weaver xr series

skeetlee

Has anyone here had the chance to look at one of these new scopes? I am in need of a new scope, so I am interested in learning about the new weaver xr46X. Wonder how the glass compares to a leupold 45? Lee

I'm interested as w ell. I spoke with a couple of people at the Kettlefoot PSL match, including Dan Killough. He compared the glass to the Leupold 45. The other person was Jeff Carroll. He was shooting beside me and using one. He spoke well of it as well, but it was his first experience, that wekend, with one. Problem is...it falls in the price range of a used 45x and not too far from a used NF BR...both known commodities.

i have the 46x model and couldn't be happier with it for 100/200 BR that i shoot. i've looked thru all the other makes and feel it gives up nothing in optical clarity or brightness to the others.

i have no idea how well it focuses down to anything shorter than 100 yards, though.

and, it is heavy. can't remember weight off the top of my head but i want to say ~23 oz without caps.

Last edited:
These scopes have been out for a little while now. whats everyone think? Better than a leupold 45X???? Lee

Probably not. They are close to the LCS optics but at a street price well below its a great value. The one issue you better be comfortable with is the 1/16 dot if you're a dot guy.

they seem good

Very clear the dot is barely see able.very small.How many old 36x still make it to the line.They are slightly heavier but there new thus one must have one.lol

I love a 1/16" dot. My dilemma is that I can buy a nice used Leupold 45x for what the weaver cost new. Not sure what route to take just yet. Lee

If you decided to make a change, I think that you would be more likely to be able to get your money out of a used Leupold, then a Weaver that you bought new.

Last edited:
The new Weaver 46X is an excellent scope for indoor and outdoor competition. I used one at the Barn (ARA Nationals) last week and prefer it to my Leupold 40X Competition and also a NightForce 12-42 which it replaced on my 13.5 lb. rifle. The only major drawback to the Weaver is it does not focus below 50 yards, for those that wish to shoot at closer distances. This was only a minor issue for me, because I prefer to rough in a scope at 25 yards before moving out to 50 yards. The tracking mechanism appears to be excellent IMO. John

boyd
I agree!! ill just wait a while and maybe, just maybe a nice used weaver xr will post in the want adds at a considerable discount? Lee

Back