanks Joe and Keith and see RCMARK, there is more than 50 yard RF Bench Rest! Not a stupid question at all. I guess now I need to buy three more brands to try. The guy I bought it from said that he has the best results with Lapua and he sent me a number of match targets where he won. I have also been warned that in this discipline, it is the shooters that can afford to buy the most ammo to test and stockpile like lots of, that are the consistent winners, though for me this will be a Club Gun. Of course now I guess I need a Rim Fire Concentricity gauge. I just ordered a Mike Lucas Bore Guide this morning for it and it will be getting a new base and new Burris rings with inserts.

Bob

Some Lapua results at 100 meters

I'm not claiming but was told by Lapua a 25mm group out of the test fixture at one hundred meters is the exception and not the rule.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 955
I'm surprised that Lapua Center-X hasn't been mentioned. It's expensive but shoots extremely well in many rifles.

People on Rimfire Central's CZ forum often talk about shooting groups at 100 yards and many claim MOA or better from the bench. How consistently they do that, I don't know.

In the 1920's when .22 rimfire matches were all the rage, 200 yard matches were common. The Winchester Model 52 dominated the matches and some of the groups shot in matches would be excellent today. I believe they shot prone and not from the bench. They also used iron sights a lot. I've shot 3/8 steel silhouette rams at 250 yards with an early Model 52 and iron sights over crossed sticks while sitting and hit 8 or 9 of 10 fairly often. Not easy to do in the winds our range constantly experiences.

Shooting at 100 yards:

Ruger 10/22

Sightron SIII SS 6-32x50 LR MOA
KIDD Bolt Handle
KIDD Guide Rod & Spring Kit
KIDD .22LR Bolt
KIDD Two Stage Trigger
KIDD .22LR Bolt Buffer
KIDD .22LR Black Tapered Rifle Barrel 20"

CZ

Sightron SIII SS 6-32x50 LR MOA
455 stock except for CZ Mr. Fly trigger

Ruger

CZ

100 yard rimfire ammo

I have done a bit of searching with no luck.

As was previously posted, benchrest matches are fired at 50 yards. Your question, is better suited to be addressed to conventional and metric prone shooters as their matches have at least 120 record shots at 100 yards/meters for each daily aggregate. For reference, the x-ring is 1" in diameter.

At 100 yards, the high end offerings from the big three - Eley (Tenex / Match), Lapua (Xact, Midas+, Center X) and RWS (R50/R100) consistently provide the best groups. As with our sport, you must test various brands, grades and lot numbers in your specific rifle to get the optimal results. You will not win 100 yard rimfire matches with any frequency without diligently testing ammunition at distance.

Furthermore, testing and selecting a specific lot of ammo at 50 yards for use at 100 yards (and not testing at 100) is really rolling the dice with your money for two (2) reasons. First, the relationship in group size from 50 to 100 yards is not linear. Second - and some may disagree - is that there are cases where a great lot of ammo at 50 yards may not be lights out at 100 yards. It is rare, but if you test and compete enough at both distances it is not unheard of.

It is certainly possible to obtain ammunition that groups 1" or slightly less at 100 yards. With that said, the shooter has to do their part with good technique and above average ability to read conditions. (A good rifle is an obvious prerequisite, however the nuances from one rifle to the next will be glossed over for now by just making the general statement that it is a benchrest quality rifle that will be tuned for match ammo at distance.)

For prone shooters, if you find ammo that will group under 1" at 100 yards, you take out another mortgage and buy all that you can. The best groups that I have ever had were two (2) different lots of the old Lapua Midas (gold box) that was just over .873" (outside edge). Also note that knuckle dragger prone shooters like myself are talking about 10 shot groups as that is what we shoot on each bull at 100 yards.

If you want a much more in depth detail on testing and potential results at 100 yards, I would have to defer to Kevin Nevius who has a significantly greater amount of recorded test data that I do.

I hope this is of assistance.
Regards,
ken

I agree Ken. I can attest to the difference of ammo at short and long distances, where something that might be tight at 100 yards falls apart after the next 100 yards, compared to some ammo not as tight at 100 but retaining control of group size way out beyond 100 yards.

Is there a lot of difference between Eley Match and Tenex and Lapua X-Act and Midas+? The Match and Midas+ are $14.00 to $15.00 a box, but seem to be available, while the Tenex and X-Act are more like $19.00 to $20.00 but scarce.

Bob

Thanks Joe and Keith and see RCMARK, there is more than 50 yard RF Bench Rest! Not a stupid question at all. I guess now I need to buy three more brands to try. The guy I bought it from said that he has the best results with Lapua and he sent me a number of match targets where he won. I have also been warned that in this discipline, it is the shooters that can afford to buy the most ammo to test and stockpile like lots of, that are the consistent winners, though for me this will be a Club Gun. Of course now I guess I need a Rim Fire Concentricity gauge. I just ordered a Mike Lucas Bore Guide this morning for it and it will be getting a new base and new Burris rings with inserts.

