1111 FPS

10. ELEY TENEX 1052 FPS 0.6104 1.2084
1066 FPS 0.6814 1.4264
1074 FPS 0.5412 1.2210
1061 FPS 0.4982 1.1566
1095 FPS

These are the velocities after a further one inch was cut off.[/quote]

Butch,

Could you please give a little more detail? I can't figure out what these numbers mean.

Many have posted in the past that a rimfire burns all it's powder at about 17-18 inches. down the barrel, and the bullet coasts e.g. slows down. If this barrel was 24+ inches and they cut it one inch at a time this tells a very different story.

Please provide what information you can. Thanks!

TKH

Tony, All I can provide is the rifle is a stock CZ452. The shooter is the owner of the Accurate Reloading forum and is a very wealthy person. Saeed is a very serious hunter around the World. Dwight Scott is his gunsmith. He knew the test needed to be from a variety of ammo and all the same lot for each type. The first number beside the ammo is the starting velocity of the full length factory barrel. After it is chronographed an inch was cut off and crowned and shot again. Each velocity in number descending is the velocity of the shorter barrel. I believe the bottom number under each type of ammo is after it reached 20.25" I think. Saeed wil be in Canada for a couple weeks, so the test is on hold until he returns.
I will try to answer more of your questions if I can.

The two additional numbers after the muzzle velocity are the group sizes at 50 and 100yds respectively.
The information was gleaned from the Accurate Reloading forum.

Bob

So how was the accuracy during these tests? Did it improve or was it a disaster?

Remember the group sizes are 5-10 shot groups average. Each velocity is the average of 5-10 shot groups. Saeed is shooting 50 rounds for each type ammo for each inch that he is trimming. He is right in thinking that a lot of groups from the same lot of ammo is the only way to really have a good test. I believe he said that he would need 1800 rounds of each type ammo from the same lot for the test to be effective. I wish he had measured all of the groups.
The CZ452 factory rifle is a good tincan shooter, but not a BR rifle.

From the forum.

posted Jan 16, 9:45 AM Hide Post
Yes, I never realized how much shooting this is going to require!!?

The rifle has a 24.75 inch barrel.

My intention is to cut 18 inches off in one inch increments!

Shooting will be 5, 10-shot groups.

I have removed the open sights.

I have adjusted the trigger, and installed a Bushnell 6-24X scope on it.

I am going to check my ammo store and select the ammo. It seems I would need 1,800 of each type for the test!!!?

Hopefully this answers more of your questions.

quite some time ago this same style test was run it was published in either Shooting Times or the American rifleman ( somewhere in the early 80's. Increments were one inch. It was controlled enough that Anshutz repeated it in their facilities. Upshot was that around 19-20 inches gave the optimum velocity and "accuracy" deemed acceptable to their standards at that time. There were a series of rifles produced with barrels in this length and a sight tube on the end( bloop tube was the common name in referance to the sound) the tube was there only to extend the sight radius for Irons so the clicks were the same as before ( although many other ideas were ascribed to the tube- they were not tuners nor there to keep wind deflection to a minimum at the time of projectile exiting the barrel). One little tidbit, Annie barrels are slightly choked. Many Annie barrels were promptly wacked off ( but forgetting the slight choke) so the response a bit later was that it was so much black magic. I have an acquaintance that did that and bitched about it forever afterwards. At the time I had a very rough 52c- bull barrel that had been unkindly treated- the barrel was shortened to 20" restocked and a Canjar LP trigger installed it became my heavy siilly-wet gun and still is. Putting it back in the original prone stock it would produce 100- mutiple x count on the A36 target @ 50 ft or at 50 yards outdoors, providing of course that this operator did his part. Primary ammo feed to this rifle was Elely Practice 100 , Club, or RWS Match it also did well with CCI standard of that vintage.

Last edited:
quite some time ago this same style test was run it was published in either Shooting Times or the American rifleman ( somewhere in the early 80's. Increments were one inch. It was controlled enough that Anshutz repeated it in their facilities. Upshot was that around 19-20 inches gave the optimum velocity and "accuracy" deemed acceptable to their standards at that time. There were a series of rifles produced with barrels in this length and a sight tube on the end( bloop tube was the common name in referance to the sound) the tube was there only to extend the sight radius for Irons so the clicks were the same as before ( although many other ideas were ascribed to the tube- they were not tuners nor there to keep wind deflection to a minimum at the time of projectile exiting the barrel). One little tidbit, Annie barrels are slightly choked. Many Annie barrels were promptly wacked off ( but forgetting the slight choke) so the response a bit later was that it was so much black magic. I have an acquaintance that did that and bitched about it forever afterwards. At the time I had a very rough 52c- bull barrel that had been unkindly treated- the barrel was shortened to 20" restocked and a Canjar LP trigger installed it became my heavy siilly-wet gun and still is. Putting it back in the original prone stock it would produce 100- mutiple x count on the A36 target @ 50 ft or at 50 yards outdoors, providing of course that this operator did his part. Primary ammo feed to this rifle was Elely Practice 100 , Club, or RWS Match it also did well with CCI standard of that vintage.

