von ahrens tuner.

M

mr. nobody

just how hard is this tuner to set? i looked at one today and got to thinking that it looks like it could take a long time to get it exactly right. with all the wieghts and settings on the adjustment ring. just how hard is this tuner to get exactly right? it really looks like it could be a mess to me.

von Ahrens Tuner

This tuner is no harder to tune than a Harrell tuner. You add weight till your group tightens up and fine tune with the adjustable ring. It is also a little lighter than a Harrell tuner and gives you more range to tune than the other tuner. Both tuners do the job you just have more choices now.

James,

I've asked the same question because according to what I've heard it's not just the weight but the placement of the weight that matters on the Van Ahrens. Supposedly, it was made to have a significant number of possible variations with steel and aluminum and each one is different. I know most people just add weight and then do the find adjustment, but I thing the placement is part of the the disign. There are six weights maybe seven. If placement does matter that's 6! or 720 possible combinations. I'm sure if my math is wrong, an engineer will pop up here and tell me, but regardless, I'm pretty sure placement is supposed to matter.

It is a matter of finding the correct weight, then adjusting collar in 1 rev increments to get an idea of where it wants to be. I have found none of the variations in weight set up to make a difference over the initial 'easy weight set up. What I mean is, when going up in weight, go with the simplest weight variation. 5 oz means the 5 oz weight, not the 4+1 or 3+2.

I have found the 5 oz to be good on my rifle, and have also tried the other variations of 5 oz, but saw no gain.

I don't know if simpler is better, but it seems that way.

I replaced a Harrell with one a month or so ago. Since I knew about what weight I needed it was a 15 minute and 1 box of ammo ( 1/3 of each of three boxes with different speeds) job. Better than a Harrell? I can't say. It is easier to clean because all the crud stays inside the bloop tube. Testing six revolutions per weight is much easier than 500 clicks per weight. Cannot say it has improved accuracy over the Harrell that was on the rifle. Cannot say it has not improved either. bob finger

I have found that there is a big difference between 3oz, 2oz, 1oz as to 5oz, and 1oz. always go heaviest first as the length also affects tuning and I have found mixing aluminum and steel is not the best. are you having a reverse taper on your new barrel as that also will have an affect.

mr. nobody,
Not very hard at all. Here's what I do.

I start with the bare tuner and bloop tube. Focus ring set at 3 rev's from the front, shoot two three shot groups check the vercital

Add once 1oz shoot two more three shot groups

I'll keep adding one oz to the stack until i see the vertical get to it's smallest size and then start to grow larger again.

Then I will go back to the weight that showed the least vertical in it.
Try the 1/2oz on either side of the best weight. ie.. if the 3oz worked the best I will try 2 1/2 & 3 1/2 if either shows less vertical I will us that.

From there I will start working with adjusting the focus ring. Again using two three shot groups, i will start at 0 and go through the six rev's to see which showed the least vertical. Then you can really fine tune from there.

I'm usually done in less then two boxes of ammo.

Beau,
The different materials used for the weights came about from the need for the 1/2oz weight. trying to make a weight that light in stainless.... well lets just say the aluminum worked well for it. I had heard the same thing that the position of the 1oz in the stack could make a difference. but in my testing nothing definitive was ever found.

Bob,
Have you tried a lighter weight on that rifle yet?

Best,

Roger

Roger: Yes I did try less (and more)weight and also tested changing order of the weights. I wound up with same weight configuration as it was when I shot at Factoryville, but with focus at 4 turns rather than at 3. Total it weighs 15.5 oz. I was real close when up there!. The old 37 is now my best shooter. Not bad for a 60 year old barrel. Thanks. bob finger

RvA Tuner

I bought one about 2 months ago and it was very simple to tune. I didn't have a clue, so I proceeded to tune just as Roger is describing. It seemed just a logical way to go about it. I watched the vertical until it got to nill and then started to increase, then back to it's nill point again. I was shooting 3 shot groups for every weight I tried. I then turned the collar till I had 3 shot groups into one single hole. All in about 30 min's, then tried 4 different speeds of ammo with same results. The results are great and ended up with about 1.5 oz less weight on the end of the barrel. This winter I'll play some more with it inside a warehouse to see if it can get it any better. Till then It is locked in place to finish the season out. I believe in trying to find the weight the barrel wants, even though with added weight you can still find a good or great tune point. With other tuners your already at a heavier point, the RvA lets you build to a great tune little by little.

Last edited:
Back