Twist rate selection in .223

R

Rock63

I'm trying to narrow down my selection of a mid range rifle in .223 based upon the Remington 700 receiver. Thus far I'm narrowed down to the following:

700P 9" twist, 26" blued barrel
700VSF 12" twist, 26" fluted blued barrel
700VSSFII 12" twist, 26" fluted stainless barrel, cut flutes are blacked

These were selected because of the full aluminum block bedding and the tight accuracy out of the box. All are synthetic stocks, and the receiver is tapped for scope mounting.

My problem: What is the ideal twist rate for .223?

I hope to shoot 100-500 yards on paper targets with this rifle.

It really just depends on what kind of bullets you want to shoot. The 1-9" twist barrel will stabalize up to a 69gr. bullet. The 1-12" twists normally do about a 55gr. bullet and lower. I've had a lot of 223s with a 1-9" twist, and I've had a lot of good luck as far as accuracy goes. I've had a couple with 1-12" twists, and they shot ok to pretty good. You get a lil more velocity with the lighter bullets and slower twist. Pick your poison. lol. They will both prolly give you what you are looking for. It's just a matter of bullets. Just a thought.

Matthew S Keller

Twist rate on Rem 700 223

I have a 700VLS with 1 in 12 with a 26" brl and a New 700Tacticle with a
1 in 9 20" brl. They both shoot very well as far as hunting accuracy goes. About 1.5" group at 200yds. But like the other fella said bullet weight is the key. I tend to reverse engineer my guns. That is pick what I am hunting, then what I want the bullet to do. Then what bullet will do it. Then what guns will shoot that bullet.

Old Timer :D

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 22-250, I have a 9 twist barrel, and in my limited testing so far, Ive been able to shoot 75 grain bergers pretty well at 100, 2-500 is in the coming soon. However, a friend of mine has a 9 twist in the .223, and he couldnt stabilize the 75grainers. Which is why hes buying a new barrell in the 7 or 8 twist, cant remember what he said now. He wants to shoot heavy bullets. The high end .224 caliber stuff has a bc in the .500s!

There is no way I would get a 1-12 twist 223. A 1-9 would be ok, but 1-8 or 1-7 would be much preferred in a bolt gun.

If you want to shoot to 500 yards go with the 1 in 9" twist. I've got a Savage .223 with a 9" twist and it stabilizes 75 gr Hornady HPBT's. A 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist will work better with heavier bullets and as well with 69's and 75's, but unless you have the rifle rebarrelled you can't get that in a factory bolt action Remington.

The problem with the long heavy bullets (75 to 80 gr) in the .223 is that they have to be seated long for an optimum load although the 75's can be loaded to magazine length. A fast twist that suits the long heavy bullets might also make some lighter bullets come apart unless they've got pretty stiff jackets.

It's all a compromise. If you only shoot bullets up to 55 gr the 1 in 12 twist will work and they will work well to 300 yards. It's the last 200 yards you want that's the killer because the lighter bullets have lost their velocity edge and fall on their face. At 300 and out the heavier bullets win hands down.

Thus far I'm narrowed down to the following:

700P 9" twist, 26" blued barrel
700VSF 12" twist, 26" fluted blued barrel
700VSSFII 12" twist, 26" fluted stainless barrel, cut flutes are blacked

For the long range you mention I would pick the 1 in 9" 700P. I have the 20" 700LTR with the 1 in 9" and it shoots extremely well with 52 MK , 52 Berger , 55 Berger and 69 MK.

My 1 in 12" 700 SPS in HS stock has shown great results with the 52 MK and 55 Berger.

It depends on what you are going to shoot "at". For paper you can use the advice above because bullet expansion doesn't matter, but if you shoot at game, such as varmints you will need to shoot lighter bullets for clean kills, no ricochet, etc. A one in 12" will shoot 40, 50 and 55gr bullets but five hundred yards is a bit too far for a .223 to make clean kills in my opinion.

I have a 1-8 twist and it shoots 52, thru 80 berger vld very well. 52gr. sub 1/2 inch at 100, 80gr. bergers will clean a 300yd f-class target in moderate wind with a 8-10 x count. Look at the Tikka with a 1x8 twist for a factory rifle. My rifle is not a factory barrel but when it had the rem. 1-9 barrel it would stabilize the 75 gr. a-max but nothing larger.

Back