using a 12 twist barrel

R

rdsii64

I know that a 12 twist barrel isn't anyone's first choice for competition shooting with a .223 caliber rifle, but for now I gotta run what I got. Assuming I have the necessary marksmanship skill, if I launch a 55 grain bullet out of a 24 inch 12 twist barrel at 3200 FPS, can I reach 500 yards with enough stability to hit what I aim at?

Your biggest concern is going to be the wind... far above and beyond any theoretical stability issues. Should be supersonic out past 600yds at least (assuming Berger 55gr @ 3200, just for a guesstimate). One guy I know has a stock Rem700 SPS with a slow twist barrel... he shoots some 500 & 600yd matches using it; last fall he was using 55gr Hornady bullets IIRC, and this year he's been trying Berger 64gr pills - supposed to have a marginally higher BC, but from what he told me, he's not seeing a lot of benefit. Not too surprising, as 'better' BC with those kind of bullets isn't much.

My advice - stop asking questions about whether it'll work or not, and go shoot it. It'll work well enough to get your feet wet. May end up a good long ways down in the match results, but if you're there to have fun and learn, who cares? If and when you really get the bug, then start figuring out what you need to be more competitive - and start saving for it. In the mean time, the best thing you can do to become more competitive is get out and shoot!

YMMV,

Monte

there is nothing wrong with asking questions!! thats what a forum is supposed to be about. the 12 twist isnt a good choice to be competitive but like said, it is fine for getting your feet wet. Shoot and have fun!! And just remember 99% of us are there for fun, 1% may become a world champion.

12 twist

it should stablize a 60 grain balistic tip . not a lot better in the wind . but better.

Assuming I have the necessary marksmanship skill, if I launch a 55 grain bullet out of a 24 inch 12 twist barrel at 3200 FPS, can I reach 500 yards with enough stability to hit what I aim at?

First, you need to ascertain whether that load is accurate at short range, i.e. 100y. If it's accurate enough, and has the ballistics to stay supersonic at 500y, then go for it. Wind reading is likely going to be a challenge.

If you're planning on shooting flies at 500y, I don't know that any rifle is going to be ideal.

My Partners uses a 1:12 twist in her 223 Remington. We looked at 55gr bullets, but found they moved around a lot. We've ended up using a 60gr flat base with some success. Powders were quite interesting; we tried 26.5grs BL-C2 for a season. But due to me using a 308, I decided to cut down on powders and have found 27.2grs Varget is a sweat load. 300 to 600yds this rifle is quite competitive on the average day. It’s also a tack driver at a 100yds with 5 shot groups around .3.

Just remember this is a overload and you should be careful when working up to this load.

John

12 Twist

rdsii64 I am looking for a 12 twist barrel if you are considering buying a faster twist send me a pm maybe I will buy your 12 twist.

I have a 22-250 1x12 that at 220yds 3rnds in .009Inches. Hard to believe but true. My point the 1x12 shoots 55gr fmjbt with lazer accuracy at 100-300yds. Longer ranges Ballistics and Bullet weight come in to play. Wind drift and bullet drop are major factors not doubling but exponential growth of effect on shot placement. I broke the barrel in with reduced loads 2600fps and Hornady amax. Tried 64grain winchesters but the 75gr Hdy amax and 55gr FMJ group incredibly contrary to the Greenhill and Sierra Modified GreenHill formulas recomendations.

Try 23.5gr Varget 75gr Hdy Amax Federal Brass CCI 400 Primers. See if they work in your combination. Your gun might like slightly above or below this load but its a good start.

55grains Try Benchmark powder start 23grains and work to best groups.

Back