Valmet "Standard"

Calfed

I glommed this .22 match rifle at the auction today. Anyone familiar with Valmet .22 match rifles?

Finnlion1.jpg

Finnlion2-1.jpg

Finnlion6-1.jpg

Finnlion4-1.jpg

Finnlion3-1.jpg

It needs a rear sight or I'll have to have some kind of mounting block machined for a Redfield rear micrometer sight

I have one of the Finnish Lion Position Rifles. The side dovetail for the Parker Hale (I think) rear sight is a work of art compared to the screw on sight blocks. Mine shoots pretty good groups and the trigger is great when you consider the age of the rifle. You will enjoy shooting your new toy!

Mine has a built in dovetail for use with Anschutz type receiver sights or scope. Most I have seen are like yours.

It looks like you need a Valmet rear sight because the rear sight clamping screw is in place. Your receiver should be cut for that sight. I might think a Redfield flat sided base for a BSA could be machined to fit and then use the Redfields.

bjm

Thanks for the information, guys. I got a chance to see the rifle before it went into the FFL's safe for the obligatory "10 day cooling off" period. Bore and metal were fine, stock may need some attention.

Also, the sights I got on Ebay arrived from Sweden today

Two sets, a bit different, but look like either would work:
Sight#1
sightpics002-1.jpg
sightpics014-1.jpg
sightpics012-1.jpg
sightpics011-1.jpg

Sight#2
sightpics003-1.jpg
sightpics009-1.jpg
sightpics007-1.jpg
sightpics006-1.jpg