Turbo V-3 Upgrade --- Hot Off the Press

Anthony DiOrio V-3 new action developement - Lawrence Beasley

I have two of the new Gen II V-3's with a B&A on one and a Flavio Fare' on the other. Both work reliably and are set to break at .5 ounce.

I have two of the new Gen II V-3's with a B&A on one and a Flavio Fare' on the other. Both work reliably and are set to break at .5 ounce.

Anthony, Lawrence, you guys are right!

I know you guys already know but other readers may not. So, it is time I eat a little crow.

When I first tried the FF trigger it wouldn't work. Then after Anthony told me to turn the hangar around, I did, and it still didn't work.

Where I went wrong was when I installed the trigger, I just put it in and pushed it all the way forward. If I had moved it to the middle of the adjustment or used the bolt to locate (time) the trigger/hangar it would have worked.

I'm proud to announce my FF is working and my ignition with the crescent firing pin is right at .022 to .023 indentation. I'm going to shoot it here for a while but plan to reduce travel slightly to reduce firing pin strike. My firing pin fall is about .135. and my trigger breaks at 14 -15 grams.

All and all I'm a happy camper.

TKH

Checking your Turbo firing pin travel

Firing pin travel is the distance (D1) measured from the rear of the closed uncocked bolt while the bolt is held continuously to the rear. I use a piece of surgical tubing wrapped around the front of the bolt handle near the action and around the butt stock. The bolt handle should not move forward or aft. To find (D1) measure using a depth mic to find the distance from the rear bottom of the bolt to the rear of the tang.

Remove the surgical tubing and cock the action. Again with the depth mic find the dimension from the rear bottom of the bolt to the rear of the rear of the tang which is (D2). Subtract D2 from D1 and the difference is the actual firing pin travel.

Optimal pin travel for my V-3 Gen II appears to be close to .131” At .131” pin travel average case head penetration was .0228” (Eley ammo). Minimum penetration was .0224; maximum penetration was .0233 and extreme spread .0009.

Too soon to tell about spring life but through 1,600 rounds there is zero degradation.
Lawrence Beasley

Firing pin travel is the distance (D1) measured from the rear of the closed uncocked bolt while the bolt is held continuously to the rear. I use a piece of surgical tubing wrapped around the front of the bolt handle near the action and around the butt stock. The bolt handle should not move forward or aft. To find (D1) measure using a depth mic to find the distance from the rear bottom of the bolt to the rear of the tang.

Remove the surgical tubing and cock the action. Again with the depth mic find the dimension from the rear bottom of the bolt to the rear of the rear of the tang which is (D2). Subtract D2 from D1 and the difference is the actual firing pin travel.

Optimal pin travel for my V-3 Gen II appears to be close to .131” At .131” pin travel average case head penetration was .0228” (Eley ammo). Minimum penetration was .0224; maximum penetration was .0233 and extreme spread .0009.

Too soon to tell about spring life but through 1,600 rounds there is zero degradation.
Lawrence Beasley

Lawrence,

Mine is still the same. The spring has not lost any length or strength. I'm still shooting it without any modifications.

TKH

Having just picked up a V3 w/crescent pin & experiencing hard bolt lift this is the thread I was looking for.
I can only assume at this point that I have an early version w/o the change. Not real excited about spending another $600 but when have I ever bought once/cried once, lol.
Anthony, could you provide when the change took place after s/n ---?

Keith

Having just picked up a V3 w/crescent pin & experiencing hard bolt lift this is the thread I was looking for.
I can only assume at this point that I have an early version w/o the change. Not real excited about spending another $600 but when have I ever bought once/cried once, lol.
Anthony, could you provide when the change took place after s/n ---?

Keith
Keith,

The upgrade was implemented in March of 2023. The easiest way to tell if your V3 has the upgrade is to look at the firing pin slide and bolt handle. If your V3 has the upgrade, the firing pin slide will have a top lifting lobe and the bolt handle will have a lifiting cam on the top as well. If your receiver does not have the upgrade, your firing pin slide will have only one lifting lobe on the bottom. To recap; upgrade = dual lifting lobes and cams. Pre-upgrade = single lifting lobe and cam on bottom.

Best Regards, Anthony

Keith,

The upgrade was implemented in March of 2023. The easiest way to tell if your V3 has the upgrade is to look at the firing pin slide and bolt handle. If your V3 has the upgrade, the firing pin slide will have a top lifting lobe and the bolt handle will have a lifiting cam on the top as well. If your receiver does not have the upgrade, your firing pin slide will have only one lifting lobe on the bottom. To recap; upgrade = dual lifting lobes and cams. Pre-upgrade = single lifting lobe and cam on bottom.

Best Regards, Anthony
Thank you Anthony. It is one of the pre-upgrade actions. :(

Back