Weigh your rifles

Tim Oltersdorf

For your Christmas gift money from mom: Harbor Freight tools has a 70 pound capacity electronic postal scale that weighs in 0.2 oz. increments. It runs on a 9 volt battery and will easily weigh a BR rifle. It is on sale for $39.99. I have one and it has proven to be very accurate. Harbor Freight is a large internet tool supply company that has retail stores in lots of US cities. Tim

Last edited:
Good buy. I like the idea of it running on 9V battery.

This is the scale I bought and use. Unfortunately it uses 4 C cells. I bought the 35lb model. It is repeatable. No matter which unit setting you use and convert by doing the math the end result is ALWAYS the same. Remove the items, power down, power up weigh in different combinations and I always get the same end result.

http://canadianweigh.com/scales/my-weigh-ultraship-series

I bought one off of E-GAY for something like 20 bucks shipped. It is a US mail scale that weighs up to 75 pounds. weight max is the brand and it is a real good scale. Thanks Lee

thanks for the info Dr. Tim

But I'm very concerned that you might be ill. Thats the first post that I have ever seen that you did'nt "cut up" on

This is the scale I got for weighing guns and other things in the shop. The wall plug adapter which isn't included is only 6 bucks. AZ Digital scales has been good to deal with too.

http://www.digitalscalesaz.com/MyWeigh-UltraShip-55-Digital-Scale

Paul

Paul the description on that web site says the scale "and MyWeigh's 30-year lifetime warranty" . They didn't give details.

I'm always leery of lifetime warranties because I don't know if is their lifetime or mine they propose!!

Paul the description on that web site says the scale "and MyWeigh's 30-year lifetime warranty" . They didn't give details.

I'm always leery of lifetime warranties because I don't know if is their lifetime or mine they propose!!

Leupold has a pretty good handle on what a Lifetime warranty is... Maybe they figure that in 30 years if it then breaks you will have gotten your money's worth out of it. Who knows, in 30 years what we'll be using to weigh our guns with.

The Harbor Freight scale has 30 days. I know we will still be using these scales after 30 days, 30 years, I don't know.

Last edited:
I have the same scale Paul has but got mine from another source. An awesome scale, and accurate to 1/100th of a pound.

Scale technology changed dramatically with the advent of the load cell. Scales now are faster, more accurate, and about 1/100th the price of what they used to be. The sensors don't go bad. In many cases, they don't need calibration for the life of the scale. I don't even know how to do it on mine, or even if I can.

Neither, it's the lifetime of the scale.

Just hope when it dies two years later they don't tell you it is warrantied for 30 years if it lives that long, in this case the lifetime of the scale was 2 years.

i think the question should revolve around the rules on weight. ...no i did not go search so yell at me or answer the question. on a light gun for 1000 yd the limit is 17 lbs.........
so what is the fine print....is there a plus or minus somewhere in the rules ? in std written format if it said 17.0 then 17.04 is ok and 17.05 would round up to 17.1 which would be out of spec. if the spec says 17.0 plus or minus 0.1...then up to 17.14 would be legal....(that is 17lbs 2.24 oz)
the bootom line is the scale must be accurate enough and sensitive enough to the rule.....if the rule is plus or minus 0.1 then the scale must be more accurate than 0.1..as in 0.05 or less.
0.1 is 1.6 ounces and thus 0.05 is 0.8 ounces.

speak up..i'm listening...
mike in co

Mike, IBS rules, at least in point blank BR, allow 1 oz. for scale variances. So a 13.5lb limit actually would be a max on range scales of 13.562.--Mike

Be aware, be very aware:
Sharrett and I have made a pact with the devil. He'll keep his distance if we don't buy green bananas.

Fran;

Funny you mention that. Just the other day I was at the banana counter, and there was a lady next to me looking some over that were the color of limes. I thought about saying something...but didn't. The old saying...silence is golden, and that's what I bought. Some "golden" ones.

