Wawarsing Rod and Gun Club 5/24 Results

Bill B

We had 9 shooters show up for the 3 gun and UL. Conditions were mostly cloudy, light winds to calm in the morning, periods of heavy rain in the afternoon with mostly light winds. I want to thank everyone that showed up and a big thanks to Gordon Eck for providing lunch today (meatballs and sauce on a hard roll with macaroni and potato salads). I also want to thank Pete Roberson and Chris Peterson for helping me with the scoring and thanks to all who chipped in and helped with set-up and break-down. You all help lighten the load. Now, man, were there some tight matches today. Who says it's not competitive in the NE? Here are the top 3.

Sporter: (check these out)

Bill Buskey 250-20X (fm 12)
Bob Griffin 250-20X (fm 1)
Chris Peterson 249-21X

10.5:

Pete Roberson 250-19x
Ed Longo 250-18x
Bob Griffin 249-18x

Ed Longo 250-15x
Bob Griffin 249-14x
Paul Vobecky 248-16x

3 Gun

Bob Griffin 748-52x
Ed Longo 748-46x
Bill Buskey 747-47x

UL (Here's where it got real interesting)

UL-1:

Bill Buskey 249-18x
Ed Longo 249-16x fm 25
Bob Griffin 249-16x fm17

UL-2:

Ed Longo 249-19x
Pete Roberson 249-15X
Bill Buskey 249-12x

UL-3:

Joe Turturro 250-18x
Bill Buskey 249-20x
Bob Griffin 249-19x

UL Agg:

Bill Buskey 747-50X
Joe Turturro 747-50x
Ed Longo 747-49x
Pete Roberson 747-44x

In the battle of The Un-Calfee with the only Calfee gun in the field, (Joe Turtorro's Merlin) it was a tie that was broken by UL-1 score. It doesn't get much closer than that. Good shooting Joe! Congrats to all the winners! Man oh man was it a close one.

ps, Question for Slick Willy: With all these close matches/targets today, guess, how many protests there were?

pps Corrected Results UL-1 was even closer. I missed Bob Griffin's 249-16 for third.

Last edited:
I don`t Have a Clue???

I do have a formula for you though Buskey, Total all the $1 in your pocket and Divide by two That would be an answer, now if you forgot your $1 the answer would be nil!

The answer would be - none. In fact, there has not been one protest in any of the matches I've attended to date, by anyone. Amazing!!! Actually, it's pretty typical.

That approach would win more friends for you!

Have you turn over a new leaf? That`s is good Bill , now if you can refrain from doing this 100% at all other venues ,you will be able to lead by example! I`m glad your rehabilitation is working, I`m impressed!

We had 9 shooters show up for the 3 gun and UL. Conditions were mostly cloudy, light winds to calm in the morning, periods of heavy rain in the afternoon with mostly light winds. I want to thank everyone that showed up and a big thanks to Gordon Eck for providing lunch today (meatballs and sauce on a hard roll with macaroni and potato salads). I also want to thank Pete Roberson and Chris Peterson for helping me with the scoring and thanks to all who chipped in and helped with set-up and break-down. You all help lighten the load. Now, man, were there some tight matches today. Who says it's not competitive in the NE? Here are the top 3.

Sporter: (check these out)

Bill Buskey 250-20X (fm 12)
Bob Griffin 250-20X (fm 1)
Chris Peterson 249-21X

10.5:

Pete Roberson 250-19x
Ed Longo 250-18x
Bob Griffin 249-18x

Ed Longo 250-15x
Bob Griffin 249-14x
Paul Vobecky 248-16x

3 Gun

Bob Griffin 748-52x
Ed Longo 748-46x
Bill Buskey 747-47x

UL (Here's where it got real interesting)

UL-1:

Bill Buskey 249-18x
Ed Longo 249-16x
Joe Turturro 249-14X

UL-2:

Ed Longo 249-19x
Pete Roberson 249-15X
Bill Buskey 249-12x

UL-3:

Joe Turturro 250-18x
Bill Buskey 249-20x
Bob Griffin 249-19x

UL Agg:

Bill Buskey 747-50X
Joe Turturro 747-50x
Ed Longo 747-49x
Pete Roberson 747-44x

In the battle of The Un-Calfee with the only Calfee gun in the field, (Joe Turtorro's Merlin) it was a tie that was broken by UL-1 score. It doesn't get much closer than that. Good shooting Joe! Congrats to all the winners! Man oh man was it a close one.

ps, Question for Slick Willy: With all these close matches/targets today, guess, how many protests there were?

