Twist Rate New Rem 260 CDL SF Limited

Saw that the other day. I'll bet those are some goofy numbers. It also states the rifle will have a 14" length of pull on the stock. Remington has NEVER put that much wood on a stock nor do I believe they are making a special stock.

In a couple of months as production starts it might be worth a call to Remington to verify.

Called Remington Today

I called Remington today and the gentleman I talked to could not explain it. He looked it up in the new catalog (where I had read it) and verified it was a 10 twist. The only thing he said was that the twist is determined by their engineers.

What's also interesting is that Remington added another loading for 260 and it's a 140 grain. That makes one 120 and three 140's. Hopefully the 10 twist will turn out to be a mistake/mis-print. And I'd agree the 14" LOP has to be a mis-print.

If nothing else I'm glad that Remington appears to be backing the 260 a little more. And if it turns out the 10 twist is wrong and it's actually an 8 (hopefully) or maybe a 9 I'll buy one of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remington Twist

I wouldn't trust Rem. to use any smarts to figure out things like twist. The Rem guy said that the engineer figured it out. Did you expect them to have a shooter set the twist?
I've got a varminter in .223 with a 14" twist that won't shoot light bullets because it has a about an inch of throat. A 40 grain bullet is still 1/2" from the lands when the bullet is seated 1/10th deep. I don't mind shooting 60 gr. bullets but I would rather do it with a 1 in 10 or 12.

260 twist

I should have added that I'm a 260 (or 6.5) nut also. Due to the twist problems and lack of factory rifles chambered for 260, I plan on building a rifle soon. Probably use a Ruger or Winchester action and Shillen barrel. Get what I want then.

Makes no sense at all. I have a 40x in 260 and its 1:9 and that is the way its its still listed at their web site. I wish it were 1:8 so I could use something heavier than a 108gr bullet.:confused:

My 700 Mtn 260 is a 9. This 10 twist has got to be a mistake. I'm going to check back with Remington after a couple of weeks to see if they're still saying it's a 10.

I too recently was considering rebarrelling a 700 to 260, contacted Shilen and was told for 140's and 120's the 8 twist would be best. If Remington is in fact using a 10 twist on this new rifle they're going to have to explain why. They'd be going against all the recommendations I've gotten from several custom barrel makers.

It may be that a 10 twist will be ok for hunting bullets but not target bullets.Twist rate is a determined by length of bullet not weight. Hunting bullets are shorter than target bullets with same weight because the target bullets have longer ogives and longer boattails. Maybe this is the reason for slower twist. I do know that a 9 twist is all that is required for 140vld bullets in a 6.5-284 at modrate temperatures. Only a cold day requires a faster twist of 8.5. The 10 twist may be ok for the 130gr and lighter target bullets such as JLK 130, Sierra 123, and Berger 130.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of a difference in hunting bullets and target bullets.

"I do know that a 9 twist is all that is required for 140vld bullets in a 6.5-284 at modrate temperatures."

If that also applies to the 260 rem why did Remington add a third 140 grain round to their 2008 260 ammo offerings? They now have one 120 and three 140's. It just doesn't make sense.

I have a M700 Mt. Rifle in .260 with the 1-9" twist. I have not tried the heavier bullets, but 100-130 gr. bullets are shooting 1 - 1 1/2" at 100 yds. Not real impressive, but the bedding job is horrible, I can feel the barrel move when I tighten the action screws. After a bedding job and probably a new barrel at 1-8" twist and opened up to .260 AI it will probably be a great rifle! For now, it hits mule deer like the hammer of God.
Selmerfan

Remington catalog corrected on the 260

I too saw the 1/10 thing and was puzzled because I ordered one and know 1/9 is standard for Remingtons 260. Sure enough I went back to check the specs this week and its been changed to 1-9" rifling.

Back