Vertical stringing

FilippoMo

I would like to know what are the possible causes of vertical stringing and remedial
action.
Sincerely
Filippo

I would like to know what are the possible causes of vertical stringing and remedial
action.
Sincerely
Filippo

Sorry you will have to find another site to ask your question. This site is all about Rifle Clubs and Rimfire Match results. Nothing but cheerleaders up in here. Jack C

Sorry you will have to find another site to ask your question. This site is all about Rifle Clubs and Rimfire Match results. Nothing but cheerleaders up in here. Jack C

Boy, that was helpful. Could be ammo, are you getting the same results with other lots and brands? How is your rest? Are you shooting free recoil, or holding the rifle?

Boy, that was helpful. Could be ammo, are you getting the same results with other lots and brands? How is your rest? Are you shooting free recoil, or holding the rifle?
Yes I will get stringing no matter what ammunition I use.I did not test any Lapua.It is and old Wichita with Sinclair top.Tried both technique free recoil seems better but still verticals.
Thanks
Filippo

Are you using a tuner? You may need to retune. Is the rifle bedded?

Check for barrel stock contact under the barrel. Loose or shifting bedding.
Heck, it might not even be the rifle, the scope internals could be loose, or even parallax.
And yeah, it could be harmonics and a tuner would help. Lots of possible sources.

Great help there Jack, keep up the good work.

You're question probably cannot be answered within the context of this forum. Could be rest, technique, stock, bedding, ignition, bedding, bad flag reading, take your pick

Check out www.6mmbr.com and scroll through the articles and you will find an extensive write-up about vertical stringing and the cures. Keep in mind there are numerous causes as well as numerour fixes. Hope this helps more than the snobbed-nosed response you got from Jack C.

Check out www.6mmbr.com and scroll through the articles and you will find an extensive write-up about vertical stringing and the cures. Keep in mind there are numerous causes as well as numerour fixes. Hope this helps more than the snobbed-nosed response you got from Jack C.

I said nothing but scores and cheerleaders here at BC and he would have to check another site for an answer... well DS your answer was another site, www.6mmbr.com!! How funny is that!~ Jack C

While this may apply to centerfire his question was asked on a RIMFIRE forum................and I try to shoot both.

Jack: Take a look at the home page of this website and see what it says under the link to forums, then go back and read your response to the original post. Good job, huh? You really went out of your way to make him feel welcome. For all practical purposes, you told him to take a hike and pester someone else. Again, a snobby reply by you.

True, I refered to a centerfire site, but many of the stringing problems stated will also apply to rimfire. For the most part, it really doesn't matter where the firing pin strikes. Many of the results are the same and the some of the information stated could have been of benefit to him. At least I tried to steer him to where he may find some help.

Sorry, Jack, but you blew it. No response from you would have been better than what you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack: Take a look at the home page of this website and see what it says under the link to forums, then go back and read your response to the original post. Good job, huh? You really went out of your way to make him feel welcome. For all practical purposes, you told him to take a hike and pester someone else. Again, a snobby reply by you.

True, I refered to a centerfire site, but many of the stringing problems stated will also apply to rimfire. For the most part, it really doesn't matter where the firing pin strikes. Many of the results are the same and the some of the information stated could have been of benefit to him. At least I tried to steer him to where he may find some help.

Sorry, Jack, but you blew it. No response from you would have been better than what you posted.

Dupont Spinner i will have to agree 110% with everything you said except for one tiny thing, the post I made was not for Filippo. Jack C

Well, now you've got me stumped. You are the first responder, right after Filippo's question. You even quoted his question; and now you say your post was not for him??? Well...I've said what I wanted to say. Let's let put it to sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had the same thing happen to me I am shooting a old 54 action with a new barrel the last match
my scores were down quite a bit. I replaced the fireing pin spring thinking this could be the problem
went to the range early this morning when the wind was calm was still getting some verticlal stringing
clean the gun when I undid the bungie cord I notice the trigger guard was loose the rear action screw
was loose I had torque them both at 27 pounds how it came loose I don't know. Tighten it back up
started shooting again had to adjust the scope again but no more vertical.
Ready for the next match

JAKirk

JAKirk, If you are using an original stock, quite possibly what you have run across is humidity affecting the stock. Or in the case of other types and solid wood also just plain old compression over time. Bedding can & will breakdown over time also, so you have a little investigating to do.

Thanks for the reply, the stock is Mcmillian and it is piller bedded this has happen to me twice,
yesterday when I found out it was loose I tighten it down with a allen wrench. If it does it again I will
use blue lock tight on it.

JK

Flippo, I don't know if you are useing a tuner or not. If you are, the vertical stringing could be telling you that you may have to move the tuner out until this condition disappears

Yes I have a mid barrel tuner but even though I moved it in steps it is now againt the stocks and cannot be moved further.It did help to shrink the vertical dispersion that was very bad.I will try many of the suggestion next week end and see how it will perform.The stock is torqued within factory specs anschuetz 6 Newton.I had replaced both firing pin springs and did not help.
Thank you to all respondents,I knew that was next to impossible to diagnose my problem:at least now I have a few procedures to follow
sincerely
Filippo

Back