We need to fix this - TOGETHER!

Wilbur

cook and bottle washer
I can try to fix it alone but it's better that we all chip in.

50/50 and RBA rules explicitly state that bolts be removed and ARA makes it pretty darn clear. That said, the attached photos were taken at a 50/50 match this weekend. Additionally, I observed several instances of folks leaving the firing line with closed bolts.

I'm gonna go out a limb here and suggest that this behavior did not simply "crop up" at this match but is rather an ongoing lackadaisical attitude concerning an extremely important safety rule. In fact, we've reached the "tipping point".

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• web1.jpg
    web1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,448
  • web2.jpg
    web2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,426
  • web3.jpg
    web3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,419
  • web5.jpg
    web5.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,405
  • web6.jpg
    web6.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,407
Last edited:
Hi Wilbur,

I think part of the problem is with some of the Match Directors. They must know the rules and clearly state them to the shooters long before the commence fire and throughout the match if necessary. If, after a warning, the shooter continues this unsafe behavior he should be DQ'ed.

Al

Safety meeting before match starts?

Is there a mandatory brief meeting before the match starts? I know that where I shoot, the match director will have a quick (maybe a couple of minutes long) meeting with all of the competitors before the match begins.

The safety rules need to be specifically addressed at that meeting, and then a zero tolerance policy must be enforced. As long as everyone understands the rules and the fact that there will be a zero tolerance policy enforced, it won't take long for people to conform to the rules.

It might take a couple of shooters being DQ'ed for not following the rules, but attitudes will change. We in the shooting sports cannot afford to take ANY shortcuts with respect to safety.

SteveM.

I've seen this at a lot of ARA matches in the past. It (open bolts)has never been a problem that I know of. I know it's no excuse but as I recall, at the time, there was no specific rule that stated removal. I think it was more or less up to the match director at any particular club. I haven't been active for awhile mostly due to ammo costs among other reasons like gas was $4.25 a gallon also. It never bothered me too much because I have a habit of looking at the guns all the time and the only thing that did get my attention was one sitting around with a closed bolt ESPECIALLY if the competitor was just leaving the line. That should never be allowed to happen. I would, in that case, go out of my way and immediately tell them they need to open the bolt NOW and/or find who's gun it was and have them open it or tell the match director('s) if it was in the rack. I think a lot of us think about it the same way I have in the past...what the hell am I going to do with the bolt...stick it in my pocket, or maybe drop it on the cement accidently, or lay it down somewhere and try to remember where? I have seen several times guys that removed their bolts only to drop them on the cement bench or, worse, on the cement pad. If I start competing again I think I found the answer..a belt leather bolt holder but you still need to be very careful handling it because if it hits the cement you may have a big problem. Another way I've seen that was okay to me was an open bolt with a red/orange or some bright color flag inserted in the chamber. One thing is whatever is done EVERYONE should be doing the SAME thing.

Guys,

I think what Wilbur is asking is that each one of you, individually, make a conscience effort to remove your own bolt when the rifle is not in a ready position on the line.

We don't need a rule (maybe we do for some).

We need individual responsibiltiy and a willingness to set an example for proper safety.

Like Wilbur said....TOGETHER.

A simple solution . . .

When I was shooting Centerfire benchrest, I bought one of those "bolt holsters" at Kelbly's range. Seems everyone had them. I dropped my bolt a couple of times before I learned the holster was a good thing. They were always available for sale at the big matches, but not at the smaller matches.

Here at our range no one is selling bolt holsters and we have a Semi-Auto Class. So what do we do? We cut 6 inch lengths of orange weed whacker cord and make sure each competitor has one sticking out of his chamber before "Commence Fire" and after "Cease Fire".

I bought 50 yellow Chamber Flags from Sinclair last year: The ones used in NRA Highpower matches. They were too big to fit in the .22 caliber chamber. We don't run NRA Highpower matches UP here any more, but I'm thinking we can use them next fall during our Deer Hunter Sight-In-Days.

If chamber flags are good enough for Sanctioned/Approved NRA matches, they are good enough for me in a rimfire benchrest match. And: Weed Whacker Cord is cheap enough that the club afford to buy it and give it to the competitors.

Joe Haller

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the flag idea better. It's easier and therefore promotes compliance. But, from what I saw, the bolts are open on all of those rifles. That makes them safe. And, yes, I understand if the bolt is out, then it can't fire (maybe), but ARA says to remove the bolt or remove the rifle from the bench. So, the spirit of the rule appears to be for people moving downrange. Obviously a range director cannot see if all the bolts are open and is unlikely to see if the bolts have been removed. The flags are visible, and easy.