Bill B,
I shot my first IR50/50 3 gun match on April 27th at the Manatee Gun Club in Florida. Joe Turturro was one of the match participants. He and Doug Bell are very good friends and for some reason I thought Joe was from Wisconsin also. I didn't pay any attention to the rifles Joe was using, but there were a number of Calfee and Eck rifles in the rack. I see Joe Turturro fired many excellent cards in the above match, as did you. Congratulations to you for the Unlimited win, and to Bob Griffin for the 3 gun win. Good shooting across the board guys. John

It was a rare "equipment day" here in SE NY. While one had to watch for a few slight breezes and some periods of mirage, it was pretty much as good as it gets here. The Un-Calfee and Merlin (Spec 4) even look alike. Both have black/white swirl angled butt stocks. I have to say tho that the graphics on my stock looked nicer ;) . How can an inferior non-blueprinted SAP Stiller action :rolleyes:, with a cut-rifled barrel, (rejected by it's previous owner) Eck rifle shoot with a Calfee SPEC rifle with a blue-printed Turbo PAS action, buttoned rifled barrel at probably twice the cost? There just ain't no way that is supposed to happen. Not if you visit the WWA site anyway. And what can you say about those Eck Sporters? Two 250-20Xs and a 249-21X in a small match. The heavy guns couldn't best those 250-20X scores. Thank you Gordon Eck for building us these rifles that can compete with anybody's, even doing the near impossible with The Un-Calfee. That spearment is looking more and more like a success.

When Lynn (the waterboy) says the Stiller 2500X action isn't winning, he isn't looking at the NE. It must be something in the water up here.

Last edited:
It was a rare "equipment day" here in SE NY. While one had to watch for a few slight breezes and some periods of mirage, it was pretty much as good as it gets here. The Un-Calfee and Merlin (Spec 4) even look alike. Both have black/white swirl angled butt stocks. I have to say tho that the graphics on my stock looked nicer ;) . How can an inferior non-blueprinted SAP Stiller action, with a cut-rifled barrel, (rejected by it's previous owner) Eck rifle shoot with a Calfee SPEC rifle with a blue-printed Turbo PAS action, buttoned rifled barrel at probably twice the cost? There just ain't no way that is supposed to happen. Not if you visit the WWA site anyway. And what can you say about those Eck Sporters? Two 250-20Xs and a 249-21X in a small match. The heavy guns couldn't best those 250-20X scores. Thank you Gordon Eck for building us these rifles that can compete with anybody's, even doing the near impossible with The Un-Calfee. That spearment is looking more and more like a success.

When Lynn (the waterboy) says the Stiller 2500X action isn't winning, he isn't looking at the NE. It must be something in the water up here.

Agreed, when it comes to IR50/50 Sporter class, I doubt that anyone in the U.S. builds a better Sporter than Gordon Eck. As a hobbyist smith, I was aware of his expertize, so when building my Sporter I acquired the dimensions from one of Gordon Eck's Sporters for back-boring the dog knot at the muzzle. Because of this, my Sporter rifle shoots surprisingly well ... thanks to Mr. Eck!

As for the PAS/SAP ignition dispute, I doubt seriously that it makes much difference one way or the other. I shoot three rifles with XIII actions, all of which have the PAS ignition. They have some drawbacks too, because one is limited to using a maximum firing pin spring diameter of .240". The factory springs were not up to par IMO, however I finally acquired some excellent springs from Mr. Pepper ... thank you Jim. The SAP ignition custom actions offer far more latitude in modifying spring pressure/strength, because the springs are generally larger in diameter. I had the opportunity to shoot a rifle with a Stiller 2500X action in St. Louis last August. It is a beautiful high tech action, that is as smooth as glass. The 2500X's should be winning the larger matches soon.

Bill
Thanks for a good match with much to learn. Congratulations to all the winners.