There is one correction/addition I would offer.
A lot of the Anschutz work resulted in the first generation on the 2007 series actions and back then a very desirable feature was the barrel clamping that afforded one to reset headspace, back when rims were all over and everybody had rim thickness guages and sorted rims.
This was all published as a cover story in the old Precision Shooting with testing done by a couple California guys that brought in the first 8-10 of those barreled actions.
I was able to buy one of those first 2007 barreled actions and they did, indeed have very short barrels, on the order of 20".
It also came with a bloop tube. It was slotted and the CM barrel had a small pin about an inch behind the muzzle, the bloop seated on this and then clamped much the same as today's devices.
It did not have any other points, grooves, screws, of any kind to mount sights, and was noticably shorter and considerably heavier than anything that now supports sights.
I can only deduce that this first generation device was supplied only as a tuner with no other use and never heard anything in regard to further production 2007's ever including such a piece of equipment.
It was somewhat useful, however, I mostly shot this with an additional tuner developed back in the 50's-60's by a well known prone guy whose name I long since forgot.
It involved an adhesive backed tape you mounted on your barrel and then a very strong ceramic magnet between two iron plates that went on the barrel.
The theory was that once you attached it a set distance from the action, you could then rotate it's position on the barrel axis. You could, by doing this, move groups around on paper a good 1/2"-3/4" from previous print. Soon thereafter the Time units and the Hoehn 4000's came out.

which is more important

Choke or Twist rate? I can measure Groove dia. with a Diatest split ball indicator that measures in tenths. The tightest place in the muzzle and the round place is easy. Head space with a clamped barrel doesn't amount to much with ignition like STILLERS 2500x. Twist rate makes or breaks a great rimfire barrel. You can make washers out of a barrel and the only thing you will get is a lot of pieces. A cz isn't much of a platform.

Gordon,
Saeed has a couple or 10 accurate BR type rimfire rifles. He is just doing a comparison test of velocity of a barrel as it is shortened only. He is going to measure the muzzle blast (sound) also. It is a playtoy thing for him, but he tries to have certain controls to make his test information accurate. He has used Bleiker, Walther, and Anschutz factory rifles to test ammo for speed and accuracy. Fortunately Saeed has plenty of funds to play as he likes and some of his tests are fun to follow even if it may mean nothing to you.

If he has all the funds that you keep touting. Why in hell would he use a CZ. Makes one wonder.

He has always played with all kinds of stuff like this. Apparantly interested in anything that goes bang and time to do whatever.
His facility in the desert is like disneyland, and apparrantly a heart of gold, used to take two gunsmiths from the USA on African Safari for like 3-4 weeks, and I mean Safari. One year I have no idea how many of the big 5 they shot but it involved something like 5 elephants alone at about $150,000 a pop. One of the guys got bit, got denge fever, and he had him picked up and sent back for proper treatment. Very generous guy.
Gordon, we gotta find friends like this.

Last edited:
tim

bobbing a CZ barrel one inch at a time is meaningless. This is a benchrest accuracy forum. Where you may get all soft and fuzzy about how much money he may have. A CZ is still a poor platform for a test of any kind of accuracy. S&it Barrel,S&it Trigger,S&it ignition. Hope you get to go on one of those big money hunts.

No offense to Saeed because I greatly admire those that attempt to test and gather data that may be helpful, but I've followed his testing for many years and looked at the data he's presented numerous times on various subjects, and it doesn't usually take me long to realize there are more problems with his methodology than I'm willing to explain or devote to a forum post.

In this particular test, if he's only using 5 rds to gather velocity data, as he reported, the usual outcome is a mish-mash of confusing results that make no sense and can't be statistically analyzed successfully because it bears no resemblance to the same testing I and many others have done over the years when investigating the same matter using sample sizes that "will" give repeatable results.

It also doesn't help that I see at least one typo (Eley Contact showing an increase in V from 1071 fps to 1976 fps) when the barrel was shortened from 21.75" to 20.75"!
It don't take any special smarts to see that's impossible! LOL

I've posted a summation of sorts below that may be easier to comprehend if this thread continues, and it also illustrates some numbers that can't possibly be correct because they show both V's increasing and decreasing with the length of the barrel.

Being really anal about collecting quality data, I and most others of my ilk will use a minimum of 50-shot samples in gathering velocity data....not 5!
Fact is we don't even know if he threw out the 1st rd fired with every 5-shot string, and if he didn't....that 1st rd would totally screw the V stats!

50-shot samples may be overkill, and not practical for say CF, but like I said, I'm obsessed with this stuff and I want it to stand up to peer review and the usual criticism of so called internet expurts.

2018-02-05_1859_02

Let's also touch on what Tony posted in this thread because it's something I've seen mentioned more times than I can count.

Tony posted this:
"Hence many believe a longer barrel on a rimfire allows the bullet to coast and stabilize its velocity, and that perhaps, makes the barrel less sensitive to ammo variance."

Sorry Tony, but it's highly possible it's just the opposite.
As friction becomes a more dominant/significant factor from about 6" barrels on, friction robs the bullet of a given amount of energy per unit length travelled up the barrel. But, the energy of the bullet goes as the velocity squared, so slower bullets will slow down quicker than faster bullets. This will lead to an increase in the V SD and V ES as the barrel lengthens.

So, should we all use the shortest barrels possible to enhance this advantage?
I don't know for certain because there's another factor that may dramatically affect the results one way or another.
Among the small community I collaborate and share data with privately, we've had several discussions concerning muzzle pressure and how it affects precision.
It boils down to gaining an advantage with shorter barrels in RFBR, but possibly giving it back because the increased muzzle pressure (Transitional Ballistics) with shorter barrels may cause an unknown adverse effect on precision.

Let me know what happens when you campaign a 6" barrel on your rifle this next year. LOL

A dumb but very curious farmer,
Landy

Last edited:
Back