Tuning fork sound after shot is fired???

T

tantor

I went to the range yesterday to rezero my Stevens .270, put on a new scope. After each shot I would hear what sounded like a tuning fork noise when looking through the scope to see shot placement.

Any idea what this could be??:confused:

I do have a recoil pad on it along with a neopren wrap for a cheek piece.

tuning fork

sounds crazy but I have the same thing in an 11-87 12ga. shotgun shooting sabots.... friends say it sounds like a spring unwinding....call me crazy but I believe it`s caused by barrel harmonics....... :-(

The only time I've ever heard anything like this is on a range with steel pipes supporting the roof over the firing line. Sounds like someone's smacked 'em with a 2x4.

tuning fork

mine was noticed by my buddy in a hunting situation,across an open marsh...????? The more open the area the more predominant it is...????... :-(

My only real "hummer" was a Number 1V in .25-'06. Shooting off of a solid bench, outside, would result in several seconds of vibrations. You could really feel it with your cheek against the stock.

mine was noticed by my buddy in a hunting situation,across an open marsh...????? The more open the area the more predominant it is...????... :-(

A recoil spring in a semi-auto shotgun that somehow vibrates against something at just the right (wrong?) frequency might do it, but I still can't figure out how a bolt action rifle is going to do a tuning fork routine. Maybe a synthetic stock vibrating against the barrel?

We shot off of a bench near the back porch of my shop. I had about 20 pieces of 3 1/2" diameter steel tube, .060 wall, 20' long stored in the framing of the porch roof. Certain guns would make those pipes ring quite loudly after each shot. Had to be some kind of sympathetic vibration node. Maybe I should have put tuners on the steel tubes.

tuning fork

I have a rem 308 varmit that does the same thing. if you keep a hand on the barrel you can feel the (tuning fork effect) for about 2 sec. checked bedding,screw torque all good. shoots great its a good laugh for the non belivers.

Tuning Fork Sound

I seen a Model 70 Win. in 22-250 make that sound. Turned out the Center Action Screw was loose. After tighting the sound was gone.:)

I wouldn't worry about it if the gun shoots good and you know everything is tight!!! I have a Ruger mk2 target in 25-06 and it rings when you shoot it. It is the best shooting gun I have ever seen so I don't worry about it. It has done it for over ten years and has tons of rounds through it and still shoots phenominal. It seems the hotter the load I shoot in it the more it rings.

Riiiiiiiiing

I have a Win M70 varment that rings loudly with each shot. I think it is cool sound! I was told by someone (don't remember who) it was from it's being bedded in an aluminum block within the synthetic stock. I don't know if that is so or even if it is bedded that way but you've got me wondering and I am going do take it apart and see.

I too have a Ruger MkII Varmint in 22-250 that does that. I can hear the humm with ear muffs on after a shot. I've always assumed it was the free floated barrel vibrating though other rifles I have with free floating barrels don't do it. Hmmmm...........

Some of the things guys have been saying are true.

We do have metal posts on our benches and I checked and all of the screws and nuts are tight. It is pellar bedded and free floating all the way down the length of the barrel. I have noticed some other makes and models are not.

it is a neat sound but I hope nothing is wrong with the gun. It may have been happening for a while put haven't heard it before, there wasn't much wind and I was the only one at the range that day. Maybe alot of other gun types do this but we don't hear it when others are shooting. Don't really know I'm just trying to figure out what may be the cause, just don't want the thing blowing up in my face.

mine to

My 338 ultra does the ring thing to only in a choate sniper stock.My gun smith said it is from the aluminum bed.you could see marks in the aluminum bedding blocks,and the bolts where tight so he put a thin coat of accra glass in there and ring was gone.

It wouldn't help

You weren't by any chance wearing ear rings?

About five years ago we vere spotlighting. In 4WD Landcruiser. I couldn't be bothered to take a shot so I imbecile prompted my passanger companion to take the shot through the cabine from the other side (the passanger seat). The muzzle of his NO1. .243W Ruger was directly in front of my face about 150mm away when he fired the shot. I was sitting like an imbecile watching the muzzle and no muffs and not even thinking of putting fingers into my ears. I could hear nothing for the next ten minutes and my ears were ringing for the next three hours. The smart prick was wearing earmuffs.

Shoot well
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Back