Center 22
Stillers SAP action fixed the spring issue. His brilliant guide for the cocking piece to center itself through the trigger plates is the answer to ignition. The pas action has to have the slot for the guide pin perfectly centered in the bolt body. The pin hole has to be centered also. Now comes the spring problem. When a pas coacks their is a lot more wear on one side of the slot. Old actions verses new ones need different springs. As you know 10x learned this the hard way. Glad your sporter barrel worked out. They are fun to shoot.

Tuff and proud NY'ers

You guys are tuff.......!!!

I had to shoot a 21 x to get a third place in sporter..... well done guys.

I had a great time shooting with you. Looking forward to next weekend.

Chris

PS Gordon it's been said many times but your ability to produce exceptional guns keeps me interested in this game, Thanks.

Congrats to all the winners with some great scores. Glad to see Joe T. was also having a nice day with his Calfee. Good shooting Joe. Doug

Spec 4 shows up

When Merlin shows up at my range. Joe t. Promtly made us aware that He Was Now something SPECIAL. He just got a Calfee Gun. He jammed that down our throats. People said i would never own a Calfee Spec Gun. His Words. Now it was Bills Personal GUN. Six Thousand Seven Hundred and Fifty Dollars later he was the proud owner. Not sure how many people was impresed. But he sure was. Baby Merlin was a another chapter.

Bill
Thanks for a good match with much to learn. Congratulations to all the winners.

Center 22
Stillers SAP action fixed the spring issue. His brilliant guide for the cocking piece to center itself through the trigger plates is the answer to ignition. The pas action has to have the slot for the guide pin perfectly centered in the bolt body. The pin hole has to be centered also. Now comes the spring problem. When a pas coacks their is a lot more wear on one side of the slot. Old actions verses new ones need different springs. As you know 10x learned this the hard way. Glad your sporter barrel worked out. They are fun to shoot.

GordonE,
I've spoken with Jerry Stiller on several occasions, during matches we've attended. He is one of the good guys, who willing to put out big bucks in advance, to provide "excellent actions" for rimfire smiths and competitors. He has taken verbal abuse on another board, so he must be tough too! Thanks for sharing the above information with me and others ... not many smiths would do it. Bye the way, you also have to be a "class act" to prepare lunch for all the shooter who attended the match. You are right about the Sporters ... amazingly accurate and a blast to shoot. Thanks for responding. John

When Merlin shows up at my range. Joe t. Promtly made us aware that He Was Now something SPECIAL. He just got a Calfee Gun. He jammed that down our throats. People said i would never own a Calfee Spec Gun. His Words. Now it was Bills Personal GUN. Six Thousand Seven Hundred and Fifty Dollars later he was the proud owner. Not sure how many people was impresed. But he sure was. Baby Merlin was a another chapter.

Ouch ... that is a big chunk of change for a rifle!

firing pin location

John

Bill has 12:00 Bob has 6:00 Chris has anchutz 6:00 all with different barrels. I don't think 6:00 pins is as earth shattering as some. They don't hurt anything. This Advancing Rimfire may have Stalled a while back.

John

Bill has 12:00 Bob has 6:00 Chris has anchutz 6:00 all with different barrels. I don't think 6:00 pins is as earth shattering as some. They don't hurt anything. This Advancing Rimfire may have Stalled a while back.

12:00 vs 6:00 pin ... PAS vs SAP ignition - 2 locking lugs vs 3 locking lugs - nothing earth shattering either way. It's usually the skilled shooter who rises to the top of the list, with a well made rifle, good ammo and a bit of luck thrown in. John

win 52

Gordon, In the afternoon I got my Win 52, 12 oclock, stock barrel, Redfield 3200 24 x scope mounted on the BARREL, to shoot a 249. Go figure.

It's all good...... 51 year old gun that was used to train our military, it's a US property gun.

Chris

12:00 vs 6:00 pin ... PAS vs SAP ignition - 2 locking lugs vs 3 locking lugs - nothing earth shattering either way. It's usually the skilled shooter who rises to the top of the list, with a well made rifle, good ammo and a bit of luck thrown in. John

Agreed, but apparently there are some that buy into the "perfect" this and "ultimate" that nonsense. They either shoot or they don't. That's all there is to it. If our rifles and ammo perform predictably, then the misses are the shooter's fault.

Last edited:
Back