Tungsten weights

D

Donald

Looking for weights for a heavy varmint. Anyone have any source for tungsten rounds about 3/4 to 1" in diameter, up to 6" or so in length. Without breaking the bank. Am using lead now but am about 1 lb short of weight and am out of room in the buttstock. TIA

Donald

Donald I used a piece of brass in the butt stock I know that isn't what you asked for but it might help if you can't find what you want

You can Google for tungsten metal

I did and found several sources. The one I looked at is http://www.torreyhillstech.com/mows...d hope and pray we all have a good '09. Glen

Donald

Looking for weights for a heavy varmint. Anyone have any source for tungsten rounds about 3/4 to 1" in diameter, up to 6" or so in length. Without breaking the bank. Am using lead now but am about 1 lb short of weight and am out of room in the buttstock. TIA

Donald

wouldn't it be cheaper to take some hollow brass or copper and pour moulten lead in then glue or insert in your butt stock?

Density or specific gravity

of the material is the problem if I'm reading the original post correctly. Apparently there is not enough volume in the buttstock to accomodate more weight. Hence, the density of the metal used must be increased.

Adding copper would reduce the weight. This is because its specific gravity (8.93) is less than that of lead (11.34). Tungsten's is 19.6. He could use platinum at 21.4, gold at 19.3, or depleted uranium at 18.9. :)

Donald did say, though, that he didn't want to break the bank.

Glen

If you're currently using round lead, you could use square aluminum tubing for a mold and pick up volume in the corners. Size for size, the square will be 21.46% heavier than the round.

-Dave-:)

Weight

Automotive machine shops where crankshaft balancing is done will have a tungston alloy called Mallory.

This stuff is very heavy but is hard to machine if you want to turn it to a certain diameter. It does work wonders for adding weight, though somewhat expensive.

Maybe you can get some from a shop or a buddy who has destroyed a crank for little or no cost or maybe an understanding shop owner. This where mine came from.

Donald ...

Looking for weights for a heavy varmint. Anyone have any source for tungsten rounds about 3/4 to 1" in diameter, up to 6" or so in length. Without breaking the bank. Am using lead now but am about 1 lb short of weight and am out of room in the buttstock. TIA Donald

I've been building golf clubs for over 25 years. We use Tungsten Powder and Weights for weighting clubs. Give Golfsmith and The GolfWorks a call: 1-800-456-3344 and 1-800-848-8358 respectively. Tell them your application and they should be able to suggest a workable solution. Speak to the folks in the components or club making area.

of the material is the problem if I'm reading the original post correctly. Apparently there is not enough volume in the buttstock to accomodate more weight. Hence, the density of the metal used must be increased.

Adding copper would reduce the weight. This is because its specific gravity (8.93) is less than that of lead (11.34). Tungsten's is 19.6. He could use platinum at 21.4, gold at 19.3, or depleted uranium at 18.9. :)

Donald did say, though, that he didn't want to break the bank.

Glen

Thanks for all the info. GlenO has it right. Lead is the most dense untll you get into the fancy stuff. I am using a 3/4 inch copper tube about 8-9 inch long poured full of melted lead. It weighs 19 plus oz. Saw some guys at Denton that were using the tungsten crank weights. I googled "tungsten" and found sources but :eek::eek:. THE COST. 1" round bar was $200+. Don't remember the length. Guess I will just have to dig out some more foam. Problem is that the farther forward I go into the butt the less effect it has on the very end. This gun has a rather heavy barrel on it, plus a tuner. Right now I am at 8# plus on the forend and about 4# on the butt. Got room for about another 1-1.5 lbs. The weight has to be removable so that when I change barrels it is a sporter/LV. Any other thoughs welcomed.

Donald

You might could use a stainless steel buttplate that is thick enough to add the desired weight. They are not the easiest thing to make without a cnc mill.

You might could use a stainless steel buttplate that is thick enough to add the desired weight. They are not the easiest thing to make without a cnc mill.
Or you could maybe cast a lead one. I have cast lead spacers for prone rifles needing more weight when they could stand the extra butt length. It's relatively easy to cut near the diamension out a piece of board the right thickness, fair up the cut with sandpaper or freehand routing, then add sides & drill a pouring hole one end.

For a non-centrefire shooter, it would seem that adding weight at the end would have more dowwnforce according to the theory of lever forces, but is there a good reason that it needs to be elsewhere?

A brass buttplate would add a good bit of weight, and be easy to machine (plus not too expensive). Use a clear finish to keep it looking nice and shiny.

Jim

Back