Consider an idea I have for one of my own stocks.
I have decide to include a "dummy" plastic receiver and bolt/cleaning guide located in the cheek piece area. of the buttstock.
During normal firing the dummy plastic bolt is kept in the dummy plastic receiver. In periods of storage or times to "make safe" the bolts are switched. This eliminated the problem I had with a loose bolt laying around (possibly several) collecting dust or inadvertently getting swapped between similar guns.
But this was just MY personal solution to the problem - you are free to use it or not as you see fit. Since I was going to use a plastic that would be lighter than the base wood stock (and the application I'm interested in weight was not an issue) I don't think it would make a gun heavier or less stiff. The forearm is another possible place, but I could see it interfering with the bags.

Bolt Holsters

You can find Knife Sheathes at almost any Gun Show that will hold the bolt and keep it safe. At the ranges where it's "Bolts Out" as in ARA, we only have to remind someone once, and from, then on there are no problems. I've also shot at numerous Schuetzen Clubs, where there is no hard a fast rule about the bolts. I've always kept my bolt in and hammer down for 35 years, and there has never been an acidental firing. The guns are placed in a rack with some bolts open and some closed. Everyone also respects another's equipment and only touches after he's given permission from the owner. All others are dealt with harshly.

I have already sent an E-mail to all of the San Angelo Gun Club 50/50 shooters.

We must never forget safety. In careless hands, our little target rifles can be very dangerous.

We have been keeping our rifles on our benches with plastic flags in the chambers. We need a rack in which to place our rifles while we are changing our targets.

It just happens that I have been working on some very portable gun racks that can hold a lot of guns.

The small one weights about 14 pounds and holds 10 rifles. The middle one holds 14 and the large one holds 22 rifles.

I believe that there is a limited need for these around rifle and shotgun ranges, as well as, hunting camps and pool halls. What are your ideas?

Bill Wynne

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3 GunRacks.jpg
    3 GunRacks.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,197
I am a connisure and VERY picky with ALL my firearms.....Of coruse safety is paramount at all time........I like the "Flag" idea.......less chance for me dropping my bolt on concrete,holsters or not.....less chance of me dinging a 1000 dollar stock when in a hurry for "shooters commence fire".....and easy to verify the gun is safe.......Thanks Ernie

I have already sent an E-mail to all of the San Angelo Gun Club 50/50 shooters.

We must never forget safety. In careless hands, our little target rifles can be very dangerous.

We have been keeping our rifles on our benches with plastic flags in the chambers. We need a rack in which to place our rifles while we are changing our targets.

It just happens that I have been working on some very portable gun racks that can hold a lot of guns.

The small one weights about 14 pounds and holds 10 rifles. The middle one holds 14 and the large one holds 22 rifles.

I believe that there is a limited need for these around rifle and shotgun ranges, as well as, hunting camps and pool halls. What are your ideas?

Bill Wynne

attachment.php

Bill, I would say you have a good idea there. But I just keep my pool hall gun in my pocket

Great post Wilbur. It might also make sense for all competitors to always make sure to look left and right when you get to the bench so you have safe neighbors.

Since I shoot a break open single shot, I use a series of two flags. One in the chamber with the gun broken open and the other to hold over my head on the bolts out command, mostly so the range officer sees my location and spots my chamber flag. So far this has been accepted at all matches I have shot in.

Since I shoot a break open single shot, I use a series of two flags. One in the chamber with the gun broken open and the other to hold over my head on the bolts out command, mostly so the range officer sees my location and spots my chamber flag. So far this has been accepted at all matches I have shot in.

You gonna bring your son back down to Camillus again for the IBS group shoot this year?

Bill, I would say you have a good idea there. But I just keep my pool hall gun in my pocket

Beau,

I am glad that you picked up on that "pool hall" bit. I was just checking to see if everyone was still awake.:)

Another good use for the gun rack might be for fishing poles or fishing rods.

Wilbur, you sure got us to thinking.

Concho Bill

Portable unit

Several years ago a writer from Mason, TX built a portable 4 ro 5 gun stand. It folded up and took up extra space in your trunk. Even had a sport to hold you Cooler,

gunrackwigloocooler.jpg

gunrackwgunsandrods2.jpg

Back