Vfd for lathe

brandonmays

Can somebody recommend a cheaper vfd for a Powermatic model 90 lathe. It has a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor on it? A friend of mine recommended Hitachi but I thought that was pricey. I was hoping for something less expensive.

I have used Teco, Huanyang and Hitachi. True, the Hitachi is pricey, I find nothing wrong with the either the Teco and Huanyang. These could be found on eBay fairly inexpensive.

I've heard negative comments on Chinese built VFDs on eBay. Is there any support in the US for drives purchased on eBay?

I've heard negative comments on Chinese built VFDs on eBay. Is there any support in the US for drives purchased on eBay?

TECO support used to be in Round Rock, TX. I called them once when I had a 115V 1P to 220 3P unit to ask about the VFD braking feature.

I don't know what kind of support you are looking for but the various machinists forums are my go-to's for answers when I run into a problem that I can't figure out. If you expect to be able to reach an American tech on the phone, lotsa luck with that no matter which brand of VFD you buy.

I recently purchased a Huan Yang on the 'bay, it works decent but does not appear to support an external braking resistor even though the terminals are there for one. I have since learned (from CNCzone, Practical Machinist, and other forums) that this is a common problem with the ebay Huan Yangs. Even without an external resistor the Huan Yang is still a decent VFD and worth considering if you are on a tight budget.

Otherwise, just about any brand of VFD will work once set up properly, which can take a while because the set up on every brand is a little different and the manuals are usually written in Chinglish.

Back