Turbo action...misfires now and then

Wilbur

cook and bottle washer
I've got a Turbo action that misfires on occasion...shoots pretty good but not good enough. The rifle was at one time a winner. Two questions:

Could that be the reason it doesn't shoot really well?

How do I fix it?

What trigger does it have on it? The reason that I ask is that I have a trigger that had too much reset force for my 40X RF to work with. The firing pin spring was not strong enough to overcome the trigger's reset. I changed triggers and the problem was solved.

Wilbur, take the bolt apart & clean it. Turbo's I'm told are finicky that way. Might as well replace the spring. Get ahold of Jim Pepper if you can. He may have some. Flush the trigger out with lighter fluid & I'll bet your good to go.

Keith

Assuming that it was good at one time and no changes have been made, first clean all the accumulated lube out of the bolt, known problem, then measure case indent, if it's still poor replace the spring, they take a set, also known problem. If neither of those cures it then start looking for things like bent pin, drag on the trigger housing etc.

Dennis

Wilbur, is it a Flash action? They were known for inconsistant firing pin springs, costs little to swap it out after a complete interior bolt clean.

To ensure that we're talking the same thing, what I call fail to fire, I just went through the same issue and took me a while to find the fix. As mentioned you need to keep the internals of the bolt clean. I did that on a regular basis and changed the FP spring out yearly. What I found to be the problem with mine was I didn't have enough FP fall. It didn't have the trigger hanger where you could turn it around so I had to file it down and I added 30 thousands, moved the trigger back. Problem solved. Now the mystery is this rifle didn't start exhibiting the problem until after 7 years. One other thing is to check the firing pin for Flashes older pins were soft and could mushroom and exhibit the same issue. I replaced mine years ago with a harder steel tip. Good luck hope you find the problem.

Les

I'd add, given Les' experience, if you don't want to mess with your hangar, folks like BAT offer, I believe, hangars with three timing options to try......pretty cheap to swap one out and see what you get.

Thanks guys! I've now got a plan and hope it works. I don't think anything will keep me from losing but having to go off target once, maybe twice, during each target seems to goof me up. Invariably, if I shoot a couple dead in the middle....here comes the misfire.

Another question, somewhat goofy as well....Do y'all think a misfire should be re-shot on the record target? I don't think so but don't have much to go on there.

I tried shooting some for record without much success when I had a problem with the trigger. . As others have said clean the trigger good. Mr Wilbur have you or others noticed that the firing pin springs do not last a long time?

I'll have to leave your question for others as I don't know. All I know is to buy a good shootin' rifle and shoot it until it quits...then try to fix it. :) When I get the trigger fixed, I'll know if it shoots better and will try to remember to post.

That "buy a good shootin' rifle" thing seems to have saved me a good deal of money and a ton of grief over the years I was a competitor. It costs more to begin with but over time it pays for itself...and you win a few matches that you might not have won otherwise.

Absolutely. Buy the best you can possibly afford. You come out ahead in the long run. Wish I would have known that from the beginning. Please follow up and let us know what happens.

"Another question, somewhat goofy as well....Do y'all think a misfire should be re-shot on the record target? I don't think so but don't have much to go on there."

Last year at the ARA Texas State Tournament my rifle was failing to fire about every 3rd shot. With conditions and due to time I was shooting many of these FTF rounds for score. I won the tournament so not saying it doesn't affect the accuracy but I beat some better good folks that day.

Les

Yes it is...at least I think it is.

AND...thanks Lee! I suppose if I can't get the trigger fixed I'll try to shoot the misfires on record and see what happens.

Last edited:
Wilbur,
Pickup your brass and look for light hits. If one does not fire check it for a light hit.
Look for differences between the impression of the firing pin.
It would not surprise me that your bolt interior and firing pin are dirty.
Doug

I think it's fixed! Shot a whole target without a misfire. The bolt is a bit more difficult to operate and I didn't shoot well but there are other factors involved....didn't set flags, bore was dirty, I had been awake for 24+ hours, etc....

Quit and went home after one target...had a wreck on the way. Wasn't a good day at all...with the exception of getting my bolt fixed.

Back