Weatherby Or Remington

G

giblett

Hello Just Signed Up.i Reload A Lot 223-308.shoot Mostly Remington And Savage Rifles. Wally World Has Synthetic Stocked Vanguard 27owin. For Less Than 500$. Just Wondering If Any Of You Have Any Experience With These Rifles Accuracy Good Or Bad Or Should I Stick With Remingtons And Savages. I Plan On Buying A 270 To Deer Hunt With. Thanks

The problem with Weatherbys IMO is if you get one that doesn't shoot the way you expect it, there isn't much for after market accuracy parts to help out. I had a new Accumark that wouldn't do better than 1.5 MOA but that was their guarantee so I couldn't complain. I'm not beating Weatherbys, as they are nice to look at.

my .02

Wade

Last edited by a moderator:
I somewhat agree with Wade. I have owned many Weatherbys and still own 3. A 7mm Weatherby Mag in Mark V Deluxe, 30-378 Weatherby Mag Accumark and a Centurion 12 Ga shotgun. The 7mm is probably 50+ years old and was my father's rifle. I still holds well below 1 MOA at 100 yards if I do my part. The 30-378 is new to my collection and I haven't had the time (or money) to play with it a whole lot, but it seems that it to will be capable of under 1/2 MOA performance once I get the load dialed in.

I also had owned a 243 Vanguard Compact (short barrel) that was sub MOA capable and has shot as small as 1/2 MOA. I bought that rifle at a going out of business sale because he sold at $10 over his cost. I traded it for a Rem 700 22-250 because of the aftermarket selection. The 700 gets 3/4 MOA and is stock. With some add ons, I am sure I can get it below 1/4 MOA consistantly.

I have also had a few Weatherbys that I could not get below the 1 MOA mark and they no longre clutter my safe. It is to bad that there are not as many companies building accesories/drop in stocks for Weatherbys. I have always loved them.

So to answer your question, Weatherby or Remington, my answer is... umm....Yes?

Rocky

Remington

Maybe Mr Borden can add to this, strength, ability to modify, dependability, aftermarket parts, resale.....Remington.

for rocky

rocky, fyi great american gunstocks makes aftermarket stocks for the weatherby. Greg Moyer

Remington hands down. Weatherby's were never made to SHOOT, only to SELL to folks who don't know any better. Roy was a salesman of the first order.

al

For whacking deer a Savage/Stevens for $300 should work just fine.

If I could add to my original reply, If you have $500 or so saved up I would hold off and save a lil more. Check the classifieds here and elsewhere and you will eventually find a good deal on an accurized Remmy or Savage with custom tube that will drive tacks. I have to turn away everytime I see a semi-custom Remmy in a fast twist .223 or 6BR.

Wade

Maybe Mr Borden can add to this, strength, ability to modify, dependability, aftermarket parts, resale.....Remington.

Exactly......plus......I would guess 99% of accuracy smiths can/will work on a remmy. A friend of mine had a wby re-barreled ...had the worst trigger any of us had ever seen. This was 3 years ago, and maybe things have changed since, but his only option.....only one, ...was to buy another factory WBY trigger. According to the smith there was no "tuning" a WBY trigger and no aftermarket triggers.:(

People hand me their mini cannons (some not so mini :eek: )to do load work on quite often, and by far the best shooters are the remmys. I have tried four different 30-378's and one 338-378 accumartk and had very little luck with them. One of the guys continued where I left off (or should I say gave up) and he ended up using xxx grains of H 1000 behind a 200 smk at 2800 fps.....right in there with LIGHT 300 win mag loads. It shot about 1/2 - 3/4 inch groups. That's a lot of powder for 2800 fps!!!

