Wasatch action?

James M.

On another forum there is a 6BR Imp. rifle for sale, and it has a Wasatch action. The rifle was built by Mike Bryant, so I know that it was put together well. The price is attractive, but I don't know anything about the small Wasatch action. I understand that it is similar (or the same) as the Rampro action, but am not sure. Does anyone know the dimensions; tenon, thread pitch, etc. of this action? Thanks in advance for any info. James Mock

James,
I see you deleted your response to my post. You asked Mike who? Read your own post James. You said Mike Bryant built it. Who is better to know about it?

Butch, you know that I am getting old and senile. I realized who you were referring to and deleted my post. Mike has a filter on his e-mail and I haven't tried to reach him. Thanks for the suggestion and I may try a PM. Good shooting...James

For what it's worth, my Rampro action, and the others I've worked on have 1 1/16-16 threads. the tenon length is relatively short, about .700 or so and the bolt nose is coned with a small flat on the front. The photos of the Wasatch action posted on Saubier look exactly like the Rampro.

Last edited:
Butch, you know that I am getting old and senile. I realized who you were referring to and deleted my post. Mike has a filter on his e-mail and I haven't tried to reach him. Thanks for the suggestion and I may try a PM. Good shooting...James

James, I don't know who made the Wasatch action. The action was originally made by Rampro and then the tooling, rights or whatever was sold out to whoever it is that's made the Wasatch action. It's a very short bolt and is not a normal diameter bolt. I think it's a little smaller than .700" maybe .685" or something like that. The Rampro's had a mini 16 type extractor. I looked at the ad and the Wasatch has a sako style extractor. The bolt nose is coned, but the cone doesn't come to the front edge of the bolt nose giving it a little bit of flat at the front of the bolt nose on the Rampro's. The Wasatch may or may not be like that. I don't remember. I looked at the invoice on the only Wasatch action that I could find in my invoices and the Hart 6mm 8 twist barrel was chambered using the customers reamer for what is listed as a 6mm BR Tajhas which would be an improved 6 BR. I don't know any specs on the cartridge. I would guess that it was supposed to be named 6mm BR Tejas, which was the original Spanish spelling of Texas. The ad says that it's a Krieger barrel, but my invoice shows that it's a Hart barrel. I don't remember whether the action has a trigger hanger or not. It was pillar bedded into a McMillan MBR stock in Green and white marble. Built originally in 2007 for a customer in Utah. Any clear coating on the stock was done after the customer received it as it wasn't done here.

I no longer have the spam filtering thing on my e-mail, but the mike@bryantcustom.com e-mail address went defunct when my web site was discontinued. I can be reached by e-mail at bryantcustom(at)gmail.com or bryantcustom(at)outlook.com. Either one will get to me. Subsitute the @ symbol for (at). Or you can call at 8068265618 tomorrow which is my shop phone if you need any more specifics. The brake shown on the invoice is a Vais. The invoice shows that it has a Shilen trigger on it. Don't know whether its a BR trigger or their standard trigger. Of course, it may not still be as it was originally sent out. It looks like someone has made a trade for the rifle so may not make any difference anyway.

Halverson2.jpg

Last edited:
I ran into an HS precision pistol action the other day that had a coned bolt with the flat on it. Once i got the barrel off- i think they used black loctite. Tuffest barrel ive ever got loose- then i seen that cone on there and was tuff to cut that flat and get the cone spacing correct. I hope i never see another one!

Thanks all. I just took two aspirin and forgot about a new rifle. I guess I will stay with my old BAT. James Mock

The Wasatch action was made by a fellow named Brad Stair. He was originally from Texas, I met him when he was in Colorado Springs and his gunsmith business was "Performance Guns". He moved to West Haven, Utah where he continued his gunsmith business with all of his own case designs he called "Tejas" (most had a 50 or 60 degree shoulder). He got funding from somewhere to buy all the equipment to start Wasatch Actions. It was a debacle from the very start and very short lived. he bounced around for several years after from one gunsmith job to another

If you look at the photo, it's a right bolt left port. The extractor would be on the top of the left lug. When the bolt is closed, it would be in the right side of the raceway. If it did happen to blow out, it would be contained in the raceway as the bolt handle closes up the raceway at the rear. Whether it would be a problem or not if it had a left ejection port, I don't know. Lots of right bolt, left port, right eject rifles with sako extractors being shot with no problems.

Back