Trying to understand the Juenke!

a.JR

Hi all , I have for some years been shooting the 187 BIB 30 cal bullet, i have heard it said the you don't need to buy a Juenke comparator if you run the above bullet ,but i have only just recently got access to one to compare things .. At what stage ,considering i only shoot 600/1000yd bench, do i start using the bullets for barrel warmers / initial sighters??.. I have only done a hundred or so ,so far and one batch you could use the bullets to qualify the machine itself as they are in exactly the same spot on the dial and vary mostly 1 unit through to 2 units .. The other batch change a little on the dial position and vary up to 8 units with the majority at 4/5 units.. Since 2005 we have had a change in weather patterns and this makes doing any evaluation in small increments during an actual match impossibile .. So what i guess i'm saying is what parameters should i use in the short test n tune time available in regards to the Juenke .. All other bullet/case batching will remain the same except for another trial with meplat repointing..JR..Jeff Rogers

Hi Jeff,

Couple of things:

1. At some point, the number you get is a factor of how fast you spin the bullet. The needle has inertia, and fast-to-slow could be worth a full number. I never could find a cut-off point without correlating a number to shooting -- i.e., in my setup, such & such a deviation would show on target.

2. I finally moved to using the numbers to gauge bullets -- not the deviation, but the number itself. With the base stop set so the head was over the beginning of the meplat, you get a number. I'd keep batches that were within 5 of each other. What you're really measuring here is essentially the length of the shank. I guess you could turn the bullet around, & get a measurement of ogive variation as well.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I stopped doing any measurements with the BIBs. Too much like watching grass grow.

Hi Charles, As usual ,thanks for your input.. I will test shortly and have decided simply to try the best against the worst at 1000yds after a full mechanical qualification and just let the target do the talking..JR..Jeff Rogers
Hi Jeff,

Couple of things:

1. At some point, the number you get is a factor of how fast you spin the bullet. The needle has inertia, and fast-to-slow could be worth a full number. I never could find a cut-off point without correlating a number to shooting -- i.e., in my setup, such & such a deviation would show on target.

2. I finally moved to using the numbers to gauge bullets -- not the deviation, but the number itself. With the base stop set so the head was over the beginning of the meplat, you get a number. I'd keep batches that were within 5 of each other. What you're really measuring here is essentially the length of the shank. I guess you could turn the bullet around, & get a measurement of ogive variation as well.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I stopped doing any measurements with the BIBs. Too much like watching grass grow.

Hi Jeff,I just noticed a mistake in my post.

With the base stop set so the head was over the beginning of the meplat, you get a number.

I meant to say "beginning of the ogive" NOT "beginning of the meplat."

(Not to say there weren't other mistakes . . .)

BIBs

The consistancy on BIBs is the best you will find. I don't bother to measure them. I am sure there is some differance but the last time I measured the equipement I was using couldn't find much (less than .002 for the batch).

Back