Was Ferris Pindell's magic bullet 80 gr. or 105 gr.

James M.

When I interviewed Ferris in May of 2006, he showed me his new bullet with the needle point and the dies that he used to make it. He told me that it was 105gr. and that if he were competing now, he would use this bullet at 200 yards in a 6mm BR rather than the PPC case. Ferris was having a little trouble with his memory in 2006 and I believe that the bullet was probably the 80 gr. referred to on this forum some time back. Good shooting......James Mock

Attachments

• Scanned 001.JPG
    Scanned 001.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
"When I interviewed Ferris in May of 2006, he showed me his new bullet with the needle point and the dies that he used to make it. He told me that it was 105gr. and that if he were competing now, he would use this bullet at 200 yards in a 6mm BR rather than the PPC case. Ferris was having a little trouble with his memory in 2006 and I believe that the bullet was probably the 80 gr. referred to on this forum some time back. Good shooting......James Mock "

Nope!! It was 105g.

JimP

Not sure what it weighed because I never touched it..............Ferris said it was POISON I'm pretty sure he said it was 80gr. Like Jerry says below, Ferris talked about the first 6 shots going through a hole. He was getting hit pretty hard with the dementia then, so I imagine a lot of his info was a little mucked up.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
The pointy bullet I have of Ferrises is an 80 grain. The notes I found in Ferres book in his tool box next to the back door where I read the notation "the first six went exactly through the same hole" says it was an 80 grain. That said, I had the bullet Ferris carried in my hands twice but I can't guess if it was an 80 or 105. If it was a 105 it sure wasn't on a VLD length jacket.

Question for Jim Peckrell. When you sold Ferrises brass, was there much 30 degree shoulder brass. When I went through his shop, after you sold that brass for June, all I found was 40, PPC AND BR.

Question for Jsmes M. You refer to this bullet as his NEW 105 g bullet. Makes me wonder if he campaigned an 80 and a 105? Now I wonder too if the bullets he took to Geraci where he called it amazing, was it an 80 or 105???

Just checked. The 80 grain pointy I have of Ferris's is flat base and 0.920 OAL. A normal Berger VLD 105 is 1.235".

Last edited:
Jerry, I did not weigh the bullet, but it had a long BT like many VLD bullets and a completely closed point. The bullet in the picture was shown to many at the SS for 2 or three years. He told me that it drifted about 1/2 as much at 200 as a 68 gr. 6mm bullet out of a PPC. I was surprised when he said that he would use a 6BR to launch it because the PPC did not have enough horsepower. Ferris was an amazing man and he is truly missed by BR shooters everywhere. ..... Good shooting. James PS- Ferris' famed 45 degree bolt lug is shown below.

Attachments

• Super Shoot 2012 007.jpg
    Super Shoot 2012 007.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
I sure wish i had something he built. I didnt have any money back then.

I'll bet Dave Kiff still has some of the rifles like the one he gave away at Holton that Coots won. Jim Carmichel has some of Ferris's special tools like to check runout, etc. He was still selling some of this stuff for June.

More on the bullet thing. I had a loaded round he had loaded and decided to pull the bullet since it looked different. It had the needle point AND a conical nose, not ogive curved but conical AND it had a 0.1" boat tail, weighed 100 grains and was 1.003" long. It was a Lapua BR case and was loaded with 32.5 grains of what looked like the powder in a can I bought that was marked T322.

I had an unprimed case he had seated a bullet in, a Lapua BR case, and that bullet weighed104.5 grains, and had the pointy nose. That bullet was 1.205" long and had a 0.15" boat tail.

Evidently Ferris had more than one trick pony!!

Last edited:
I think you guys should ask the guy that footed the bill, designed and tested the pointer that Ferris made………. jim

Jim1K, please tell us more about the Pindell/Hardy connection. Were the two partners in any venture?; were there dies for sale? I am not doubting your word, but am seeking more information. Thanks, James Mock

Back