Trigger pull weight varies occasionly. Similar to fishbone, but a stock Rem trigger

R

Roy Allain

I have a stock Rem trigger which I lowered to 2.5/3 lbs. It's mounted on a Blueprinted Rem 700 SA with a 6.5x 47 Lapua chamber on a Kreiger SS barrel. Don't remember the twist, but I think it's 1:8.

The pull wgt. will be ok, then all of a sudden it will get much heavier. I can't tell you how much since I didn't measure this. I've cleaned the trigger with Ronsonol many times but it will still do this. Would it be possible there is dirt or something in there? Or perhaps I should take the trigger apart and polish the side plates and the parts?

Anything. I'm planning on some 600 and 1000 yard shooting, but not until I get this trigger working correctly or get a Jewel or Shiler to replace it.

Thanks

Roy

Can you repeat the hard pull by finger position on the trigger?

Roy,

I used to adjust Remington triggers to that weight range for several TR (Palma) rifles I shot some time back.

I found that that weight was close to the minimum limit of the trigger & that the trigger weight spring was barely compressed. It seemed that occasionally due to recoil, the end of the trigger would stick in one of the threads that the adjusting screw ran in, either causing excessively high or omigawd low trigger pressure.

I replaced the spring with a longer one with a slightly smaller wire diameter & it functioned impeccably from there on. Dare I sat the spring was a section of the flint spring from the original Bic cigarette lighter of maybe 30 years ago?

John

A few months back, I did a remove, disassemble, clean, deburr, reassemble, replace, and readjust on one that had spent the last 25 hunting seasons on a 7 Mag. and still had the cement on the screw heads. It was horrible when I started, and very good when I finished. Boy was it ever gummed up and dirty. I set it with a conservative amount of sear engagement, and made sure that there was enough trigger spring compression so that there would not be an issue as far as the trigger resetting consistently, and reliably. The fellow fairly beamed when he tried it. He is an older fellow that hunts with a friend. The pull weight had gotten so heavy that it was causing him to pull shots.

Just a personal opinion...but with all your excellent modifications to your rifle; a Jewell trigger would be an excellent addition. Easily installed and it will give years of trouble free service with all the adjustments available from underneath the trigger.

Just a thought...virg

Roy,sounds like you have no spring tension,the sear and connector bar are just setting against each other,metal to metal,probably need to get an aftermarket pull wt. spring,pretty common problem with newer rem. triggers,sometime taking the trigger apart and polishing everything will help,still metal to metal but smoother!!!

Back