Bob

Yep, you got it knocked....just buy that ammo and the gun pretty much shoots itself.

Furthermore, testing and selecting a specific lot of ammo at 50 yards for use at 100 yards (and not testing at 100) is really rolling the dice with your money for two (2) reasons. First, the relationship in group size from 50 to 100 yards is not linear. Second - and some may disagree - is that there are cases where a great lot of ammo at 50 yards may not be lights out at 100 yards. It is rare, but if you test and compete enough at both distances it is not unheard of. Regards,
ken

Not to dispute what Ken has said but in my experience, it's really not that uncommon for a cartridge that shoots great at 50 yards to disappoint at 100 yards. I've tested cartridges for silhouette matches that did fine out to turkeys but fell apart at 100 yards and 100 meters. Likewise for shooting groups on paper at 50 and 100 yards.

It's always advisable to test cartridges in the rifle you plan to use at the distances you will be shooting. While the higher priced cartridges are likely to be more consistent, price isn't a guarantee either.

Last edited:
There is an interesting post on RimFireCentral that I guy just listed showing different groups with different ammo. Posted both best group and 10 group average for each. Understanding that some guns just like certain ammo over others, I was still surprised to see CCI Standard Velocity to have the best groups, at least in his rifle. Also some of the other expensive "Match" ammo didn't do all that good. Again, could just be his gun, but I was going to limit my testing of my new Benchrest .22RF to the high end (and priced) Eley and Lapua, but since I have about 10 different type less expensive types, I am going to add them to the mix. Maybe I can shoot the barrel out by the time my Gordon Eck rifle is done.

Bob

There is an interesting post on RimFireCentral that I guy just listed showing different groups with different ammo. Posted both best group and 10 group average for each. Understanding that some guns just like certain ammo over others, I was still surprised to see CCI Standard Velocity to have the best groups, at least in his rifle. Also some of the other expensive "Match" ammo didn't do all that good. Again, could just be his gun, but I was going to limit my testing of my new Benchrest .22RF to the high end (and priced) Eley and Lapua, but since I have about 10 different type less expensive types, I am going to add them to the mix. Maybe I can shoot the barrel out by the time my Gordon Eck rifle is done. Bob

Bob, I'm surely preaching to the choir but shooters new to the rimfire world may not know that there are lot-to-lot variations of the same cartridges that can cause headaches. I've had CCI Standard Velocity cartridges that shot lights out and other lots that were significantly worse. Same with Wolf, Lapua, Federal and other brands. In our club we have shooters who had great success with Wolf Match Target only to find that a new lot was awful. There's a reason why the higher priced cartridges shoot better and that reason is consistency; i.e., eliminating the unexplained flyer that cheaper cartridges give you now and then. In our club's benchrest matches, the 250's are often shot with Lapua Center-X. Not cheap but if you want to win....... :)

Thanks for the note and that is something I have been told. Guess it makes it frustrating to find what will shoot well without buying 10s of thousands of rounds in each lot, so when you find the best you have a supply, only to find out that most of them don't shoot.

Clint Swigert seems to have a good quantity of multiple lots of Lapua Midas+ (I think one step up from the Center-X, but one step down from the top of their line X-Act) and plenty of Eley Match, one step down (at least in price) from Tenex. Unfortunately he does not have any Tenex or X-Act.

My thought was, since he lists them by lot number, to buy a box of each brand in a number of different lots, where Clint currently has considerable inventory and then shoot right away, determine which shoots the best and then order a supply of the appropriate lot numbers.

How do shooters normally do this?

I buy wine Futures by Tasting Notes for certain vinyards for new vintages. Are their any listings of "Lot Notes" for ammo? Since guns differ too, that may not make a lot of sense.

Bob

Last edited:
Not to dispute what Ken has said but in my experience, it's really not that uncommon for a cartridge that shoots great at 50 yards to disappoint at 100 yards. I've tested cartridges for silhouette matches that did fine out to turkeys but fell apart at 100 yards and 100 meters. Likewise for shooting groups on paper at 50 and 100 yards.

It's always advisable to test cartridges in the rifle you plan to use at the distances you will be shooting. While the higher priced cartridges are likely to be more consistent, price isn't a guarantee either.

Doubs,
In reading your post, I noticed that I inadvertently missed adding "and vice versa for ammo shooting great at 100 yards may not perform at 50 yards". That was where the thought of "some might dispute" came from initially.

In short, what I was trying to say is that if you are selecting only a single lot to be used at multiple distances be sure to test it at all distances.

Sorry for any confusion.
Best Regards,
ken

Back