Tropical Storm Fay

Yote

Russell Childs
This storm just won't go away. Unfortunately I'm right above what's left of the eye, catching all of the northside rain bands, which is just continuous rain with no letup right now.

We've been told to expect 14". I hope not! That much rain will cause a lot of problems here. Getting a lot of wind now, but it's 30-40mph, not too bad. Enough to make a mess in the yard though.

Just wondering, does anyone have any scuba gear they are looking to get rid of??:eek:

I live where the weather is very mild... we get rain and winds in the winter but I can not imagine what it is like down there...

Russel, take care and keep us iinformed. I don't know many places that can stand 14" of rain in a short time. Stay dry down there.

BTW, you kin to any of the Childs in Mississippi? I have some kinfolk here that are Childs.

Russel, take care and keep us iinformed. I don't know many places that can stand 14" of rain in a short time. Stay dry down there.

BTW, you kin to any of the Childs in Mississippi? I have some kinfolk here that are Childs.

Thanks Jeff,

We are now on the north east side of the storm. Winds have shifted and are now coming out of the south. Rain is constant. It is absolutely flooding right now. Lost a nice drake elm I planted several years ago outside our bedroom bay window. The top of it is touching the window, glad it didn't come through last nite. Got the scanner on and traffic is heavy. Lines and trees down everywhere but luckily we still have power though it has gone off several times. Been through a few hurricanes and many tropical storms. It's just a waiting game now. It's moving slow and that adds to the amount of rain we are getting. The ground is long past the saturation point. From the looks of the radar, there will be several more hours of this.

As far as being kin to the Childs' in Mississippi, it's possible, but if I am I don't know them. If you're in Miss. get ready, I think this storm is expected to take a hook to the NW and head that way.

All of us in North Georgia would like some of Fay, but it doesn't look like we'll get much. :(

gt40

Guys, y'all pray for us down here feeling the wrath of Tropical Storm Fay. Things are getting dicey now. We're up to 12" now and it's coming down in buckets right now.

Reports coming in on the scanner, water in residences, churches, etc. As I type, a report came in informing LE of a couple barricaded in their home. Their cars are under water. Reports coming in of rescues coming by way of boat. Trees down, lines down. It's starting to get rough. I've lost three trees in my yard and I'm extremely lucky. The ground is so soft it won't hold them up when we get a strong gust of wind. This sideways rain has found a hole in my roof next to the chimney. Don't know if I've lost a shingle or not. Got pans set out and they are playing a tune with the dripping.

Radar shows we still have a lot of rain to go.

Hope I have better news later............

Hey amigo...

...as long as you have electricity and a non complaining wife & kids, you are doing better than I did!!

My family are not cowboys for sure....26 hours w/ no AC and you would have thought the world was coming to an end!!

pf

Survived nite two. It was a whole lot better last nite than Friday nite. We are still getting an occasional rain band to add to the 21" total rain fall I've had with TS Fay.

Nosey people, or maybe just dumb people, are runnning law enforcement and volunteer firemen crazy. Even today, they are trying to drive through water crossing roads. More rescues. They've sent in a chopper from Fort Rucker to rescue some who were swept off the road and down in the woods. Can't reach them by boat cause the water is flowing so fast. This has happened half a dozen times between yesterday afternoon and this morning.

We have had tragedy as well as a 12 year old fell into a small lake at the dam close to the overflow pipe. He was sucked into the pipe and was killed. A 45 year old man went in after him and he too was sucked in and drowned but was revived with cpr. He is in critical condition at the hospital.

School has been cancelled tomorrow because many are still without power and so many roads are washed away. I've been a prisoner here at home but I think I'll go out this afternoon and take a look around. If I can get my camera to work, I may post some pics.

Walked around my property this morning and I have a whole lot of work to do. I can't access the backside till I get a chainsaw in there which means I can't get to my range. Have three guns to sight in, guess the owners will have to wait till I can clear out a path.

So goes the world................:(

Last edited:
Russ, we have gotten some of your rain here so far, but mostly just rain without any high winds. We sure needed it ourselves, just wish I had thought to get some seed and fertilizer this week........

It has slowed down finally so maybe you are getting a break as well. Show what you come up with if you get any photos taken. Take care buddy!!

Back