Trapping rimfire rounds???

obx22

*sigh*
I like suggestions on material to catch (without damaging) my .22lr rounds for examination.
Years ago I used a type of wet mulch which worked extremely well, showing no deformation to the nose or rifling marks, sadly I no longer have access to it.
Thanks,
warren

Warren, Years back ,Merrill Martin used ordinary shop sweep from his company machine shop. Made a 2x2 plywood box 10 ft long and filled same with shop sweep. Used a metal plate at the end for hi power rounds but none ever left the box. Used a metal detecter over the open box and found the unmarked bullet. Hope this helps. Cheers

I like suggestions on material to catch (without damaging) my .22lr rounds for examination.
Years ago I used a type of wet mulch which worked extremely well, showing no deformation to the nose or rifling marks, sadly I no longer have access to it.
Thanks,
warren

Try a 55 gallon drum (plastic or steel) filled with water..firing into it means the rifle must be vertical, try using a ladder to get the heighth you need..

Eddie in Texas

You know I have often wondered about using water. Ever since I saw the mythbusters shoot guns into a swimming pool and all of the high power rounds just disintegrated, I always wondered why they show some of the police labs using water to trap bullets.
It never made sense.

IIRC, he also said: Don't use the sweep,that had sand in it, as it scoured the bullet.

Warren, Years back ,Merrill Martin used ordinary shop sweep from his company machine shop. Made a 2x2 plywood box 10 ft long and filled same with shop sweep. Used a metal plate at the end for hi power rounds but none ever left the box. Used a metal detecter over the open box and found the unmarked bullet. Hope this helps. Cheers

Thanks,
warren

Page 59 of Dr. Franklin Mann's book "The bullet's flight from powder to target" details a procedure he used with great success. You should be able to find find the pertinent passage here:

http://www.google.com/books?id=QdQq...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Landy

Thanks,
warren

Shop rags layered between crumpled newspaper with cardboard dividers for easy bullet positional finding, ten layers in a 2' wide x 4' long plywood box with firing entry port will be more than long enough for .22lr rounds...............Don

Double layered burlap sacks filled with sawdust and or rubber mulch.

Don & Kevin,

Do you have any pics showing recovered rimfire bullets with your methods?
I'm having a hard time imagining your methods wouldn't deform the surfaces to the point where any useful info could be gained, but I've never tried them and certainly don't know for certain.

Thanks,
Landy

I've never seen any real deformation firing into water - but I wasn't trying to use hyper-velocity stuff either. I was just shooting into a shallow creek with a mud bottom. Most bullets didn't even penetrate the mud. The creek was only about a foot deep. Creek bank was about 4 foot above the water and I was shooting down at steeper than 45°, so never had a problem with ricochet either.

David

Oiled sawdust is what Merrill Martin used in the PS articles.

I've never seen any real deformation firing into water - but I wasn't trying to use hyper-velocity stuff either. I was just shooting into a shallow creek with a mud bottom. Most bullets didn't even penetrate the mud. The creek was only about a foot deep. Creek bank was about 4 foot above the water and I was shooting down at steeper than 45°, so never had a problem with ricochet either.

David

David,

I keep thinking of “Belly Busters” as a youngster when thinking of the resistance of water to the human body and I guess I’ve always thought that much deceleration would deform the bullet or wipe out the finer details we’d like to see of the rifling.
Were the bullets you recovered pristine?

Dr. Franklin Mann fired into snow banks in the winter and then recovered the bullets after the snow melted. Obviously, that’s not ideal for an instant analysis. LOL
He had great luck when he started using oiled sawdust but the recipe for his mixture had to be just right. He also used cast bullets, some of which probably had higher Brinell numbers than rimfire, so it’s possible none of the methods being mentioned may be suitable for rimfire.

Right or wrong, I’ve always believed Cg offset is the largest component of cast and rimfire dispersion at the target. Do you remember the testing I did where I tried to duplicate Harold Vaughn’s experiments of the same?

http://landy-smallboreprecision.blogspot.com/2011/04/cg-offset-effect-on-smallbore-bullets.html

If we could mark the bullet and index it in the chamber so that mark would be identifiable after the bullet is recovered, we might be able to make some assumptions concerning the merits of different chambers and the quality of specific barrels after carefully measuring the recovered bullets along with their location plotted on the target. Dr. Mann also did some work in this area and his and Vaughn’s books should be required reading for both rimfire and centerfire shooters.

Landy

David,

I keep thinking of “Belly Busters” as a youngster when thinking of the resistance of water to the human body and I guess I’ve always thought that much deceleration would deform the bullet or wipe out the finer details we’d like to see of the rifling.
Were the bullets you recovered pristine?

Landy
As I remember it, I'd say yes. I could easily make out the rifling grooves. As well as the individual striations in each groove. At one point I tried mounting a rifled barrel extension - going from a 6 groove bbl to a 16 groove Microgroove, and could clearly see the superposition on the bullet. They did not mushroom, (at least not to my untrained eye 20+ years ago) but then again they were subsonic rounds as well. I didn't put a micrometer to them to see if there was some plumping due to the impact with the water. While that wouldn't surprise me much if there was, it wasn't enough to detect without instruments.

Last edited:
Landy, I sure enjoyed your post number 15. I watch for your writings and always find them informative and interesting.

Gene Beggs

well i do that but it does leave marks in the bullets so it will not work here.
on larger bullets like 44 mag i can grab them in the crimp or lube groove and not damage the exterior...

right...
lol
mike in co.....
I've been waiting for the guy in Colorado to tell us he catches them in his teeth.

Landy, I sure enjoyed your post number 15. I watch for your writings and always find them informative and interesting.

Gene Beggs

Gene,

Thanks, I appreciate your comment.

Its been a long while since we've visited. I'm hoping to get to your tunnel and do some BS'ing or testing in the near future....maybe this fall. My biggest problem is making any plans at all because everytime I do, they go to Hell in a handbasket. LOL

Landy

Back