Varmint Hunters/Callers

Apollo

Jason Stanley
Not sure if this qualifies for "Benchrest" but a lot of Benchshooters either still do or have come from varmint hunting. I understand if this thread gets deleted. I thought I could use your experience and only spend my money once. (I'm pretty good at spending it twice)

I am in want of a new electronic caller. I currently have an old Johnny Stewart that takes the little "cards". Still works, but am just wanting something a little better.

I would like one that has a remote (no wires) and also has a rechargeable battery (kind of like a cordless drill type) Any hints on what type/places to start doing my research before buying? Thanks in advance.

Stanley

Last edited:
Not sure if this qualifies for "Benchrest" but a lot of Benchshooters either still do or have come from varmint hunting. I understand if this thread gets deleted. I thought I could use your experience and only spend my money once. (I'm pretty good at spending it twice)

I am in want of a new electronic caller. I currently have an old Johnny Stewart that takes the little "cards". Still works, but am just wanting something a little better.

I would like one that has a remote (no wires) and also has a rechargeable battery (kind of like a cordless drill type) Any hints on what type/places to start doing my research before buying? Thanks in advance.

Stanley

I have a Foxpro Spitfire, one of the cheapest and it works accordingly. Quite a bit of distortion at the louder volumes. Also the remote is somewhat
contankerous. Occasionly have unplug the battery to get it to work, not good if you have a critter on approach.

I hunt in some wide open areas and would like more volume.

Les

I like my older FOXPRO. If I was in the market for a new one, I'd likely opt for the FOXPRO Wildfire 2 with the recharging kit.

Good shootin'. -Al

I would rather shoot them than do a lot of hiking and looking for um. I usually use a mouth call to get em in closer.
By the time you shoot one at say 3/5 hundred yards and find it a lot of time has expired.

Attachments

• 01450003.JPG
    01450003.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 318
No gas and not slidin off the roof. It was about 10* that morning, after shooting 23 coyotes that night and driving 250 miles to our first stand.
I was feeling about as rough as I look. One of our more productive hunts.

See Ya, Les

I have used the Fox pro FX3 FX5 and the Wildfire with good results . They also work great for setting them under a snag and luring crows in for a shot.

Thanks for the replies and info. Because of your info and others, I've narrowed my choices down to one of the newer FoxPros or the Primos Alpha Dog. The Alpha Dog is my leading choice but I'm worried about the batteries. Looks like it takes 11 AA batteries. Geez. That seems like a lot. SG - how is the battery life on the Alpha Dog? I looked, but could not find any rechargeable packs for the Alpha Dog like there are for the Fox Pro's. Have you heard of any? Thanks again for all your replies. 23 coyotes in one night? Holy smokes.

Stanley

Check over on the preditormaster forum for write ups on different call.

Fox Pro has super customer service.

Hal

I have an older Fox Pro and a Primos Alpha Dogg. I am disapointed in the quality of the sounds that came with the Primos. I have yet to figure how to upload my own sounds. The sounds with the older Foxpro are much better. The Primos has some hunt sequences done by Randy Anderson that are pretty good but the individual sounds just sound amateurish. If I can't figure how to upload some sounds I like, I'll likely end up with another Fox Pro.

Scott

Thanks guys for all the replies. After much thought and phone discussions I've ordered the Fox Pro Wild Fire 2.

Stanley

Back