want to build a 6ppc that will shoot a 95 grain bib to 300 yds

Lew

I want to build a 6ppc that will shoot a 95 grain bib to 300 yds.
Want to shot the 95's due the bc factor
Have tried to shoot it with my dasher and lt32 powder and was having the bullets blow up.
My ppc can have any barrel I need on it.
Question is;
Is the ppc a 300 yd round and shoot the same accuracy as at 100.
Does the case have enough capacity maintain accuracy
What twist would be correct for it, I'm thinking 9 or 10.
What powder and what speed would be needed
What reamer
Or stick with a 6br or a dasher
Thanks for any input
Lew

I've used a 10 twist barrel and a 6br with Randy's 95fb bullets to win a 100 yard caliber neutral(UBR) score match that was the proverbial trigger pulling contest...so it'll shoot. I haven't given it much more testing, to be honest, than about 500 rounds. Overall, I was left feeling that the cons outweighed the good parts of shooting it, though. As I'm sure you know, every barrel is different and YMMV, but in the caliber neutral score game, I still feel like it may be worthwhile. Problem is, IMHO, you can't out bc a shot fired at the wrong time....It still won't go where you want it to, and I felt like it left a bit on the table compared to my 220 or 30's from a pure accuracy standpoint. Not a lot, though. The whole idea was to have a better bc for 200-300 yard UBR matches. I think the majority will say to stick with the proven lighter bullets and ppc cartridge in most types of short to medium range br, but if you try it, I'd like to hear your results.--Mike

with 68gr barts bullets and a 14tw all of mine shoot very well at 300. one shot a 200-18x last month preloaded with no wind flags and a rookie shooter. i have no complaints and not looking for another caliber to get that edge needed at 300.

with 68gr barts bullets and a 14tw all of mine shoot very well at 300. one shot a 200-18x last month preloaded with no wind flags and a rookie shooter. i have no complaints and not looking for another caliber to get that edge needed at 300.

What kinda target/discipline? 200-18x out of a possible, what?

N133 odd lots mixed up..
Mike- we shoot 20 shots for score at 200 and 20 shots at 300. So thats 200 possible at each range and 400 total. Think I shot a 394 30 something X this past weekend. Different classes too benchrest, f-open and f/tr

Its a fun shoot. Nothing official and wood benches with the seats made on em but would be real good for kids and hunting rifles. I just dont have a hunting gun im willing to shoot so much itll catch the stock on fire but it gets people out and shooting for $5

Could be wrong but my best guess looking at the target, from looking at the posted picture it appears very close a standard 100 yard NRA smallbore target if so the center X is about an inch, Comparing to IBS,NBRSA & UBR our tens are there Xs........ But like I said I could be wrong........

Thats about right. At 200&300 youd be surprised how many dont even get 1x. Its just a fun shoot any rifle any sight

The 6PPC is the most accurate cartridge in the world with 66 to 68 grain bullets within the 100 and 200 yard ranges using 1/13.5 to 1/15 twist barrels. Shoot it to 300 yards with those characteristics first to see what kind of results you get. Moving to a 95 grain bullet changes its inherently accurate properties and you've essentially bastardized it.

Instead of doing that look at the 6mmBr: http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/ :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2002 Ferris Pindell and I modified the PPC case just for shooting heavy bullets at long range. I shot it in the 2008 IBS 600 yard Nationals and got a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, and a 5th (there are 4 events in 600 yard bench rest). Get Hugh Henriksen to send you a copy of my 6-40 DunieD print. I mostly shot 90 g Berger BT's in it. It was a bit slow for 105's.

Last edited:
22ppc

Ed Sergent sent me an e-mail , day before yesterday. He's shooting a 22 PPC, w/8 twist. 85 grain bullets (don't know what kind) He said he had won 7 or 8 times.. Targets @ 585yds.. Don't have room for the full 600.
The 6PPC is the most accurate cartridge in the world with 66 to 68 grain bullets within the 100 and 200 yard ranges using 1/13.5 to 1/15 twist barrels. Shoot it to 300 yards with those characteristics first to see what kind of results you get. Moving to a 95 grain bullet changes its inherently accurate properties and you've essentially bastardized it.

Instead of doing that look at the 6mmBr: http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/ :)

Ed Sergent sent me an e-mail , day before yesterday. He's shooting a 22 PPC, w/8 twist. 85 grain bullets (don't know what kind) He said he had won 7 or 8 times.. Targets @ 585yds.. Don't have room for the full 600.

Tommy, you have my email, please send me Eds address. I keep trying to send or respond to you lately but the "tommy13" keeps bouncing back so send me a good address for you.

Lew
Im have been thinking along the same lines now for quite some time. im thinking a 6ppc improved would be the ticket for those 90gr bullets. I think its about time to have a reamer made.
I am also going to have a reamer made in 22ppc 100 short with 40 degree shoulders. Ill stick with the 52gr bullets there though. Only down side is that I will have to have a custom FL sizer die made for each. That's simple enough though. Lee

Lew
Im have been thinking along the same lines now for quite some time. im thinking a 6ppc improved would be the ticket for those 90gr bullets. I think its about time to have a reamer made.
I am also going to have a reamer made in 22ppc 100 short with 40 degree shoulders. Ill stick with the 52gr bullets there though. Only down side is that I will have to have a custom FL sizer die made for each. That's simple enough though. Lee

Lee - Kinda sounds like a Grendel necked down to 6mm(6 Major?). Looking at a few drawing, it looks like you could run your PPC reamer in about 0.070" deep, neck down Grendel brass and fireform.

Jerry

I got a say I would go with the straight 6br readily available components and dies.
IMO the ability to read the wind at that yardage is more important than what if any inherent accuracy of the case design is lost in using the BR

Last edited:
Back