Truing Remington actions

M

Macky Locklin

I have seen a reference to Jackie Schmidt having posted pictures of the truing process for Remington actions on this forum. However, I can't find the actual pictures, but mostly, I'm looking for someone to true several 40X rimfire actions for me rather than for me to see the pictures. Since I have no lathe and no precision mechanical skills, the pictures wouldn't help me much anyway except to make me further appreciate the talent of someone who knows what to do. I know there are many out there that can do the mechanical work, but I want to have someone do the job who truly knows how to true the action rather than simply make new threads, leaving the action in worse shape than before. Last one that I had done was done years ago by Bob Brackney, and it was top notch work. However, I think Bob is understandably busy dividing his time between shooting and making his scope bases. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Macky Locklin

Go to the rimfire........

forum, look up Gordon Eck. He posts under GordonE,
he's the hot RF 'smith right now, along w/Richard Gorham.

HTH

I have seen a reference to Jackie Schmidt having posted pictures of the truing process for Remington actions on this forum. However, I can't find the actual pictures, but mostly, I'm looking for someone to true several 40X rimfire actions for me rather than for me to see the pictures. Since I have no lathe and no precision mechanical skills, the pictures wouldn't help me much anyway except to make me further appreciate the talent of someone who knows what to do. I know there are many out there that can do the mechanical work, but I want to have someone do the job who truly knows how to true the action rather than simply make new threads, leaving the action in worse shape than before. Last one that I had done was done years ago by Bob Brackney, and it was top notch work. However, I think Bob is understandably busy dividing his time between shooting and making his scope bases. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Macky Locklin

X2 what Butch said. When I first wanted to learn and appreciate what these guys can do, I found Mike Bryant's web site with the pics. After understanding the processes invovled, my methods ended up the same a Mike's. Point is, his pics not only say 1000 words, they say 1000 words that work well. http://www.bryantcustom.com/

Macky,
Rimfire 40x truing is similar but you have to look the bolts over and do a few modifications there. I normally do the threads and face on the actions and just lap the lug recess. You have to face the front of the bolt back to .039" as the factory set the face at .043" so if you think you are going to have a tight headspace you will just have a tight bolt with the factory recess. Firing pins also need looked at when you do them. Give me a call if you need.
Brian Voelker

Back