Now that i have stuck my neck out and scheduled a sanctioned nbrsa match at my range, what scale do i need to weigh rifles? Will the scale Paul linked to work or not? What about check weights, arn't they required? Anyone with experience in this area give me some insight please.
Mike C

i think the question should revolve around the rules on weight. ...no i did not go search so yell at me or answer the question. on a light gun for 1000 yd the limit is 17 lbs.........
so what is the fine print....is there a plus or minus somewhere in the rules ? in std written format if it said 17.0 then 17.04 is ok and 17.05 would round up to 17.1 which would be out of spec. if the spec says 17.0 plus or minus 0.1...then up to 17.14 would be legal....(that is 17lbs 2.24 oz)
the bootom line is the scale must be accurate enough and sensitive enough to the rule.....if the rule is plus or minus 0.1 then the scale must be more accurate than 0.1..as in 0.05 or less.
0.1 is 1.6 ounces and thus 0.05 is 0.8 ounces.

speak up..i'm listening...
mike in co
Depends upon where you shoot. In the IBS, you are allowed a tolerance and that varies by range. If you shoot in PA, there is no tolerance. 17.001 on their scale is overweight. As for variation in scales, it doesn't matter, the scale at the range is the only one that matters. So, if you don't want DQ'd, make sure your gun weighs in BEFORE shooting it. If you lean on the rules, you accept the risk for doing so.

Now that i have stuck my neck out and scheduled a sanctioned nbrsa match at my range, what scale do i need to weigh rifles? Will the scale Paul linked to work or not? What about check weights, arn't they required? Anyone with experience in this area give me some insight please.
Mike C
Talk to your district director about this. I'm pretty sure the type of scale is not important but you need a set of NBRSA certified weights. It would be very embarrassing if some one at your shoot shot a potential new world record and you had not weighed that rifle on scales that had not been zeroed with the NBRSA weights.

With the way scales are made today and the fact that most of them are guaranteed to be within tolerance for life, I think any cheap new scale should suffice. As far as records are concerned, I seriously doubt you'll ever have a person who would bring a gun right at the limit, shoot well enough to worry about it. Those types don't generally do so well. For the ones who are way over the limit, who would care, just dq em.

The cost of a set of standards seems like a waste to me. Even to take a bowl full of concrete and have that certified is a waste. Ask all the people who have scales with .01# resolution and I bet you'll find they weigh in exactly on what the certified scales do, (if they ever get to use such a thing).

If the Nbrsa requires the use of some set of standards, then I'd suggest they supply them to the clubs for free. I mean, you can go to places where they've spent all this time writing rules and all, then never put the guns on scales anyhow.

Test weights will cost WAY more than the scale.

Fran;

Funny you mention that. Just the other day I was at the banana counter, and there was a lady next to me looking some over that were the color of limes. I thought about saying something...but didn't. The old saying...silence is golden, and that's what I bought. Some "golden" ones.

Was this the same place where you get the Italian sausage??? EH!

With the way scales are made today and the fact that most of them are guaranteed to be within tolerance for life, I think any cheap new scale should suffice. As far as records are concerned, I seriously doubt you'll ever have a person who would bring a gun right at the limit, shoot well enough to worry about it. Those types don't generally do so well. For the ones who are way over the limit, who would care, just dq em.

The cost of a set of standards seems like a waste to me. Even to take a bowl full of concrete and have that certified is a waste. Ask all the people who have scales with .01# resolution and I bet you'll find they weigh in exactly on what the certified scales do, (if they ever get to use such a thing).

If the Nbrsa requires the use of some set of standards, then I'd suggest they supply them to the clubs for free. I mean, you can go to places where they've spent all this time writing rules and all, then never put the guns on scales anyhow.

Test weights will cost WAY more than the scale.

The scales require a test weight to be calibrated, if needed. The scales are precalibrated and certified. Each scale has a set amount that the scale needs to be calibrated at when needed. Ours require a 10Kg test weight. Dad has a Ultra 30 Myweigh, I have the Ultra 55 Myweigh, both require 10Kg. Dad bought the certified test weight from a scale certification company with all the paperwork to validate the weight. What this does is to allow us to test that the scale actually reads exactly 10Kg with the weight on it.

For Matches the NBRSA regional directors (at least in the Eastern) have a set of traveling weights, one weighs 10.5 pounds the other 3 pounds. These weights are certified test wieghts, but are not use to calibrate the scale, they are used to verify the scale. Only the 10 Kg can be used when calibrating, which hasn't been needed in the five or six years that dad has had his. I have only had mine, just over a year. It is also right on. The certified calibration weight was about 70 bucks plus shipping.

Back