Wal-Mart back in gun business.

G

gt40

The latest news, according to The Wall Street Journal, is that Wal-Mart will reload gun sales by cutting back on electronics floor space to make room for rifles, shotguns and ammunition at hundreds of U.S. stores.

gt40

Any of the super centers built around where I live in the last 6-7 years didn't have guns......guess what...everyone of them is putting guns in....I guess they got tired of being left out of a large market.

Hovis

You have never been in a Walmart unless you have been to the one in Kodiak AK. They had Weatherbys, Freedom Arms, Colts, Winchesters and ammo from 22 LR to 460 WBY mag. Better stocked than my local Sportsmans Warehouse- well, not quite the variety but definitely more of the big stuff!

They sold handguns and ammo too.

Last edited:
sam quit selling handguns after a shooting in one of thier parking lots down by san diego(el cajon ?).
guns started going out store by store from metro areas going outwards.....and that completed only a few years back.....

they never had what i was looking for........thin on components....mainline ammo...fair prices...great prices on 22 ammo.

now if they go back to allowing special orders....hmmmmmmmmm

mike in co

The one closest to me still has long guns and never did quit carrying them. Mostly junky stuff but I heard that some of them will take special orders.

An interesting variation on Wal-Mart where I live. Harvey, La, just across the Mississippi river from New Orleans.

The Wal-Mart 4 blocks from my home was ransacked the day after Hurricane Katrina struck. All areas of the store was looted,
including the sporting goods (rifles, shotguns, ammo). When they re-opened several months later, there were no guns which is still the case today.

However, after reading the above posts, I went over there and found the electronics dept. is having a drastic makeover.
So I guess it's true. I sure hope there pistol ammo prices drop.

Sam Walton had it right. When he was alive and running Walmart, he pushed made in the USA however after his death that was the end of his made in the USA push. Now it's more if you can find anything made in the US it's a wonder. I went to a local lumber yard a few weeks back needing a pipe wrench. There were three different 14" pipe wrenches. A China made one for $11, another one for $23 and a Rigid for $65. I bought the middle one then wish I hadn't when I finally found that it also had been made in China. Found the same Rigid online for $43 or so. That's just the price of living in a small town. It wouldnt surprise me if the Rigid was also made in China, but I think it is still US made. However, the Rigid will last a lifetime, the Chinese made wrench may last the job if you're lucky. My wife and I would just as soon not support Walmart and hate going in the store. It's put too many small businesses out of business.

Last edited:
Sam Walton had it right. When he was alive and running Walmart, he pushed made in the USA however after his death that was the end of his made in the USA push. Now it's more if you can find anything made in the US it's a wonder. I went to a local lumber yard a few weeks back needing a pipe wrench. There were three different 14" pipe wrenches. A China made one for $11, another one for $23 and a Rigid for $65. I bought the middle one then wish I hadn't when I finally found that it also had been made in China. Found the same Rigid online for $43 or so. That's just the price of living in a small town. It wouldnt surprise me if the Rigid was also made in the US. However, the Rigid will last a lifetime, the Chinese made wrench may last the job if you're lucky. My wife and I would just as soon not support Walmart and hate going in the store. It's put too many small businesses out of business

AMEN Mike!!!! the sooner Americans are willing to pay a little more to have a quality item that last, the sooner we can start HELPING PUT our American workers back to work and be a part of responsible supporter of our own economy and tax base, till then we'll watch Americans talk about their savings and watch them support foreign economies at the expense of their own and building foreign tax revenues. :confused:

I was gonna build a new bench gun and found a gunsmith in the phillipeans that was half price and sounded good but realized he was half price to go with his half witt!!! kinda like buying foreign goods over American at any price it is half witt! my $.02

Part of the problem in that wildcater is convincing the immigrant population to follow suit. The have no loyalty to America and buying power in vast numbers that only cares about the cheap price.

I hope I never move to a town so small that I haven't any other source for a firearms purchase. I don't know where some of you live or how your Walmart looks, but I can't think of a store that I'm more embarrassed to be seen in. To me, Walmart is a reminder of everything that's gone wrong with America.

Back