We stopped the "Duke of Earl"

Cabin Mike

Team Calfee "Big Dog"
We found a way to stop the "Duke of Earl" at our little "Hoosier Rimfire Calfee Pistol Invitational Tournament" this weekend. We outlawed the use of the Duke.....This ought to stop that Craig Young fellow in his tracks, right? Wrong....He just broke out his trusty little # 5 pistol "Lil' Duke" to take his place and proceeded to give us all the butt whuppin' we deserved.

We had a great time even though we had to listen to Craig all of the rest of the night and the next morning......Boy do I feel sorry for DJ Hepler & Jeff Braun for having to ride all of the way home with him....

We had terrible winds that made the scores very difficult below are the top 3.

Craig Young 2041.667 agg (with personal #5 "Lil' Duke")
Mike Mullins 2000.000 agg (Mike brought personal #11 out of retirement)
DJ Hepler 1958.333 agg (personal #13)

2009_Calfee_Tournament_winners_1.JPG

Mike Sherrill

Glad to see my old Friends Criag and DJ doiing the business as they always do.

From your friend, Andyd (UK)

Congratulations

Craig, DJ, and Mike.

Craig I know your in a dilemma on which DUKE to shoot in the PSL. Hey, I know, you shoot Lil Duke and I'll shoot Big Duke.

Mr Young, keep one of those Dukes warm for me with plenty of ammo so I can borrow it @ The US World Titles in 2011...

P.S. Daisy Duke is my prefered option, if u know what I mean ;)

Last edited:
Craig,

Do you think that Daisy Duke tag will stick? I like it
Sounds like you are enjoying yourself and that’s what its all about.

Peter

Congratulations Craig

My friend:

Congratulations Craig, great shooting under extremely tough conditions.

Craig, I love history.....I think you do too.....I've asked Beau to post a picture of Ray Doss, taken at a match in 1997.....he is shooting your little XP #5...

Ray did some great work with it....I think he would be proud of your win.

Great shooting by all..

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Those "DUKES" are pretty tough, but.......................

I think Ol' Earl might be kind of hard to handle too!!!:D:D:D

Friend Phil

Friend Phil:

Ray Doss was a "man's man"....and one hell of a gunsmith......and one hell of a cook.....he ran the matches at Miami R&P for some years, he always put on the best matches, and, the best feeds......but man, could he ever shoot little #5..........

I simply got to tell you a story:

.....one day I took little #5 with me to the monthly match at Miami R&P.....Ray was shooting, his gun, but after the first target, not doing too well.....I asked him if he would be interested in trying little #5....I took it with me, had just finished it, and it was for sale......

Anyway, Ray shot little #5..............I headed home after the match..

When I got home, Ray had called, on my answering machine............he had to have little #5.......I delivered it to him a few days later at an FFL dealer in Ohio.....

oh my friends on BRC...What memories I have...

Looks like my friend Craig is keeping Ray's, and little #5's, shooting alive....

Craig, again my friend, you did good!

Your friend, BC

Last edited:
Calfee #5

Thanks for the kind words from all, that is a good bunch of guys and gals at Hoosier Rimfire , Hello to Mary, we had some of the best food I think I have ever eaten. I have talked to Ray about #5 he said he had a stroke and wasnt shooting anymore and that is how it came to me. I sure enjoy shooting the Calfee XP's thanks to you Bill for building them. Lil' Duke, I dont know it might fly, right now I like Little #5 the best. Also thanks to my friends Andy, Bill and Peter hope to see you before the World's in 2011.

The picture of Ray was taken at Dave Horners place in South Webster.I seen Ray about two months ago at a gun show he was in good spirit.Craig did you get the other xp I told you about?? Jerry

Jerry

Nope, it was a silhouette model and I could not use it. I told him about a range in Modesto and I think he will use it himself.

I could use the silhouette model if it's still available. Any help?

Congrats, Craig!

Congratulations on your big win, Craig! I'd bet D.J. & Jeff heard a lot of happy chatter on the way home!:) Congrats also to Mike Mullins & D.J on 2nd & 3rd! I heard the shooting conditions were terrible. We missed being there and seeing everyone, so a big "Hello" to all!:)

I can remember how great the food was last year and I've heard the Master Chefs, Mike & Mary, Mark & Jane, had some mighty tasty dishes prepared again...stuffed pork, fried rice, chicken noodle soup, brownies, pies to name a few...and, oh yeah, I heard that Doug Brown brought along some of his famous persimmon pudding!:) Great people, great hospitality! Hope we can make it next time!

Congrats, again! Donna

Back