On the other hand...a friend had a Vanguard (15 years old...puke green stock) re-barreled in 300 WBY from 7mm rem. The smith shouldn't have done it because when I got the gun and was doing my usual measuring I found the mag well at about 3.25" (not sure, but it was SHORT). I had to seat the bullets W---A---Y deep. The gun shot AW SOME!!! :confused:

TOD

I have three Vanguards and all of them shot 1/2" or less at a hundred yards. I've replaced the stock triggers with Timneys and that seems to do the trick. I have a 300, a 308 and a 257 and they all shoot light out.

I have three Vanguards and all of them shot 1/2" or less at a hundred yards. I've replaced the stock triggers with Timneys and that seems to do the trick. I have a 300, a 308 and a 257 and they all shoot light out.

I haven't done any research lately. Is there a difference between the old vanguard and the new one? Is the trigger different between a vanguard and a MK V?? Is there a trigger available for the MK V?

Thanks,
TOD

The Vanguard is made by Howa. Excellent hunting accuracy out of the box.

papapaul, i believe weatherby dropped howa several years ago and all their barreled actions are manufactured by saco in maine now even the vanguard line.
that said i believe i would opt for the savage or remmy. Greg Moyer

I have both, and use them mostly on P dogs.
In all honestly they both work fine! The Weatherby is smooth, all steel, and the synthetic stock is better! It also has a tighter chamber, with less freebore! The trigger is also adjustable
The Remington has alot going for it, with after the market parts, and the gunsmiths favor tem.
I'd say you won't go wrong either way.
jim

My experience with Vanguards is very limited. I own one - a stainless/synthetic stock .270. The trigger was bad so I put in a Timney which includes a 3 position safety. Really nice trigger. Other than that, no work. The test target showed a 3 shot group 6/10 of an inch atg 100 yards. (Ask to see the test target before you make a purchase decision on a Vanguard) My Vanguard will shoot a variety of full power hunting loads into MOA or better groups and with best handloads, can shoot into 1/2 inch.

There Is always the exception to the rule.......

Remington hands down. Weatherby's were never made to SHOOT, only to SELL to folks who don't know any better. Roy was a salesman of the first order.

al

I have a Weatherby 7mm Mag Vanguard that will consistantly print 1/2" groups at 100 yrds. Not only does this rifle look and shoot great, but it has finely figured wood. I droped a 6 point bull elk at over 200 yrds with two shots, and the second was not needed.
I do not hunt any more, but would not hesitate to use the Weatherby on any hunt.:p

BB of course you're right :) Some Weatherby's will shoot OK.

But as you said, it's the exception which proves the rule. GENer'ly a Rem700 will shoot rings around a Weatherby.

al

remington weatherby

thanks for all the input. been working 7 days a week no time to reply back. since i am working so much i may buy both can"t have too many toys

For a deer hunting rifle, I would guess that it really doesnt matter which one you buy. Buy the one who's stock fits you best and the one which point better. The one which you can bring up quickest on point of aim will serve you best. Stock fit is more important than fancyness of wood grain.

If your looking for a out of the box sub-moa gun, then I would guess get another Remington or Savage, but as with anything its alway luck of the draw.

For a deer rifle, depending on where you live and the type of hunting you will do, such factors as how heavy is the gun, will you be jump shooting in heavy brush, shooting in flat open plains, packing gun up a mountain, hunting by driving down dirt roads, etc, etc all play a part in what would make a ideal gun. In more than one of the above scenarios, even a youth model carbine in 243 may be a excellent choice. In other situations, a heavy long varmit type barreled rifle may be a better choice in 7 mm mag or something similar if you are planning to hunt at slightly longer ranges.

There are all kind of situations which you may put your self in as you hunt deer, and if you can plan a head befor you purchase, you could find your self enjoying your hunt little more. For some people, the most important thing is to look good while you hunt, to others, a worn out sporterized mauser is more than adequate. Or... it could be that a 30-30 lever action is all that you need.

What do I think is the most ideal deer rifle? a 600 Remington Mohawk in 6mm Remington.... But.... It hasnt been made in quite some time.

Buy the one you like best, or buy one of each :D

Back